BC Boards

BC Fears?

My almost 5 month old Whinny is scared to death of the vacuum cleaner. When it just sits there, not even on. If we open the closet to where it is, shes gone, and it takes a few minutes to find her and by that time you have to coax her out and reassure her that its ok.

Shes getting better when I blow dry my hair, she'll at least come in the room I'm in while doing it, but still freaks at the sight of the vacuum....anyone else have similar situations?

LOL you are not alone!

I actually had a BC/Germanshep that I was fotsering pee on the Vacuum cleaner, but as soon as it started, he was gone!!! usally under a bed!

and my parents dogs, the 6yr old Golden Ret. will whine every time he sees it then run, while the chow/lab just lays in your way dogs a silly!!

BCs tend to be the most "fear" dog around. Lots of them are very sound sensitive (the vac is lound - maybe that is why). More then any other breed Border Collies are scared of thunder, fireworks, shouting people, car door slams, gunshots, etc.

Dazzle used to be scared to death of the sound the Agility teeter totter makes, if she saw the teeter, she would just shake and makes herself as small as possible. It took a long time to train her out of that fear.

So how did you get yours to come out of it? Give them a treat or praise them everytime they would come in visual contact with it? Sometimes she wont even see it I just open the closet and shes gone, either that or if I pull a broom out and she thinks i'm going to get the vacuum shes gone again...

poor girl! I feel bad for her!

What I have done in the past is just reassure them AS I am pulling out the vac, how you reassure Her is up to you, I used treats, just to say, Good boy, for not panicking/peeing on it as soon as he saw it. then again after i got done using the cleaner. he was still a little on edge but over tiem realaized that the vac wasn't going to eat him.

Our older dog Jetta is terrified of the vaccum. I tried giving her treats when it was around etc but it didn't help so I just tell her to go away before I get it out, or I put her in her kennel. When I got Hannah (my BC) as a pup, I didn't want her to have that fear of the vaccum so the first few times I brought it out and just left it on the floor off. Then I started to move the head around with it off as if I was vaccuming but slowly. Now I've created a monster who herds and attacks the vaccum and is obsessed with it....but, in my opinion thats better than a dog that gets stressed and terrified of it.

Meg goes outside when I vacuum and looks totally disgusted with me the entire time I am working. Ruby doesn't get in the way, but leaves the immediate area, and if she is in her crate she gives me the evil BC eye when I come near with that THING. One of the Bouviers doesn't move until the vacuum touches her, and the other just looks imposed upon that I have disturbed his rest, Looking back, we had one that attacked the vacuum, so I would put her out when I needed to use it. Another was afraid of it, and two others were disgusted with it. They are all different. Most of them don't like it. They do get used to it after a while but never like it!

Kathy Robbins

Our Meg hates the following: flute playing, vaccuum cleaners, pneumatic nailers, power drills, power saws, air compressors....anything that has a high and loud frequency overtone. I think it hurts her ears.

She hides, sulks, heads down or up the hill and cowers for quite awhile after they stop making noise. We desensitized her to the objects themselves however, by constantly throwing her ball in their direction. She realizes that unless I grab them she's ok.

Misty has issues with the flyswatter, she doesnt take off and ide, she flying around barking and otherwise acting stressed, she does not have to see it or hear it, she just "knows" when it is in anyones hands. she is also afraid of trains, the garbage truck, and she attackes the vacuum cleaner, though she is getting better with that one. Happy is not afraid of much, just her fear aggression with starnge dogs, outside of that shes fine with anything. Electra(Toller) is not afraid of much, just camoflauge clothing which really is probably not an ideal thing for a hunting dog to be afraid of lol

Jester is most afraid of flapping cloth. IE: if I am folding the laundry he makes himself scarce immediately, because I might shake out a towel, and we all know how dangerous that is! :rolleyes: He also is afraid of any noise that is a click, snap, flap, bang, or slap. Flyswatters are very scary things, and of course the vacuum cleaner is also dangerous. Plastic bags, too. Very scary things. Of course, we all know that attacks by plastic bags are on the rise nation-wide, so he's just being a safe dog. :D

Hahahaha Shayna - - I have a fly-swatter attacker too - my Aussie Tess goes ballistic about it even before it is used - - same with the vacuum cleaner if it is running she attacks it - when she was a pup the lid of the garbage can fell off and freaked her out - - I thought hmmmmmmmm not a bad thing.....she still doesn't go near the garbage!

Now Roz the BC pup - same as Whinney 5 mo old - - has fears of anything motorized also - - blow-dryer - lawn mower - garbage disposal and a major fear of the vacuum -on or off - altho desensitising fears is probably a good idea - -I have used it to my advantage - I park the vacuum in the foyer which keeps her from going into the rest of the house to get into puppy-trouble!!

Guess that makes me a bad mommy......... :rolleyes:

these posts have really amused me, even though its not funny to see our lovly dogs afraid. When i first had Badger, 11 years ago now , he had never been indoors, i did'nt know that, he was afraid of almost everything. Flyswats, newspapar, even a light switch at one time. As i cured him of one he would find another. He became really scared everytime i opened a cupboard in the kitchen, i hated to see him so scared, so i sat him in the kitchen and opened every cupboard then shut them, all the time saying good boy, we did this for only five mins but he soon learnt all was ok. He is still scared of raised voices but mostly if there is swear words in the voices, he just goes to the safety of under the bed where i leave him, eventually a little head comes round the door for a cuddle. :rolleyes:

I'm not sure if it is fear or just wanting to attack it, but fireworks really get Jackson going! Bottle rockets just about make him crazy! He tries so hard to chase them into the sky! It is funny but, I think one day he will succeed! He does the same with guns. We have to keep him in the yard if we are shooting as he tries to attack the gun. He is still afraid of the can with the coins in it. And no matter who I am getting on to, he takes it personnaly. Skip so far is not afraid of anything but the broom. And that is only cuz I use it to scram him out of the bathroom away from the kitty litter. The foster girls have not shown any signs of fear.

ETA: When I use the bamboo backscratcher, Skip attacks it, is that fear or protecting me from the evil claw? :rolleyes:

Kessie is afraid of anything that involves air pressure or water pressure. Farmers hosing their tractors down, for example. And the evil vacuum cleaner. Flyswatters, too. Funny how many of them have the same fears!

Bangs don't impress her at all (it's me who has to leave if anybody is carrying a gun around). Even those silly balloons that are always exploding at McDonald's restaurants don't distract her from praying for a hamburger.

She's also afraid of some people in the dark.

And as much as she loves Pink Floyd, when the ghost comes in the middle of "Echoes" she leaves the room.

Originally posted by Rainierlass:

-I have used it to my advantage - I park the vacuum in the foyer which keeps her from going into the rest of the house to get into puppy-trouble!!

Guess that makes me a bad mommy......... :rolleyes:

Hey thats not a bad idea :D hahaha. She definatley wouldnt go anywhere the vacuum is visable. Poor girl.

I didn't get back to this post for awhile!

Wow, and I thought Dazzle as chicken! :rolleyes:

Using the clicker I teach Dazzle to touch (with nose or paw) the thing she is scard of (starting out she just has to take a step towards it). Whatever I do this for, she now falls in love with whatever it is! For example, the Teeter Totter is now one of her more favorite obstacles!

brighid used to be scared of cabbages, but only if they were uprooted and still had the stalks on!

to be fair though it only happened a couple of times, then she found one covered with liver treats!

oh and standing stones, they seemed pretty scary too. good job i never took her to stonehenge!! again this was swiftly overcome by a secret visit from the liver treat fairy!

Bo barks at and tries to herd the vacuum. But he is a big chicken about: guns, fireworks, flyswatters, the bread machine, campfires and the sound of a bottle of soda being opened. He thinks distant thunder is someone at the door, so must bark at that! He seems to look embarassed when he realizes no one is out there!!