BC Boards

Just a little brag!!

Dean Dog earned his very first title this past weekend at a CPE trial.

A year ago he couldn't even be around dogs doing Agility and he couldn't do much more than jump low or run through tunnels and the chute. This weekend he was calm in the trial setting and focused on the task at hand and he earned four Q's and two titles!! He has come a long, long, long way and I couldn't be more pleased with him!! :rolleyes:

Way to go Dean and Kristine!!! That's great news. You should be very proud of yourself and the Dean dog.

Hmmm -

calm in the trial setting and focused on the task at hand
- maybe I need to 'talk' with you some more - I might even be able to get my mad Fergus into trialling. (His latest trick was to do his frantic grass-grabbing anxiety behavior in the slow pace of a heeling routine in an obedience trial :rolleyes: )

Congrats! That's really an accomplishment. :rolleyes: Good Dean!!

• 2 weeks later...

Tassie ~ "frantic grass-grabbing anxiety behavior"? Do you mean when the dog took a big bite and pull the grass off the ground? I just had a second Border Collie over a month ago and she's hard of hearing. She happens to be my other dog Nicky's little sister. She's now 18 months old and her big brother is 2 years old. We had Border Collies before but I never had experiences with a dog who grabbed the grass in her mouth and pulled it off the ground! I wonder if that is had to do with anxiety after I read what you said "frantic grass-grabbing anxiety behavior". Hannah does that while I was throwing a Frisbee to Nicky and I thought "I should have brought the ball with me to keep her busy with it instead of obession (the right word?) with the grass. I know some bad habits are not good for Border Collies. I also have another problem with Hannah that she's obession with shadows everywhere we move but I poked her shoulder every time to distracting her. I realized it's going to take longer b/c I have to work three full days a week and I can't correct her when she does that. My parents won't do it for me. They don't understand it is not good for her or any Border Collie. Well, I'm doing the best as I can with Hannah. I'm teaching her hand signals since she cannot hear the voices but can hear very loud. I can't keep talking so loud next to her all the times so I have to teach her hand signals. She and I go to the training class when I found out Nicky's dog trainer have experienced training the deaf dogs and I can't do it by myself at the beginning b/c my mother and I don't see eye to eye so the dog trainer is helping me and also I can teach Hannah to get use to stranger dogs b/c she doesn't have socializes with stranger dogs outside the farm all her life. Aah. Big challenge!

Tassie ~ "frantic grass-grabbing anxiety behavior"? Do you mean when the dog took a big bite and pull the grass off the ground?

Yes - that's the sort of thing I mean - different from just having a nice normal chew on some juicy grass.

Well, I'm doing the best as I can with Hannah. I'm teaching her hand signals since she cannot hear the voices but can hear very loud. I can't keep talking so loud next to her all the times so I have to teach her hand signals. She and I go to the training class when I found out Nicky's dog trainer have experienced training the deaf dogs and I can't do it by myself at the beginning b/c my mother and I don't see eye to eye so the dog trainer is helping me and also I can teach Hannah to get use to stranger dogs b/c she doesn't have socializes with stranger dogs outside the farm all her life. Aah. Big challenge!

Sounds like you have taken on a handful - but you're lucky to have found an experienced trainer, and Hannah is lucky that you're recognizing her needs.

Sorry to have been long in replying - been away agility trialling.

Yes, the reason I can recognize her needs is b/c I'm also hearing impaired so I know what it's like for her and the Breeder does, too, since he also is hearing impaired. When previous owner (who happened to be his friend) found out that Hannah lost some hearing loss caused by ear infections when she was a small pup and the owner asked the Breeder to put her down for them b/c they couldn't do it but the Breeder refused to put her down and he took her (he usually don't take the pup(s) back) to his farm to prevent it. The reason the owner thought to put her down b/c she was hard to deal with and hard to wake her up and couple other things I forget what. He couldn't find anybody who wants a hearing impaired dog until a year later I contacted him and asked about the puppies available but he does not b/c he already sold out the puppies last Spring. I asked him about Hannah b/c there was a picture of Hannah on his website and I asked him if she is Nicky's little sister when I noticed that both my dogs have same parents and he said yes. He said he was willing to give me her if I'm interesting. I thought I'll give it try. I did not find hard to deal with her and it was not difficult to wake her up. I noticed that she have a very good sense of smell b/c one morning I was trying to sneaking by without making a noise so I get ready before I wake her up b/c her nose pick up my sense pretty quick!! She recognizes my smell and woke up and so exciting to meet me! I thought "Darn! I was hoping to get ready first!" b/c I don't take her out for her potty and she'll have accidents. I realized she doesn't know how to tell me when she needs to go out like my other dog Nicky does. Funny, Nicky stop doing that when he needs to go out b/c every time he barks and she ran over and barks at him for barking! Silly girl! She doesn't understands yet why Nicky does that. Oh, brother! What a challenge I'm going to face for many years (not that I'm complaining but it's kind of hard sometimes b/c she cannot hear some) with her!!

I forget. Did someone on this board told me who have deaf dog and blind dog, too? What hand signals have you done for your deaf dog?

Hannah is doing very well in her training class (I forget the name of it) but after three classes the trainer and I realized she was getting bored with simple commands that she was doing very well and the trainer just asked me to move her to the next level (intermediate class) b/c she wants to keep Hannah's brain going and she's very smart dog. She did the great job at the first class of intermediate class last Sunday. Boy, people kept surprising how well Hannah is doing and how surprising that Hannah is hard of hearing. I guess you don't hear deaf dogs very often.

I was just thinking now. I figured it was hard to deal with Hannah was maybe b/c she was a puppy and they might not have hearing dog with her. It's make a big difference to have hearing dog with hearing impaired or deaf dog b/c they take "cue" from the hearing dog. Hannah took some cues from Nicky depends on what is it.

post-9297-1223957199_thumb.jpg

post-9297-1223957527_thumb.jpg

post-9297-1223957670_thumb.jpg

post-9297-1223957811_thumb.jpg

Congrats to Dean and to you! Four Q's and two titles. That's something to be proud of, for sure.

Charlie and I will be in our very first agility trial in just a few weeks. I'm so nervous. Charlie can be reactive around other dogs in a highly-charged situation. He has gotten much, much better, but I'm not sure how he will handle the chaos and excited atmosphere of an actual trial. I guess we won't know until we try.

Charlie and I will be in our very first agility trial in just a few weeks. I'm so nervous. Charlie can be reactive around other dogs in a highly-charged situation. He has gotten much, much better, but I'm not sure how he will handle the chaos and excited atmosphere of an actual trial. I guess we won't know until we try.

I wish you the best! Please let us know how it goes!

You never do know unless you try. He just might surprise you!