BC Boards

Pups that flank around to try to stop you from walking

When Jake came home at the age of 5 months he had this tendency, when he went out with me he would flank around into my path and try to hold, I just ignored him and walked through him, he would then reset getting back into my path. Hindsight I often wondered if that was the right thing to do or if there was something else we should do that would help out later on in his training, by walking through his block was I were causing other issues with his confidence to hold pressure along with creating his tendency to get out bigger to hold the draw. Now, I have some pups of his and they tend to do the same thing, I decided to change course and derail the pups from the action making them stay beside me basically teaching them the right place to walk with me as opposed trying to stop me. If they do end in front of me, I stop, call them off to me.

I guess what I am asking is what would be your advise as to how to handle pups that exhibit this tendency, or does it matter what I do with them at this point?

One of his pups is showing really strong, I've started him on stock, I have not allowed him to lock the stock up, we do alot of driving and then let him have short flanks to set a new drive line with a few long ones and a fetch here and there, I'm not drilling on him just letting him learn that we can move the sheep and control the sheep. I've noticed that he is way more relaxed on stock then his sire was, which makes me think I am on the right path with this style of dog, but I'm uncertain if the change in handling has caused the difference or if the pup is just not as strong willed as his sire.

I had asked advice from you on the sire earlier this year, at that time he was flanking huge to camp out in the draw. I have him through that issue and have trialed him a bit this summer with moderate success, he still is weak at driving but does give me his inside flanks, so I am gaining quite a bit on him.

Thanks for your time.

Deb

When Jake came home at the age of 5 months he had this tendency, when he went out with me he would flank around into my path and try to hold, I just ignored him and walked through him, he would then reset getting back into my path. Hindsight I often wondered if that was the right thing to do or if there was something else we should do that would help out later on in his training, by walking through his block was I were causing other issues with his confidence to hold pressure along with creating his tendency to get out bigger to hold the draw. Now, I have some pups of his and they tend to do the same thing, I decided to change course and derail the pups from the action making them stay beside me basically teaching them the right place to walk with me as opposed trying to stop me. If they do end in front of me, I stop, call them off to me.

I guess what I am asking is what would be your advise as to how to handle pups that exhibit this tendency, or does it matter what I do with them at this point?

One of his pups is showing really strong, I've started him on stock, I have not allowed him to lock the stock up, we do alot of driving and then let him have short flanks to set a new drive line with a few long ones and a fetch here and there, I'm not drilling on him just letting him learn that we can move the sheep and control the sheep. I've noticed that he is way more relaxed on stock then his sire was, which makes me think I am on the right path with this style of dog, but I'm uncertain if the change in handling has caused the difference or if the pup is just not as strong willed as his sire.

I had asked advice from you on the sire earlier this year, at that time he was flanking huge to camp out in the draw. I have him through that issue and have trialed him a bit this summer with moderate success, he still is weak at driving but does give me his inside flanks, so I am gaining quite a bit on him.

Thanks for your time.

Deb

Yes, you are doing the right thing. All border collie puppies have a tendency to do this to varying degress. All bc pups should learn to walk beside their handler and on a leash properly, as well as being corrected (fair, firm, consistant) for any undesirable behaviors.

Glad you are progressing with your other dog.

Vergil

Yes, you are doing the right thing. All border collie puppies have a tendency to do this to varying degress. All bc pups should learn to walk beside their handler and on a leash properly, as well as being corrected (fair, firm, consistant) for any undesirable behaviors.

Glad you are progressing with your other dog.

Vergil

Thank you, it's been interesting to say the least.