BC Boards

Has anyone read "The Dog's Mind"

Kyna

Hi Nancy,

Well let me know what you think of it when you read it. I read the intro and then skipped ahead to the aging section - I found it really interesting so far and will double back to the begining. What I got from Fogle is that traditionally science has not looked at animals as sentient beings, i.e. they don't think/feel/plan. He quotes some recent studies (in the 90's) that show the contrary - which to me was a no-brainer. I was trained as a biologist and my Dad is a scientist - he always argued that I was arguing with emotion and not being subjective when it came to the capacity of animals to feel/think - he and I used to have arguments about anthromorphesizing animals. I never doubted that animals thought differently from humans but I always 'felt/believed' that they did think which Fogle supports. I just don't know how you can live with a dog and not know that he or she is a planner, thinker, feeler, comforter, coniver (if that's a word) etc.

So far he makes a lot of sense to me and I would be interested to hear what you think when you get to it!

All the best,

Kyna