BC Boards

Space Issues

I know both male and females alike can have their issues with space, going on the Border Collies I am exposed to, it is definitely the females who are more snarky when their space is invaded.

I'm wondering if the females out weigh the males in this area.

In my house, the answer is unequivocally yes - the females are bitchier. My "combined pack" includes 2 females (BCxACD) and four males (two BC mixes, an Aussie and a Brittany). We could add males all day long. While the males will posture and pee on things, its the girls who are willing to use their teeth with a purpose.

That said, I have a friend in rescue with a large number of BC fosters and she has the opposite experience.

Lisa

With the exception of Woo, all my dogs are bitches about their space. That includes the boys.

Briggs and Sport were/are both brutal about it. Tweed has a very short fuse. Piper doesn't like it, but gives a lot of warning and take a while to get to the teeth stage.

Mr. Woo is generally pretty affable.

RDM

I'm talking about another dog coming into a females space/face.

There was a group of us taking about this and several in the group were trainers of obedience and various sports. It was brought up that BC bitches are much more wary of giving up their space, in their experience, than other breeds.

All 3 of my females are not willing to share space with "most" dogs. They will tolerate some dogs for a while.

I'm talking about another dog coming into a females space/face.

It was brought up that BC bitches are much more wary of giving up their space, in their experience, than other breeds.

I would tend to agree with this "in general" observation - obviously, dogs are individuals and there are males that are bitchy, and there are females who have no space issues. But as a whole, in my experience, I think females tend to be less "touchy-feely" with humans too. Not to say they are un-affectionate, but the boys tend to be up your butt affectionate! LOL! I have a house full of male dogs, and recently brought in a 7 month female foster BC....she set them all straight in about 3 minutes flat! She was showing ugly girl face (big toothy smile) to any dog that stepped into her circle of space uninvited! The boys just climb on top of each other, etc. - but if they think they're going to step too closely into her space, they just might get snapped at. I had 2 previous female fosters who were very similar. The girls seem content to be in the room with me - the boys want to be really-really close or touching me.

Hmmm - kinda similar to human boys and girls now that I think about it. :rolleyes:

I would say that generally speaking, female dogs (of any breed) are bitchier than males. In my house, the female BC is totally chilled. The female American Eskimo though - she'd kill even her best friend if it entered her house. My male mutt doesn't react to much of anything, unless another dog actually gets ON him. But I think that's because it hurts (he's quite arthritic).

Most people I've spoken to say that their females are far more possessive (of their humans, homes, rooms, toys, dogs, etc) which leads to the teeth show-down. Which is true in my home, for the one female.

My female definitely has space issues and guarding of space issues. Both my female dogs do...except the older one is not a BC and does not guard space...just don't get within 2 feet of her and don't touch her or else she will snap/snarl (unless it is an intact male...then he is her lover and friend forever and she will never stop pestering him).