BC Boards

The Cross Drive

I'm having trouble with several issues on the cross drive but the one I am having the most trouble with is when the sheep are high and I need to bring them back on-line. Particularly if it happens near the end of the cross drive. My dogs seem to think I want them fetched to me when I try to turn them towards me in order to get them back on-line. Have no trouble turning them away when they are low - but sure don't get what I want when they are high. Worst case I end up with them at my feet!

What can I do to fix this?

Sharon Woolman

Jenison, MI

I'm having trouble with several issues on the cross drive but the one I am having the most trouble with is when the sheep are high and I need to bring them back on-line. Particularly if it happens near the end of the cross drive. My dogs seem to think I want them fetched to me when I try to turn them towards me in order to get them back on-line. Have no trouble turning them away when they are low - but sure don't get what I want when they are high. Worst case I end up with them at my feet!

What can I do to fix this?

Sharon Woolman

Jenison, MI

Basically the dog is not actually driving, you are just able to hold it from bringing the sheep back to you most of the time. You need to do lots of driving exercises and short flanks, short flanks, short flanks. The dog needs to expect all short flanks, not long flanks (the long flank becomes the exception, not the rule). The dog needs 2 seperate commands - short flanks and long flanks.

Good luck -

Vergil