BC Boards

Polly's Diet

Welcome!

Try doing a search on "food". You'll find lots of information.

I wouldn't feed puppy chow, or pretty much anything else that you can buy in the grocery store. I think the best value priced kibble is Diamond - you can usually get it in farm stores or pet stores. Diamond company also make Chicken Soup brand food, and Premium Edge food. which are both pretty doog.

Canidae all life stages is really good. It costs a little more, but I think it is a great food and value for the money.

Some of the Nutro kibble is also a decent choice, but in my area it is almost the same price as Canidae.

What's "doog"? hehe

Yes, I would switch her off of Puppy Chow pronto! It's really not a good quality food for her to grow up on... just read the label for proof of that! A majority of corn, soy, wheat, and by-products just can't be good nutrition. Canidae is awesome! Nutro is fairly good, but if you're looking for something available in Petco/Petsmart, Natural Balance (all life stages) and Blue Buffalo are much better. And they are economical, because it requires so much less good quality food to keep your pup at a good weight than feeding lower quality food (thanks to the tonnes of fillers in grocery store kibble)! My puppy eats just 1 cup a day and he's very healthy, on Purina he would require 2 or 3x that.

I myself feed Nutro and am pretty happy with it so far. Was forced to switch my pups food due to awful allergies to corn, wheat, soy or the protein source-we aren't sure which...but if she stays good we dont' care...lol. We will jsut keep her on this..

And it was worth it. I just hope all of the poor girl's fur grows back. If this doesn't keep her regular(no diarrhea) or from itching, then we will look into the Natural Balance, or Innova.

Thanks to everyone for suggestions. I read the back threads and found them to be most helpful. I'm so glad I found this board. lI was able to find a source for Canidae and have my fingers crossed that if we introduce it slowly that she will have an easy time getting used to it. Polly is truly a delight, we marvel at her personality and antics daily! What a handful she is!

I didn't see the Nutrina brand in the store--but I'll will keep that in mind if Polly has problems with the Canidae. She is almost 20lbs @ 14 weeks--all ears and legs. I have read that there may be cause for concern if they grow too fast. Polly's newest trick is going to the mailbox with me and getting a piece of junkmail to carry back to the house. too cute!! (I "plant" a piece to make sure she has a job) She also goes with my husband to bring the newspaper up the hill every morning. After spending almost 100 bucks on toys, (and seeing some strange looking poo), I realized that other than the Kong line, nothing is made that she cannot destroy.