BC Boards

Keeping a BC busy.

Hi all. New here.

I'm considering buying a trained BC for my retired dad who keeps busy doing what he loves on his small farm. He owns about 40 red Angus. 5 horses and also bee keeping. So its not a business but a hobby farm. My sister who is a large animal vet told me that Border collies are borderline psychotic and need to be kept busy. If you don't, they will keep busy by chasing cars, digging bomb holes in the yard, or eating the siding off your home. The neighbors driveway runs though the middle of his farm.

Would this be the case if I were to buy him a expensive trained BC?

And if so. What breed would you recommend for a single 82 year old retired doctor who loves hard work and refuses to down size and move into town..

Thanks before hand.

:rolleyes: Apparently your sister has not been around a well-trained working BC :D A well-trained working BC will be ready to work at the drop of a hat, but when not working will be more than happy to snooze on the porch, or in its kennel, or ride around the ranch in the truck or ATV with the owner. They like to be with their people, so lots of ranchers have them along as they are just out doing odd chores on the place--fixing fence, feeding, whatever, and they are really content to just hang out with their person. I would not, however, just leave the dog loose on the ranch to find its own amusement--that could lead to trouble. I would have the dog with me, or put up when not working. And as for breeds--I would absolutely stick with a working-bred, trained-to-work-cattle BC,

A

ETA: Oops--sorry. I just realized this is in the ask the expert section.

Thanks. I guess I should have posted this in another forum for more responces.

I hope I didn't offend anyone.

Unfortunately these exist, but they are typically the products of poor breeding, poor socialization and poor training!

A well bred, well trained border collie could be an asset for your father both as a help on the farm as well as a companion. Look for a retired open dog or at least one with some years and mileage on it, for instance someone selling their farm dog because they have sold out ,etc. Look carefully, ask questions, watch the dog work and interact with people and its environment.

Good luck -

Vergil

:rolleyes: Apparently your sister has not been around a well-trained working BC :D A well-trained working BC will be ready to work at the drop of a hat, but when not working will be more than happy to snooze on the porch, or in its kennel, or ride around the ranch in the truck or ATV with the owner. They like to be with their people, so lots of ranchers have them along as they are just out doing odd chores on the place--fixing fence, feeding, whatever, and they are really content to just hang out with their person. I would not, however, just leave the dog loose on the ranch to find its own amusement--that could lead to trouble. I would have the dog with me, or put up when not working. And as for breeds--I would absolutely stick with a working-bred, trained-to-work-cattle BC,

A

ETA: Oops--sorry. I just realized this is in the ask the expert section.

No problem! Your answer is right on!

Vergil