BC Boards

I'm getting a foster dog!!

I am so excited and nervous, too. His name is Mick and I am doing an "emergency foster". He has been in foster care for a while but we were recently overwhelmed with dogs, including a bunch from a puppymill/byb that was shut down so we are scrambling to find places for these dogs. Some of the new dogs coming into rescue are dog aggressive and I don't feel qualified to handle them, but I have volunteered to foster a current dog to open up a spot at a more experienced foster home. One of the intake coordinators knows that I have a soft spot for Mick and suggested I take him (I think she is hoping I end up adopting him - sneaky, huh? ).

He is coming down from Maine. Doesn't he look like a sweetie?

Mick01-01.jpg

What a handsome fellow! I like that dignified look of his, even if it's all show . Good luck with him!

Yeah, Bailey is an absolute sweetheart. Just a great dog, but for some reason there hasn't been a lot of interest in him. No one knows why.

Casey (the one I was thinking about getting) is generating all sorts of interest though. He is also a great dog and has come a long way. He met my cats (and they properly beat him into submission) and now he is suitable for a home with cats.. :rolleyes: Hopefully he won't be scarred for life...

I told his foster mom that if no one else adopts Casey, I would be happy to. (I don't feel like I am the best home for him at this point and she feels the same way about her house). We both love him though and his foster mom is being very selective about who she lets him go to...they'll have to be very special!

I am anxiously waiting for news on when I will get Mick. They are still trying to figure out how to get him across Massachusetts.

Okay, I just spoke with Mick's foster mom - he sounds like a perfect match for us. From the sounds of it, it does seem like the master plan is for me to adopt him Gotta love these wiley rescue people. We'll see how it goes. I am getting really excited though. I think he will be a perfect fit for me and Dublin.

(His foster mom so doesn't want to let him go!)

So if this does work out and I just got conned into adopting another dog, :rolleyes: I guess there will be even more BCs at the NC get-together!

Originally posted by Kitch:

Yeah, Bailey is an absolute sweetheart. Just a great dog, but for some reason there hasn't been a lot of interest in him. No one knows why.

Maybe he was meant to be yours. I'm a big believer in fate. Congrats! How exciting.

Posted the update on the wrong thread:

Okay, I just checked my email and it looks like one of the dogs that was going to Mick's foster mom got put down due to increased aggression. So she has suggested post-poning the transport until after my next business trip, which is the week of Memorial Day. His foster mom is really attached to him and doesn't want to give him up - I understand, I couldn't imagine giving up a dog either - but at the same time I am a little bummed out.

I will still be getting him, though, because his foster mom has said that he would do much better with just one dog instead of her pack of 5. He gets along with all the dogs, he would just prefer a bigger share of the attention.

Now I have to wait...I am so not a patient person!