BC Boards

Weaves

Also, pushing the poles out of the way is not considered "weaving" by some people. In NADAC, this can even be faulted as unsafe obstacle performance.

I'm starting to wonder if getting the dog out of the crate is going to be considered unsafe in NADAC. :rolleyes:

From my experience and watching other people train weaves -- channels, WAM's, 2x2, guide wires, even the old lure method -- I truly believe that any method will work if the trainer is consistent, keeps it fun and believes in the method. I can't imagine getting fast, independent, reliable weaves using a lure but I've seen a number of trainers achieve just that with their dogs.

I think that Liz is absolutely right. There are so many ways to teach poles, and they all work. The challenge is to find the one that works best for you. For example, I would have liked to have tried Nancy Gyes' channel poles with ex-pens, but I didn't have access to the 8 ex-pens required to make the channels. I chose 2x2 for Wick, mostly because it was easy to set up the equipment, and because it was new (at the time). To be honest, I never really understood what it was teaching, though, and I would have benefited greatly from working with someone who was familiar with the method. Ah well, it's all just a series of regrets. :D

So find a method that makes sense to you, find someone to help you troubleshoot any little issues that may pop up, and believe in your method. Oh, and what everyone else said: your dog is too young to start any kind of weave training. Enjoy the puppy time, do some research on the different methods, envision what you want as the final product, and keep it in mind when it's finally time to train the dog.

Enjoy the journey!

- I'm amazed at the dog whose growth plates were closed "several months" before 13 months - all joints, or just one that was checked???)completely closed.

diane

I'm the one w\ the pup whose growth plates closed by 7ish months. What happened was that Gracie started to come into her 1st season & I had decided not to spay her til her growth plates were closed so I had them x-rayed to see how they were coming along. Lo & behold (& much to my AND the vet's shock) ALL her growth plates showed 95-98% closure. She's probably not all BC (I refer to her as a "Pure-bred Georgia Woodsdog" when people ask :rolleyes: ) and now I'm thinking she may be mixed w/ a smaller breed causing the early growth plate closure. I know she's the exception not the rule but I still think its worthwhile to start looking at the progress of the growth plates at 8 months or so.