BC Boards

Why are some knowledgeable people involved with AKC/BCSA?

Sue R

Are you involved with AKC/BCSA with Border Collies?   

14 members have voted

1. 1. In what ways are you involved with AKC/BCSA?

• I participate in AKC herding activities by judging, competing, or hosting/helping at events.
    • I breed AKC-registered dogs and sell to AKC homes
    • I participate in AKC/BCSA performance sports
    • BCSA support (I work actively with the BCSA to provide information, programs, volunteer time)
    • I participate in AKC/BCSA conformation competitions.
    • Other
  2. 2. Why are you involved with AKC/BCSA?

• It is the best venue for my choice of dog activities where I am located.
    • I do not feel that AKC/BCSA pose any threat to the Border Collie breed as a working stockdog.
    • I feel that AKC/BCSA herding events are a good test of a working dog's ability.
    • I think AKC/BCSA is the future for the Border Collie in the USA.
    • I enjoy AKC/BCSA activities.
    • My dog enjoys AKC/BCSA activities.
    • My job/livelihood require participation in some way (training, competition, support).

Hi Sue,

I am a member of the Canadian Kennel Club. I need to be in order to be the president of our local kennel club. I am also the trial organizer for the club's annual obedience trials. Since the club does not run conformation events, I don't feel too conflicted. I fought hard as a member of CKC to keep the Border Collie OUT of CKC..to no avail.

As a matter of conscience, I don't run my BC's in any CKC events although I could. If the CKC had only allowed BCs in performance events and not in conformation, I might feel differently.

I haven't read this whole thread, just the poll. I do AKC agility with my dog. But, I didn't see a "reason" in your poll for why I do it. I happen to live in an area with very limited dog sport opportunities - no flyball, no disc dogging, no dock diving, etc. There is a place to go herding about 45 minutes away, but I don't care for style of the instructor and it's too expensive for my pocket book anyway. It's unfortunate, because other areas of Florida have a tremendous number of dog sport choices. But, not here and I'm not entirely sure why. Agility is actually the only dog sport opportunity within in a respectable driving distance. Even then, I have to drive about an hour to get to my one "good" agility class. I drive a half an hour to get to 2 other agility classes that are less structured, so I use them merely as practice classes. All are AKC classes. They do AKC courses and teach AKC rules. So, I can either do AKC agility or no agility at all. I would love to have other choices because I think that many other agility associations have more fun and more diverse and challenging events than AKC.

I don't know if there is any AKC herding around here, but I don't do any herding with my dog.

Anna and Boop (I mean, Betty) and Julie - Your answers and input are precisely what I was looking for. Thank you, especially Anna for the "history" concerning folks in her area.

Kris K - I was in a similar position, as an AKC affiliate club member, because that's where I took my dogs for puppy and family dog classes and, further on, as an assistant instructor for puppy and family dog (not at all limited in any way to AKC folks, pedigreed dogs, etc., - it was open to all and I'd guess the majority of pups/dogs served were rescue, shelter, and non-purebred, but all loved).

Mary P - I wish you had caught the beginning of the topic before answering the poll as my interest was directed towards folks who do stockwork with dogs and not dog sports (except as periforal activities - I pressed the wrong button and the poll was posted too soon and was not finished). No harm done.

I can understand your being involved for a "recreational" pursuit with your dogs if that is what is in your area. I also can very much understand and agree with your not going to a trainer whose methods are contrary to your standards of treating your dogs. I travel almost three hours each way for a sheepdog lesson and, therefore, go much less often than I would like and than would be beneficial to both myself and my dogs.

Mary P - I wish you had caught the beginning of the topic before answering the poll as my interest was directed towards folks who do stockwork with dogs and not dog sports (except as periforal activities - I pressed the wrong button and the poll was posted too soon and was not finished). No harm done.

No worries. I didn't vote because I couldn't find a reason in your list for why I do AKC agility. So, your data has not been skewed. :rolleyes: