BC Boards

Chiltern Eve 1991-2008

Ever wish you had another chance with a beloved dog?

I think I wasted Eve's life, because I got her when I least understood dogs, then I had another two fine young dogs to live with and train, to learn about sheep and herding. Eve was given to me as a started dog that had given her former handler more than one tough run, and she proved to be not worth his losing his sanity over, but endearing enough to warrant passing on to someone like me, who gives every dog a home for life.

I wish, Eve, that we could start again, and find a way to get you to find more fun working with me than doing things your way (hint: maybe she did know best and we never saw it), you, and your beautiful natural outrun and your keen eye, your willingness to stand up to a tough one. So what if you knew how 200 yards was too far for anybody to do anything about how fast you like to lift those babies, so what if you knew how to get to the spot on the floor Tom left you from off the bed when he got that key in the door, so what if you knew you could "woooo" your way into our hearts when we spoke sternly to you. You were the one I wish I could do again, even maybe over Luke, your best boy, because he got all the attention maybe you could have enjoyed a bit, even though you seemed content to stay home and keep things straight there when we hit the road. Then again, you did get to join the pack and travel with me once it got easier to take you than to leave you behind.

Eve was a first anniversary gift from Karen to Tom, and she was always special to them both, and even now, I get the "how's Eve" from them both, and I've said she's fine, and she was. I really, truly enjoyed caring for her and having her, even when she was such an old lady, and she lived to be 17 years and four months old, and I had her from 1995 til now. Today I let her go, and it was a gift to her, because I would gladly have taken care of her anohter thirteen years if I could have and it was what she wanted. She never, ever missed a meal, not even today, and she was always warm in winter and cool in summer, had sheep all her life, and enjoyed being "bad" as much she enjoyed being good. She was a hoot, and I'm going to miss her forever.

So many posts in this section in so few days; this is incredibly sad. I hope this provides some solace:

My precious girl passed away, no more to breathe a sound.

I held her for the last time, then entombed her in the ground.

Day and night I wept so much, in tears I thought I'd drown.

I searched my soul for comfort, but no peace therein was found.

In great despair, I hit my knees and then began to pray.

"Father, will I ever see my dog again someday?"

I raised my eyes and saw an angel standing near a gate.

I sensed an inner peace I'd never felt before that day.

The angel smiled and said to me, "Oh ye of little faith!

God sees every bird that falls; He knows your puppy's fate.

I have met your little dog, I saw her pass my way.

Your precious dog is still alive; she just walked through this gate.

Paradise is lovelier than you can comprehend.

No pain or grief, no tears or fears, and life will have no end.

God gave to man His only Son, to cover all his sins.

So why would God withhold from you, your pure and loving friend?”

The angel took me by the hand and said, "Now come with me.

A glimpse of paradise I'll give, to you so you can see."

Through the gate and o'er the Rainbow Bridge we did proceed.

Through green valleys filled with flowers, rolling hills and trees.

“Wow, so this is paradise!” The place was filled with joy.

I saw my puppy playing there, with dogs and cats and toys.

She also had some doggie treats, and food that she enjoyed.

She'd made a lot of new friends there, including girls and boys.

Then I saw a child come near, and hug my little mate.

She said to her, "I love you so," and kissed her on the face.

The angel said, "The child just crossed the Rainbow Bridge today.

Now she needs a little friend, to love and help her play.

God’s love for her would be enough, in that make no mistake.

But in His love, He knew full well, the child would want a mate.

This is why God called your dog unto this splendid place.

God’s entrusted her with your baby, ‘til you pass through the gate."

I pleaded, “May I hug them both?!” The angel answered, “No!

You’d violate a sacred site, and now it’s time to go.”

He led me back across the Bridge and through the gate to home.

He left me there with new-found hope and peace within my soul.

If someone ever asks what happens to a dog that dies,

Just give a gentle smile of joy and look them in the eye.

Take their hand and comfort them and tell them not to cry.

For dogs don’t die, they simply cross a bridge to paradise.

Eve loves you and is waiting for you; but in the meantime, she has important work to do. Via con Dios, little girl.

Thanks, Sue, you knew Eve, the old dog. And the old me, which is funny, 'cause I lament having had her early in my life with Border Collies (she was #3), yet I probably would do her no better now than then! Oh well, I loved the heck out of her, and she knew it. I'm TRYING to leave work now but I realize I was stoic about holding her for the injection, putting her in the body bag awaiting the cremation people next Wednesday and getting back to work, but I don't want to leave and face the house without her, ears pricked, waiting for the can opener to go off. Tim says Possum Bob (her baby cat, now three-she let him suckle all over her when he was an orphan kitten) has gone nuts, looking for her. He slept with her every day (Possum, not Tim).

I gotta go home sooner or later, she really is in a better place. I know that. I appreciate your kind words, you're a special one yourself.

I am so sorry to hear about Eve. She still lives...in your heart and in the love you have for her.

You will see glimpses of her from the corner of your eye.....late at night and you will say it's my imagination or you're tired....but it is her, telling you that she is still there....just believe it

Once during one of my bad nights after the surgery, I was tossing and turning and felt a cold nose on my arm. I felt comforted and reached out to pet Tess. There was no Tess and I woke up to see what was going on. Tess was on the other side of the room, fast sleep. Was it a dream.....the wet spot on my arm told me NO. It was Shiro, the way she would nudge me at night. (Shiro had been gone for about 6 weeks at this point)

Diane

Oh Debbie, I'm so sorry to hear of Eve's passing. You now have another really big hole in your heart, right there next to Luke's and all the other critters you've loved and lost. Even when they've lived a long and happy life, it's tough to let them go. You may have regrets about your life with Eve, but you can be sure she has no regrets about her life with you and that she'll always be there in your heart as well as waiting for you on the other side. Hugs to you, and bless you.

Love, Julie

Oh, Debbie,

Please accept my heartfelt sympathy for your loss of Eve. She was indeed a lucky girl for having been with you for so many years, and her living to the ripe old age of seventeen is a tribute to your wonderful care. Treasure the memories you have of her, and they will keep her in your heart forever.

Regards,

nancy

My sincere condolences on your loss. Eve must have had a wonderful life with you - a dog that lives to 17 years doesn't do that without a lot of love and attention. She will always be in your heart.

My deepest sympathies on your loss. It's always so hard to lose them. When they're young, it's that they didn't live a full life; when they're middle-aged, it's that they didn't get to enjoy their golden years; when they're old, it's just hard to lose a friend. There's no doubt she'll be waiting for you when it's your time.