BC Boards

Abby my friend

Rob E

Hi all. My first post here. I've been looking for a place to write something about my best friend where there was a chance someone would know what I was talking about. Last week I lost the best friend I've ever had, Abby. She was with me constantly except while I was working, and sometimes she even got to go to work with me

Abby was truly a once in a lifetime dog. I've had dog friends my entire life, but we had a connection that I've never experienced before and doubt I will again. She adored me and I adored her. We were inseparable. I could take her anywhere off lead and never have to give a second thought to her wandering from my side even in spite of the fact that she loved people and was an attention hog.

She was the only thing that got me through an incredibly rough time in my life.. I could always count on her to brighten my day

She only had the chance to get close up to sheep one time in a controlled situation but you could tell the instinct was strong in her. Her surrogate sheep were my daughter and a JRT for most of her life. In her younger years her job was being an outstanding obed and agility dog. She lived for it. In later years after an injury, she slowed down to camping, hiking, and swimming. Swimming became her obsession, pool, river, lake, it didn't matter to her. She even had the chance to go white water rafting.

The last thing I had to give to her was to not suffer from a tumor that had formed in her chest. We had an enjoyable last day of hiking and watching the water and posing for pictures..... here is a pic of my girls... Abby is the one in front.... Thanks for listening.... Robabbmaggsm.jpg

Thank you, Rob, for sharing your Abby's story. She certainly does sound like a wonderful companion, and in her photo she looks wise and kind. I am so sorry for your loss, and I hope that your memories of years and adventures together are able to give you comfort.

So very sorry to hear about Abby. Yes, we do understand. I hope the following will be of some comfort to you.

We are thinking now of a setter, whose coat was flame in the sunshine, and who, so far as we are aware, never entertained a mean or an unworthy thought. This setter is buried beneath a cherry tree, under four feet of garden loam, and at its proper season the cherry strews petals on the green lawn of his grave. Beneath a cherry tree, or an apple, or any flowering shrub is an excellent place to bury a good dog. Beneath such trees, such shrubs, he slept in the drowsy summer, or gnawed at a flavorous bone, or lifted his head to challenge some intruder. These are good places in life or in death. Yet it is a small matter, and it touches sentiment more than anything else. For if the dog be well remembered, if sometimes he leaps through your dreams actual as in life, eyes kindling, questing, asking, laughing, begging, it matters not at all where that dog sleeps at long and at last. On a hill where the wind is unrebuked, and the trees are roaring, or beside a stream he knew in puppyhood, or somewhere in the flatness of a pasture lane where most exhilarating cattle graze, it is all one to the dog, and all one to you, and nothing is gained, nothing is lost, if memory lives. But there is one best place to bury a dog. One place that is best of all.

If you bury him in this spot, the secret of which you must already have, he will come to you when you call - come to you over the grim, dim frontiers of death and down the well remembered path and to your side again. And though you call a dozen living dogs to heel they shall not growl at him, or resent his coming, for he is yours and belongs there. People may scoff at you, who see no lightest blade of grass bent by his footfall, who hear no whimper pitched too fine for mere audition, people who may never really have had a dog. Smile at them, for you shall know something that is hidden from them, and which is well worth the knowing. The one best place to bury a good dog is the heart of his master.

So very sorry to hear about Abby. Yes, we do understand. I hope the following will be of some comfort to you.

We are thinking now of a setter, whose coat was flame in the sunshine, and who, so far as we are aware, never entertained a mean or an unworthy thought. This setter is buried beneath a cherry tree, under four feet of garden loam, and at its proper season the cherry strews petals on the green lawn of his grave. Beneath a cherry tree, or an apple, or any flowering shrub is an excellent place to bury a good dog. Beneath such trees, such shrubs, he slept in the drowsy summer, or gnawed at a flavorous bone, or lifted his head to challenge some intruder. These are good places in life or in death. Yet it is a small matter, and it touches sentiment more than anything else. For if the dog be well remembered, if sometimes he leaps through your dreams actual as in life, eyes kindling, questing, asking, laughing, begging, it matters not at all where that dog sleeps at long and at last. On a hill where the wind is unrebuked, and the trees are roaring, or beside a stream he knew in puppyhood, or somewhere in the flatness of a pasture lane where most exhilarating cattle graze, it is all one to the dog, and all one to you, and nothing is gained, nothing is lost, if memory lives. But there is one best place to bury a dog. One place that is best of all.

If you bury him in this spot, the secret of which you must already have, he will come to you when you call - come to you over the grim, dim frontiers of death and down the well remembered path and to your side again. And though you call a dozen living dogs to heel they shall not growl at him, or resent his coming, for he is yours and belongs there. People may scoff at you, who see no lightest blade of grass bent by his footfall, who hear no whimper pitched too fine for mere audition, people who may never really have had a dog. Smile at them, for you shall know something that is hidden from them, and which is well worth the knowing. The one best place to bury a good dog is the heart of his master.

That was beautiful. I've never read this one before. Did you write it? So very true...

I am always saddened when a new post appears in this section of the forum. I will share with you the poem I posted when I lost my Missy (the big BC mix in the Avatar picture), as we seem to have felt the same way about our little girls.

So this is where we part, my friend,

And you'll run on, around the bend,

Gone from sight, but not from mind,

New pleasures there you'll surely find.

I will go on. I'll find the strength.

Life measures quality, not its length.

One long embrace before you leave,

Share one last look, before I grieve.

There were others, that much is true,

But they be they, and they aren't you.

And I, fair, impartial, or so I thought,

Will remember well all you've taught.

Your place I'll hold, you will be missed,

The fur I stroked, the nose I kissed.

And as you journey to your final rest,

Take this with you....I loved you best.

Here I go...crying again for my Missy...I'll close with a beautiful eulogy originally posted by Baby's Dad for his beloved Zeke.

Go in peace, my valiant friend. Suffer no more; sweet sleep has come. Be welcomed by our friends; they have blazed a path for you to follow. Wait patiently, for I will join you again, your keen vision restored to lead our way, your strength renewed, for we shall journey on together forever. I learned from your courage in the waning of your days. You fought bravely through the pain, a whimper never passed, always by my side as I was by yours. Your battle is over, my grieving begins. Your place in my soul will always remain filled. So rest now in peace, my gallant companion, knowing how much I loved you and will miss you at my side.

You all are so kind.. You have brought tears to my eyes multiple times (good tears)... Abby was so wise and gentle as her eyes indicate.. I still have my Maggie which has made this more bearable but she is mourning the loss of her sheep too.. Neither one are or were working dogs in the sense that this board caters to but they have led full lives and I hope they received as much enjoyment from me as I have from them. I will have another BC as I am convinced there is no other choice for me.. I will give myself some time, possibly a year so I don't place too much responsibility on a new puppy.. Thanks again for helping me give Abby her due.... Rob

Food for thopught as you consider bringing another member into your family; perhaps your next loved one could come from rescue:

Sorrow fills a barren space;

you close your eyes and see my face

and think of times I made you laugh,

the love we shared, the bond we had,

the special way I needed you -

the friendship shared by just we two.

The day's too quiet, the world seems older,

the wind blows now a little colder.

You gaze into the empty air

and look for me, but I'm not there -

I'm in heaven and I watch you,

and I see the world around you too.

I see little souls wearing fur,

souls who bark and souls who purr,

born unwanted and unloved -

I see all this and more above -

I watch them suffer, I see them cry,

I see them lost, I watch them die.

I see unwanted thousands born -

and when they die, nobody mourns.

These little souls wearing fur

(some who bark and some who purr)

are castaways who - unlike me -

will never know love or security.

A few short months they starve and roam,

or caged in shelters - nobody takes home.

They're special too (furballs of pleasure),

filled with love, and each one a treasure.

My pain and suffering came to an end,

so don't cry for me, my person, my friend.

But think of the living - those souls with fur

(some who bark and some who purr) -

And though our bond can't be broken apart,

make room for another in your home and your heart.

Caro Schubert-James

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. It's been almost a year since I first posted here, and for the same reason. The folks here truly understand the depth of your loss and your love. Godspeed to your Abby; she was a lovely girl, and she'll be waiting for you. And welcome to you.

As Bustopher said, perhaps your next loved one can come from rescue. It was here I found my Belle. She doesn't replace Girlfriend -- no friend is ever replaced, but she has certainly helps fill a hole in our hearts.