BC Boards

How far would you go?

I think we understand your motives are good... but the point of the matter is that only service dogs are allowed in the cabin, and Rune is not, in fact, a service dog.

I wouldn't do it. I personally hate misleading people or appearing to be what I'm not, worst of all lying. Ethically, it's just not something I'd do - as much as I wish I could take Zoe with me on planes.

You've said you could pass her off as a service dog to take her with you in the cabin, or drive. But could you not also fly and put her in cargo? It's not ideal, sure, none of us like to do it. But I know many people here fly with their dogs, to trials and such. I will be flying with Zoe hopefully next year, I figure the trauma of flying will be better than me leaving her for weeks.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How many make-believe service animals fly?

These days people rely on a veritable Noah's Ark of support animals. Tami McLallen, a spokeswoman for American Airlines, said that although dogs are the most common service animals taken onto planes, the airline has had to accommodate monkeys, miniature horses, cats and even an emotional support duck. "Its owner dressed it up in clothes," she recalled.

Dr. Fudin said that emotional reliance on an animal can be taken too far. "If a person can't entertain the idea of going out without an animal, that would suggest an extreme anxiety level," she said, "and he or she should probably be on medication, in psychotherapy or both."
One 30-year-old woman, a resident of Croton-on-Hudson, N.Y., said she does not see a psychotherapist but suffers from anxiety and abandonment issues and learned about emotional-needs dogs from a television show. She ordered a dog vest over the Internet with the words "service dog in training" for one of the several dogs she lives with, even though none are trained as service animals. "Having my dogs with me makes me feel less hostile," said the woman, who refused to give her name.

"I can fine people or have them put in jail if they don't let me in a restaurant with my dogs, because they are violating my rights," she insisted.

215.gif215.gif215.gif

Forget restaurants and airlines---if I ever tried to run this kind of dishonest, self-indulgent nonsense past my friends and family, they'd give me an emotional-needs slap upside the head Yeahright2.gif

I'm against it for ethical reasons. I think that the reason the exemption for in-cabin travel of service animals exists is for dogs who are legitimately required to assist the owner. No one thinks you'd be doing it to cause trouble or create a problem - but that really isn't the point, IMO. That's like saying it's okay to use a handicapped spot since you have to pee really really bad and that is handicapping you in your abillity to get inside to a bathroom. You are not legitimately handicapped, merely inconvenienced. That doesn't justify you usurping an exemption (parking space) put into place to accomodate those who really ARE handicapped - even if no one is there using the space at the moment, you are not entitled to it. It is reserved for those who DO need it, and you do not - a fact for which you should be deeply grateful.

You cannot from this point in time predict the negative effects of this action. Why would you chance harming others at some point in the future, merely for the sake of avoiding some inconvenience and expense? And why would you consider doing something that is dulpicitous and/or dishonest in the first place? That troubles me. I'd like to think that the members of this board would be above that.

Are you not bothered by the thought that this is an attempt to circumvent the rules? Maybe I'm too picky or being stuffy or something; but to me it is of a similar ilk to a classmate of mine who once said he'd only cheat on his wife if he was sure he woudn't get caught. Those are not ethics. If you do the right thing when no one is watching, THAT is having ethics. I've been offered the chance to cheat a time or two, with the (supposed) "enticement" of being told "Your boyfriend would never know". The answer is always the same: I would know. That is enough to stop me. Always. I never have to weigh any other decision, because it never gets any further than I will not do this because it is against my ethics.

If the thought of behaving ethically is not enough, a cautionary tale: you never know how things will come back around. A woman I know once took a dearly beloved old friend of hers to the airport. He was going through an extremely difficult time and on the trip to the airport he confessed he was in love with her and wanted more than anything in life to just be with her. You might think it would be a small thing to send him off with a kiss, a small comfort in his hour of need, harming no one; but she would not do it because she was married and it would violate her vows. She sent him away with a hug and a pat on the arm and her platonic love. As it turns out, her husband (on another errand) happened to be in the airport and saw them take their leave. Had she violated her ethics, it might have destroyed their marriage (and certainly would have damaged the trust between them, a thing of inestimable value.) She had no reason to suspect her husband would see her part from her friend - but she did the right thing because she had an internal moral structure and the strength to do what was right, even though it pained her not to give her dear friend what comfort she might.

It's like my Dad says: In any moral dilemma, the thing you want least to do is the thing you MUST do. A moral dilemma exists because your desires are in opposition to what you know in your heart is right. Hence the thing you want MOST to do is the thing you know is not right to do. Thus you must do the opposite, and go with the inconvenient but morally and ethically correct course. I think you know it's not right to bend the rules and are looking for justification to bend them anyway, or else you would not be posting this question here. It's up to you if you have the strength of character to do what's right - or if you decide to do what's expedient.

JMO, of course.

Sincere Artisan, I am suprised by your response to everyones posts. I don't think you clarified anything - except that you're not listening. Sorry to sound harsh. In my previous post I was trying to be understanding - I had thought of using Dylan's status as an SAR dog in training. BUT, it was a brief moment of fantasy.I would never do it. I would be interested to see what you decide. I don't see how anyone, having read all of the above, could go ahead with what you are proposing.

Our doctor is a real good friend of the family, and my mom even pointed out that I could probably just ask him to do me such a favor, and he would.
My father is a respected, retired physician and I can't imagine, in my wildest dreams, any of his friends EVER asking him to be a party to such silliness!

Please forgive my forwardness, but it seems that this whole issue boils down to money. You would like to be able to have your dog next to you, and not have to be cargo - that is a convenience. The ultimate reason you wish to fly is because it is faster and FREE. You are not doing this because you have no other choice. I can't see how doing what you suggest would be anything but unethical.

I do not intend to masquerade her as something she is not (service-dog wise)....
If you are willing to get a note from a doctor, and say she is a service dog to get her on the plane you are masquerading her as a service dog. You would be fraudlently taking her on the plane under the Americans w/ Disabilities Act. And if you get a working dog vest, I can guarentee you that folks will ask you what she does. So what would you tell them?

I guess I'm a little confused why you think that we would tell you there was nothing wrong with doing that.

Life with pets can require sacrifices. If it is important to you that Rune not fly as cargo, DRIVE. If you choose to fly, with a 45 min flight, she would probably be away from you for 2 hours max. Maybe far less than that if you fly in and out of smaller airports.

Actually all of this shouldn't be an issue at all. A lot of airlines allow pets (dogs/cats) in the cabin. (I used to be a flight attendent) They needn't be service animals. You can bring them on as carry on luggage. Most airlines just have a max. on number of animals in the cabin. This is just the regs. for AA, you can look up other carriers to see what they allow.

flying with pets.

What you are wishing to do is not only unethical and illegal(I won't belabor that issue, as it has so ably been dealt with), it also poses a health hazard to many people. Thousands of people with allergies to animal hair and dander, and people with respiratory problems fly daily. Their health should not be compromised because a few people are willing to selfishly bend the rules to suit their frivolous whims. Yes, service dogs fly with their person, but one dog on a flight most likely won't aggravate allergic or respiratory responses if they can be separated a distance away.

As a thoughtful, caring pet owner, you have an obligation to your fellow humans, whether it be in a plane, a restaurant, a grocery store, etc. Your rights stop where mine begin.

You appear to be resistant to the comments of others on this board and seem to be trying valiantly to justify your proposed behavior. You stated that you will be flying frequently for the next month. Will this be from home? I don't know what you mean by "frequently", but I assume that means more than once a week. Surely, you and Rune can be separated for a few days without suffering major repercussions. I know you don't want to be separated; I feel the same without my pups; but there are times when our own desires must give way to the rules and regulations of life and our obligations to others. I think you are proposing a totally selfish act. 'Nuf said.

Melly

I doubt that a border collie can be squashed into a "cabin pet carriers that is 23" long x 13" wide x 9" high". That article clearly states that the pet must fit into a carry on bag that is kept under the seat in front of you and says nothing about allowing just any dog in the cabin.

Olivia

Sarah,

The others have explained what they feel is wrong morally/ ethically with the idea of claiming a dog is a service dog in order to keep her with you while you travel and in order for you to save some money. I agree, 100%, with all that those very articulate folks have said.

You've stated that you don't see how taking Rune, a young dog who is actually pretty new to you, on the plane while she is wearing a service dog vest that she hasn't earned. You don't see how that would harm the real service dogs and their work. Here's just a couple scenarios:

You've never flown with Rune. Maybe she doesn't do well in planes, with the noise and the vibration and all the strange people and smells. Maybe she whines, howls, or barks in distress for the 45 minute flight. Maybe she urinates or defecates from the stress. You've just subjected all the people on that planeto a 'service dog' who is falling apart. You've given them an experience they won't forget. The next time those few dozen people see a service dog, instead of thinking that this is a wonderful thing, they'll be remembering what they were subjected on that plane ride.

Rune could even, if she was distressed enough, bite someone. Do you want to take that chance? The 3 service dog training centers close to me wash out lots of dogs that start out in their programs. It's not enough to be a nice friendly smart dog, they have to be bomb proof to make it as a service dog, the risk is too great. Do you want to take that chance with your young, precious girl?

You could also, as someone else pointed out, be taking space that a disabled person needs for their dog.

It's a bad idea ethically. It's a bad idea practically. There are other options.

Ruth n the BC3

I think AK Dog Doc hit the nail on the head. And I think the fact that Sincere Artisan is asking the question, "How far would you go?" indicates that he/she is in a moral quandry about this. As AK Dog Doc points out, if you find yourself questioning whether something you'd like to do is okay or not, it's probably not okay.

And that's surely the case in this situation. Sincere Artisan is seeking absolution -- justification for a course of action that on some level he or she knows is really not right.

Putting a service dog vest on a dog is like putting blue lights on a car. It's a symbol that tells others that they should pay special care, and that this animal or car has a legitimate need to be someplace where it would not otherwise be allowed. There are lots of times I would have loved to have cop lights on my car so that I could get through a traffic jam. But I'm not a cop, and your dog is not a service dog.

If you can't leave the dog at home, drive, or fly it cargo (not likely to be an option this time of year, depending on where you're flying from, to, and through).

Can anyone tell me who decides what a service dog is. who regulates what a service dog is . who has the authority to name adog a SERVICE DOG "

I would not unless who ever decales my dog a service dog dose so. would not say my dog was one . But in the world of bad stuff this rate low on my list . I have friends that have more dogs than the town allows they just do not licence them .to me this is worse than flying on a jet

How about people that have kids and decide to smooke instead of providing health insurance for them. No contest !

So I say if your dog is not disrupting and is well behaved go for it . OR dont

JMO here are so many things that out way this . subject .

Of corse we all follow the rules

I am a traumer nurse that would rathe see you fly than get hit by a DUI driver that has been arested 100 times for DUI. But has been rehabilitaed 99 times

So we may only live once so you make the decission where does flying land on your list of bad stuff !!

bobh

Something else no one has mentioned is that you say you will be traveling a lot for a month or so. That's really not a terribly long time. And if you're saving time by flying then you'll be home more often in between and gain that time to spend with her. Why not leave Rune at home? Yes, you'll miss her, but I expect she'd be happpier not having to jet set around (a 45 minute flight means a puddle jumper, doesn't it, and if so, that means little room in the cabin and a noisy flight--do you really want that for Rune?). FWIW I agree with the folks who say it's unethical to manipulate the system to try and get your dog on the flight. If there is a "legal" way to do so, as Little Bo Boop suggests, then by all means go for it. But don't compromise your ethics just for selfish reasons. I have to travel for work and I HATE leaving my critters behind, but it's a fact of life....

J.

bobh

I think you are begging the question here. In a world of tremendous and multiple wrongs, is it OK to add deliberately another wrong, no matter how small? Myriads of people cheat on taxes, lie, steal, get around rules they don't like, but does that make it right?

Melly

Bobh, Here you will find the definition of a Service Dog. They are given legal access rights under the ADA, so they cannot be excluded from public places when accompanying a person with disabilities. But a person cannot be asked as to the nature of their disability, only if a dog is a service dog or not. So that gives opportunity to abuse the law.

Maralynn , Thanks for the link!

Melly, I agree that if Sarah does this it does not make it right>And at this moment in my life i would not do this, but i can not say i would never do it.

Every day we all make decissions to follow rules or not . I can not tell Sarah not to do this Because in MO its not a major issue

Mark I am not sure but I think that a airline can not refuse to fly a Service dog.

They would be setting themselfs up for a law suit.

bobh

I hope we are all reporting when we trade services for services ,

bobh

Travelling with Guide Dogs

Provided notification is given in advance, certified guide dogs will be carried free of charge in the cabin on domestic UK flights. The following restrictions apply:

? There is a limit to one dog per aircraft

British Airways

I believe they are allowed to set limits on how many dogs. They are not refusing to accept; they can say a particular flight is full.

Mark

1. I think taking your dog on the plane with you "disguised" as a service dog (especially with a doctor note) is the same as faking an injury (I handle workers compensation claims), or getting a disabled parking pass so you can park next to the door (while an actual disabled person has to park down the street).

2. Yes, your dog and mine are beautiful, wonderful, well-trained, well-behaved sweet---but what of the rest of the public? What if Kid Bowzer wanted to take his attack-trained pit bull onboard? Why do you get to go and he does not.

3. I'm a dog lover and frequent airline passenger. Two things: there are lots of flights where I'm hot, tired, maybe mad over a tough day; the hassle just getting to the airport, turning in the rental car, getting through security---it makes me miserable (and most others too) to have a screaming baby next to me. What of dogs? How do you know your dog (or mine) would behave on the plane?

4. I hate (hate) security. I hate going through it. Why on earth would I put my dogs through it?

All in all, I drive whenever possible. When I drive, I stay at La Quinta and the girls get to go. When I fly, they stay here and the teenager next door feeds, walks, and plays with them.

Finally, I am a firm believer in "what goes around comes around." Put out bad kharma and it comes back to you. If you do something like that, chances are you might need that assistance animal in the future.

Not meaning to jump on you at all! But you asked for opinions...