BC Boards

How far would you go?

I'm going to be hopping around states here soon. Of course, I would *prefer* to fly, as I do fly free thanks to my mom being a flight attendant and all.

I proposed the conflict of being able to bring my Rune with me. What to do? I asked mom about being able to take her on the plane...she said that if I want her up in the cabin with me, the only way to do that is if I have a note from a doctor stating that I need my dog with me for emotional support, because I can't "handle" flying otherwise. Technically, all I'd need to do, is go to my doctor and express my anxiety towards flying without my dog by my side, and explain that all they'd have to do is write me a note to be able to take her with me.

I kind of giggled at the thought at first...but then, with all the traveling I plan on doing, it dawned on me that YES, flying would be much easier than driving. But what do you all think? Is that going a bit far to have my dog conveniently travel at my side instead of having to stuff her beneath the plane? I mean, on top of that I thought of getting her one of those 'working dog' vests to complete the scenario...But I've seriously been considering the probability of having her tag along.

So, is that taking a step too far? I guess my main concern--outside of how well my dog handles the whole flying thing--is stepping on toes, here, by tweaking the circumstances. Whatcha think?

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do it! I absolutely refuse to fly with Kessie (though I used to love flying :rolleyes: ), but if I had to, I actually WOULD be a nervous wreck, not knowing where she is and how she's doing, who's in charge of her etc, so it wouldn't even be that much of a lie...

The more people abuse programs that allow service dogs to fly with those who really need them, the less respect true service dogs will receive. If you have a legitimate issue -- deafness, siezures, etc. -- and your dog is in fact a service dog, then by all means, take it. If not, don't bend the rules.

Personally, I don't think I could pretend Dylan was a service dog or SAR dog when he wasn't. If I could drive, even if it took the extra time, I would go that route. Sounds like you have qualms about bending the rules, so maybe you shouldn't. I have thought about it. For me to go home to England it means an 11 hour flight direct which I never take because it is too expensive.And I would hate to put Dylan through that even if I could afford it. I am very sad about it but I have kind of resigned myself to the fact that I may never be able to take Dylan with me unless it was for a significant amount of time. I think it is great that you are taking Rune around with you. And I loved your pictures BTW !

The more people abuse programs that allow service dogs to fly with those who really need them, the less respect true service dogs will receive. If you have a legitimate issue -- deafness, siezures, etc. -- and your dog is in fact a service dog, then by all means, take it. If not, don't bend the rules.
Amen!

Wait! She just said that if a note from her doc saying she was nervous without her dog there he could give her a note so he could ride with her. Then she said something about getting a service dog vest, for extra. But if she got a note, and didn't put a serviece vest on the dog, then I say it is legit. Well, if she is nervous.

I agree with Bill, etc. There are 3 service dog training centers within 60 or so miles of where I live. Those trainers, dogs, and the folks that the dogs end up assissting have their whole lives changed for the better because of the dog.

Saying a dog is a service dog when they're not jeopardizes all that. As the others have said, it's not ethical, and it puts the potential out there for making trained and invaluable dogs unable to go into shops, restauraunts, and other public buildings that are not accessible to pet dogs.

Don't do it. If you do have anxiety over flying, and really need your dog by your side, get her trained in service animal behavior.

Ruth n the BC3

For what its worth IMHO, YMMV

I'm find that duping a doctor, the airline staff and the company is rather unethical. I work for a major corporation that has had severe problems with ethics in the past few years and the reactive training we've received has alerted me to the more subtle ways that bad ethcial decisions leach into our character. Over a period of time, the exceptions become unspoken rules and often lead to poor decision making in the clinch where it matters.

What Bill said.

I have little to no respect for people who bend the rules to suit themselves at the expense of other people in this manner.

I can understand the motivation, but it's selfish and misguided.

If I were you I'd drive.

Agreed! I love dogs; but as a former frequent flyer, I saw too many people who tried to circumvent the rules, and who as a result diminished the credibility of the "service dog" classification.

Its my feeling that if your dog is well behaved go for it .Than i think if any dog is allowed than all dogs should be allowed as long as they are behaved and do not cause problems. As long as your dog causes no problems , I as a passanger do not care. I do not understand how a well behaved dog would decrease someones respect for a service dog ??

By the way who Decides if a dog is a

"REAL SERVICE DOG"

I hope its not the goverment!!

bobh

I think the issue is not so much whether Sarah's Rune is well-behaved (and I have no doubt she is) but whether or not it's "okay" to be deceptive in order to do something you'd like to do but which isn't a necessity, as defined by regulation or convention.

Since Sarah *can* travel with Rune (by car) but would prefer to fly (since it's free and more convenient), it's not really a matter of *needing* Rune in the cabin but rather *wanting* her there (which we all would agree is what we'd like to be able to do if traveling with our dogs).

I guess I'm surprised that a number of folks seem to be okay about getting an essentially fraudulent medical form and/or masquerading a dog as a service dog when he/she isn't one. It cheapens the hard-earned title (and job) of "service dog" if someone just pretends that their dog is one.

A service dog is not simply trained to be "well-behaved" - there is a lot more that goes into becoming a service dog and earning the right to accompany and assist its handler in virtually all situations.

In addition, "allowances" that apply to service dogs do not apply to therapy dogs - they do not have the "right" to go virtually everywhere with their handler. That is clearly stated in the handbooks for the different therapy dog organizations.

I agree w/ the majority of opinions that it's not ok to bend the rules in this instance.

I too have wished Maggie could fly with me many times and briefly considered cramming her into a carry on bag at one point.

I have thought about starting a movement that would basically 'certify' pet dogs in such a way that they could have similar access rights to service dogs, with the exception for in restaurants and medical establishments. Do you think there would be enough interest and support for something like this?

On my trip to Europe it was amazing to see how well integrated dogs were in society and consequently how few problems they caused.

I have thought of dressing Fergie and putting her in my granddaughter's stroller and paying for a ticket. We could even strap her carseat harness into the seat belt. Heck, I'd even buy those doggie diapers. I'll bet she'd be better behaved than most in baby clothes and strollers. She never kicks the seat in front.

Honestly, why could an airline not accept a paying passenger that won't soil the seats and will be secured in a seatbelt? OK, got to be sure the pup won't scarf down any food the airline is willing to give me if I'm in the next seat. But I've sat next to some people....

Maybe we should start a campaign. But I do mean that we have to be willing to pay for a seat. No free-bees for something bigger than my (granted, small) 4-year-old granddaughter who has flown in her carseat, as a paying customer, since she was under a year old.

I guess I'm surprised that a number of folks seem to be okay about getting an essentially fraudulent medical form and/or masquerading a dog as a service dog when he/she isn't one. It cheapens the hard-earned title (and job) of "service dog" if someone just pretends that their dog is one.
I was thinking the along the same lines. Service dogs are highly trained animals that perform tasks that their owner is unable to. These dogs have usually had about 2 years of training before they are placed. And in most cases their owners have lived with a disability for at least that long before obtaining a dog. I'd be bummed about having my dog ride in the cargo hold, also. But at the same time, I'd be grateful that I didn't have a disability that required the use of one.

I have thought about starting a movement that would basically 'certify' pet dogs in such a way that they could have similar access rights to service dogs, with the exception for in restaurants and medical establishments. Do you think there would be enough interest and support for something like this?
That's a tough one. I like the idea, but enforcement is difficult. How do you prove your dog has had training? What about liability concerns? Then you only need a few people to abuse it, and people will be reconsidering it.

As for airline travel, I imagine you could lobby an airline or two to consider allowing certified therapy dogs to ride in the cabin with the purchase of a ticket. It may also help if the dog is covered by personal liability insurance. Airlines are in a spot because you've got to draw the line somewhere. While it would be great if well behaved dogs could travel in the cabin, I know of several dogs I wouldn't want to fly with.

This has been discussed a lot among SAR people on some of the lists I belong. It is very interesting to see the other point of view. most of the posts on those lists discuss how we need to maintain professionalism and how a lot of people with non-service dog are abusing it.

We are only 'adviced' to take advantage of this only if the purpose is to either train or be 'utilized'. So I drive if I have a choice.

I think they can only allow to have a limited number of 'service' dogs on one flight so if there is a real service dog that needs to fly... you might be taking their spot.

The same, that is plain unethical and all we win is to make people indiferent in dogs in people who don't like dogs and loose the rights lot of people had achieved with years and years figthing for those rights.

I love dogs and have no problems eating on the same dishwith mine, but I respect people who don't like dogs in the same way I don't like smokers where I eat and expect the same respect. With all my love for animals I couldn't bear a long fly beside an old lady with a yappy dog in her lap. I know... we are talking of well behaved dogs, but who decide wich is a well behaved dog? For any owner, their is the best.

In my ideal world airplanes would have special cabins whit cages for pets with full access for owners at any time, you could buy a seat near to it or stay all the fly in there if you want (with exception of the moments when you have to wear the seat belt)

I do not fly so I do not realy know but I donot think the rights of the diabled will be taken away no matter how many dogs fly in the cabin. I will take your word that lots of people abuse the system can you tell me how many make belive services dogs fly .

Let me clarify...

When I mentioned getting her a vest, I simply meant that I wanted one of the 'working dog, please do not pet' vests...Just so she doesn't cause too much of a distraction with people wanting to coddle her, pet her, etc....so I can just have her on the plane, off the plane, voila, no stress and no questions asked.

My dog is awesome at staying right by my side, 'heeling' and sitting whenever I come to a standstill. From an outsider's point of view, were she wearing a vest that claimed she was a working dog, I strongly doubt anyone would question it. I do not intend to masquerade her as something she is not (service-dog wise)....But, as I said, I'm to be doing a *lot* of traveling the next month or so...the flight is a mere 45 minutes. The drive is 8 hours. The flight is free, and the price of gas these days...well, you see where I'm going with this.

Our doctor is a real good friend of the family, and my mom even pointed out that I could probably just ask him to do me such a favor, and he would.

I understand its bending the rules, but I'm not bending the rules so my dog can cause trouble on the plane, or create havoc in the airport...I'm only considering the 'working dog' vest so people are not bombarding me on all sides drilling me with "Ohh can I pet your cute doggy?"'s. Not that I don't think Rune could handle the attention (my god she's LOVE it) but I want to make my trips as quiet as possible, with little or no hassle on the good people allowing me on the plane and through the airport, and no room or reason for anyone to assume I'm just giving a bad name to service dogs out there. I love service dogs, and I admire the work they do for people. The last thing I want to do is give them a bad name. If I didn't thnk my dog had it in her to act well behaved and mind her manners properly, I wouldn't even be considering this.

Does this help clarify my motives a bit?