BC Boards

Crazy Dog

So the other day I went outside to find that Rex had a hole he had been working on in the flower bed. This thing was huge, Atleast 3-4 foot deep and 1 or 2 wide and at an angle...He had dug a few in the yard in earlier weeks.

Today, I found him digging a hole that led UNDER the driveway. This is the first time I have caught him digging any holes so I told him NO and put him in his kennel and couldnt do much else due to pouring rain.

He also has taken an interest in chewing wooden chairs on the porch.

Any advice?

- also, I'll admit I haven't had much playing time due to working a lot but even when I did he would do these things.

It sounds like Rex has too much time on his paws...

Dogs that are left alone in the yard WILL find SOMETHING to do - and it's usually not something you like.

My suggestion is to go outside WITH him or don't leave him out. Since he is still chewing on chairs, keep him in his crate when you cannot keep your eyes on him.

How old is Rex? What do you do for exercise and training together?

but he does have a companion to keep him company.

A border collie needs more than just another dog friend. They need time and attention from you. They were bred to be working companions for humans and if they are not getting that stimulation, they will find something else to work their mind--as you are seeing with the digging and chewing.

he enjoys playing with the cows.

:rolleyes: Uh, I'm no stock person but that sounds dangerous to me!

I'm not extremely strict like a lot of people, I dont mind letting him run around on his own - he is a dog and he has the right to do that. I'm not going to keep him locked up just because I cant play with him either.

I understand that may be the reason that he does what he does but I'm just trying to find ways maybe to fix it.

Just because he is a dog that does not give him the right to run around on his own. This is the way dogs get into trouble, get hurt, or get killed. It sounds like lack of attention is probably why he is misbehaving, but without solving the cause, you aren't going to solve the problem. At least, not unless you are willing to keep him confined where he can't get into trouble when you can't be watching and interacting with him.

But we are out in the middle of no where and he enjoys playing with the cows.

OK. I deleted all the other stuff I wanted to say, lucky we have that option eh, because it wasnt pretty. Im sure your dog enjoys playing with the cows, but how do you think the cattle feel about this? Do you not think that one day one of them will not tire of his antics and kick his head off?!

What you dog deserves, is an owner that will lock him in a safe place where no harm can come to him and he can do no harm.

I care about him just as much as any of you care about yours and would hate for anything bad to happen to him.

No, not really. I care enough about my dogs to make sure they are safe and don't take unnecessary risks. I'm not prepared to just "live with the consequences" in order to let my dogs run at large because "they want to live their life just as much as you " even "if that involves things we consider 'bad.'" My job is to make responsible choices FOR my dogs. I do this because I love them and want them to be alive at the end of each day. I believe that demonstrates a deeper love for my dogs than you for yours when your answer to not having time to spend with your dog is to just let him run around and expect him to entertain himself (but not dig in your yard).

I figured I would get the responses that I did so I was prepared not to let them bother me. Everyone has different opinions and I think that no animal should be forced to live in captive and let out only when you decide. They want to live their life just as much as you and if that involves things we consider 'bad' then If you are like me then you will just have to live with the consequences of it. The cows thing was mainly a joke btw, and even if he did decide to go in there and get killed by a cow that would be no different then the millions of idiots that live in this society who make dangerous decisions everyday that could kill them. I also realize that there is a huge difference between humans and dogs but thats just the way I feel about it. I care about him just as much as any of you care about yours and would hate for anything bad to happen to him.

Wow! I'm sorry, but a domesticated is simply not capable of "making responsible choices." Sure, in the wild they had to do this to survive, but in the wild, the dog would not be off "playing with the cows" because they would be too busy doing what they needed to do to survive. Today's domesticated dogs no longer need to do this and no longer know how to do this. Furthermore, there are dangers in our world, such as cars, that the dog would never have been exposed to in the wild. How is a dog supposed to know that they are a danger to him?

Yes, there are lots of dog-related topics that people have differing valid, opinions on. But this is not one of them. It's your responsibility to keep your dog safe, end of story.

I figured I would get the responses that I did so I was prepared not to let them bother me. Everyone has different opinions and I think that no animal should be forced to live in captive and let out only when you decide. They want to live their life just as much as you and if that involves things we consider 'bad' then If you are like me then you will just have to live with the consequences of it. The cows thing was mainly a joke btw, and even if he did decide to go in there and get killed by a cow that would be no different then the millions of idiots that live in this society who make dangerous decisions everyday that could kill them. I also realize that there is a huge difference between humans and dogs but thats just the way I feel about it. I care about him just as much as any of you care about yours and would hate for anything bad to happen to him.

You're kidding, right? :rolleyes:

Your poor pup is not playing with the cows, he's harassing them. In my area, and in many others, dogs caught harassing livestock or even game animals can be shot on sight.

He wouldn't necessarily be killed by that shot, he might crawl away and die after a while, alone and in a lot of pain. Or, he might crawl home to die in your yard or in your arms. Or, you might be able to take him to the vet and get him patched up and pay a bunch for the privilege of letting your dog 'be free to be shot.'

If he's identified as your dog, in many communities, you are legally responsible for the costs incurred if he harasses or in any way harms livestock.

You might have to live with losing him, and I think the chances of that are large, but the dog is the one whose life is on the line.

I don't think you've thought this through. Loving something means taking some responsibility for it. By letting your dog roam, you are abdicating responsibility. Would you let a three or four year old child play alone in an unfenced yard?

If there's no other family members or a roommate, no doggy day care, no dog walkers, no neighbors where he can go a couple days a week, can he come to work with you at all, even once in a while? If your 70 hr weeks are a temporary thing, then you can figure out a way to safely confine him and then spend some of your free time devoted to him - training, playing, hiking, whatever.

If your work schedule is going to continue like this, and there are no other options, please consider rehoming him.

Ruth n the BC3

No, Im afraid he isnt. I have tried to post to this several times, only to hit the delete button, some one else that is not so hot headed and is capable of being much more articulate than I is going to have to educate this.....person

The cows thing was mainly a joke btw, and even if he did decide to go in there and get killed by a cow that would be no different then the millions of idiots that live in this society who make dangerous decisions everyday that could kill them.

Or their pets. If he did decide to go in there and get killed by a cow? Wow....There isn't even an Emoticon that fits this.......

Ok, TREY, what kind of advice were you looking for specifically? It sounds like you have a young very bored and probably neglected dog who is left to his own devices. You obviously have no intentions of giving your dog more structure or taking any precautions to keep him safe. I guess that means you will continue to have a very bored dog who will dig and chew and possibly out of his own "free will" make a "bad choice" and deal with the consequences of suffering or death.

Does that about cover it? Because unless you are being a troll looking to get a rise out of people, I can't imagine what you want from the community of responsible, truly caring (as in they provide actual care) dog owners here.

I will have to agree with what others have had to say. Letting your dog run free, no matter where you live is incredibly irresponsible and does not show any love for your pet. I am also from an area where if any dog is found chasing/harassing livestock or wild game they are to be shot on site. No questions. End. Of. Story.

We "forced" these animals to be captive when we domesticated them, so it is our responsibilty as human beings to care for them and provide them with food and shelter. This includes keeping them safe from harm, wether it be a farmers bullet or a splinter from chewing your wooden charis.

The last time I checked border collies were bred to work with people, so I am going to assume letting a dog have free reign outside while you are at work all day is not going to be his favorite activity. He is digging and chewing because he's bored and by the sounds of things, no one has tried to re-direct the behaviour to an appropriate one, just given up and let him have what he wanted to chew on. Keeping your dog in a kennel may seem harsh and cruel, but when it can potentially save his life and you thousands of dollars it's not really that bad. Your dog does not only need excersize, but he also needs mental stimulation, these dogs were ment to think and work.

If working 70 hours a week is keeping you from properly training your dog and keeping it from harm, then perhaps it should be rehomed, but it's a poor excuse if you ask me. While I was raising my pup, I worked full time and did free lance on the side. Some days I would work 9 or 10 hours, come home and have to work another 4 or 5 hours. My schedule is still this way and my dog is currently 3.5 years old. She does not chew because I was proactive and she does not dig because I was proactive. She is alone in the house all day without getting into trouble because I took the time to house proof her. So it can be done. Even though I have a busy schedule with full time work, free lance, about 4-6 hours of volunteer work a week, we still manage to make it to a weekly class together AND she gets plenty of mental stimulation whenever I have a spare 10 minutes to work on something. It all about priorities I think.

haha - - you live your life and I will live mine. The cows are mine by the way, so I don't plan on shooting him anytime soon.

And the fact that I am out in the middle of nowhere as I mentioned, there are no roads anywhere near and he never roams out of close range.

Poor dog. Poor cows. You don't happen to have any children running around doing their own thing too do you? Well, so did you get the desired reaction? :rolleyes:

Let me make things simple for you.

1. Your dog wants to spend time with YOU and is trying to get your attention. He is not a doorstop. He's a border collie.

2. You are seeking a quick fix here and there isn't one besides committing time and energy everyday to your dog.

3. Your dog will continue to do what he's doing unless YOU change.

4. Your flippant and scarcastic attitude will get you no more patient and thoughtful suggestions but will garner lots of animosity.

5. Your situation and laissez-faire point of view is exactly the type that keeps rescuers in business.

Ailsa

I think we all need to just stop responding to this post. This person is getting a big kick out of it. Sounds like his/her animals aren't the only ones starved for attention. :rolleyes:

As far as the dog and the cows, soon enough he will get brave enough to get in with them. He will be kicked and/or trampled. Dogs that have been trained to excell at cattle herding will get kicked on occasion, and if this can happen to a very well trained dog, I can only imagine the train wreck that will happen with this young boy.

Some breeds of dogs do not require much human interaction. I have a little sheltie mix that is fine with a butt scratch now and then. This is the type of dog you need. The more intelligent a dog is, the more you need to be "doing" things WITH them. I know it is your dog, and yes you can do as you like with him. But if you truly love this dog, please rehome him where he can find a home with people who WILL do things with him. He is more lonely than you realize and soon will (in a few mos.) reach adulthood, and his behaviour will change even more. I don't know your reasons for wanting a border collie, or your knowledge of them. But I do know that right now, he is a train wreck waiting to happen.

He's not crazy, he is bored out of his mind. Unfortunately, one day, while no one is looking, he will become a dog that no one will want. He will start deciding for his self what he wants to be. It won't be pretty. Digging right now, gives him something to do with a purpose. It fulfills his need to do something. You can not stop that without giving him something else to do. Another outlet.

Please think of what's best for your dog. Not what's best for you.

Any advice?

You asked for advice and you have gotten some very good advice. If you want a well-behaved dog and an ALIVE one, you have to set up the rules and NOT let him run free. If that means leaving him in his kennel or crate while you are at work, he will at least be safe. When you come home, you can spend quality time with him, training him, even working him on the cattle and make that his "job" not his "toys". Although the company of another dog is great for Rex, it doesn't replace training and bonding with you, his Master.

I have never intentionally meant to put anyone down on these boards, no matter how livid I get. So, I will try to answer your questions that you asked. At over a year old, you dog should have curtailed his chewing. It sounds like he is doing this out of boredom. Does he have plenty of chew toys? Do you have a Kong filled with goodies? If so, he should be happy in his kennel. Dogs have no real concept of time.

As, I mentioned before, when you arrive home, spend time with Rex and try and bond more with him. Soon, he will figure out that YOU are in charge and you will have a better relationship. All you put into this dog you will get back 110%. If you leave him to his own resources, he will figure out things to keep himself busy that you won't enjoy example chewing and digging. Those are they types I see in foster.

Try and enjoy your dog.

Some breeds of dogs do not require much human interaction. I have a little sheltie mix that is fine with a butt scratch now and then. This is the type of dog you need.

That is the type, but Shelties as a rule are devoted to their people and would be just as bored and unhappy as Border Collies if they were to be left on their own all the time.