BC Boards

Trainer in SF Bay Area California

Indydog

Hello,

We are looking for a recommendation for a sheep dog trainer in the SF Bay Area. Our 8 yr. old has had about dozen lessons few years back. We want to get him back into it and we want to our 6 month old to start. Our last trainer was with the Sam Ramon sheep co-op. Thanks.

Jim

Hello,

We are looking for a recommendation for a sheep dog trainer in the SF Bay Area. Our 8 yr. old has had about dozen lessons few years back. We want to get him back into it and we want to our 6 month old to start. Our last trainer was with the Sam Ramon sheep co-op. Thanks.

Jim

I will give you three folks to help you out possibly. The first is the woman I take lessons from , Suzy Applegate. She also trained my dog . She gives a remarkedly good lesson and is very dedicated to the student progressing. Very dependable about making an app't and keeping it. She is located in Plymouth, near Sacramento. 1 1/2 hr drive for me from Livermore. The second is a friend of mine who at one time ran the coop you speak of in San Ramon. I do not know who you went to for lessons there but my friend's name is Patsy. I am not 100% certain yet, but I do believe she and a new group of folks will be at that San Ramon coop soon. I can find out. The 3rd person is Derek Fisher who is now set up to give lessons at Willowside ranch in Pescadero. It is a great little ranch and Pescadero is a pleasant place to spend some time.

If you want any contact numbers, let me know.

Carolyn

I will give you three folks to help you out possibly. The first is the woman I take lessons from , Suzy Applegate. She also trained my dog . She gives a remarkedly good lesson and is very dedicated to the student progressing. Very dependable about making an app't and keeping it. She is located in Plymouth, near Sacramento. 1 1/2 hr drive for me from Livermore. The second is a friend of mine who at one time ran the coop you speak of in San Ramon. I do not know who you went to for lessons there but my friend's name is Patsy. I am not 100% certain yet, but I do believe she and a new group of folks will be at that San Ramon coop soon. I can find out. The 3rd person is Derek Fisher who is now set up to give lessons at Willowside ranch in Pescadero. It is a great little ranch and Pescadero is a pleasant place to spend some time.

If you want any contact numbers, let me know.

Carolyn

Hi Carolyn,

Can I have Derek Fischer's contact info? I've heard of Patsy. Our instructor was Jan at the sheep co-op. We had some schedule conflicts with Jan and Patsy only taught on week days.

Jim

Hi Carolyn,

Can I have Derek Fischer's contact info? I've heard of Patsy. Our instructor was Jan at the sheep co-op. We had some schedule conflicts with Jan and Patsy only taught on week days.

Jim

Not Carolyn, but I do have Derek's contact info. It is email at dgunltd.1@gmail.com

I was working with Derek in So Cal before he moved North and intend to make periodic trips North to work with him. I think he gives a great lesson and my little girl made a lot of progress.

Not Carolyn, but I do have Derek's contact info. It is email at dgunltd.1@gmail.com

I was working with Derek in So Cal before he moved North and intend to make periodic trips North to work with him. I think he gives a great lesson and my little girl made a lot of progress.

Magram,

Thanks for jumping in with Derek's contact info. I haven't been on the computer much for a few days.

And Jim please tell him in addition to Mafram that a student of Suzy's recommended him to you as he and Suzy are good friends and I know she'd like to see him him get a solid start here in the SF Bay area. You will LOVE Willowside ranch!

Carolyn

No leads from me, but I'll be checking on this thread. I'm in Sacramento and would love to have the contact info for some the trainers mentioned. Jude and I probably won't be starting herd for another couple of months, but I'd like to know who to get in touch with when the time comes. Thanks.

No leads from me, but I'll be checking on this thread. I'm in Sacramento and would love to have the contact info for some the trainers mentioned. Jude and I probably won't be starting herd for another couple of months, but I'd like to know who to get in touch with when the time comes. Thanks.

You may want to start contacting instructors now...most have a significant wait list...and winter is setting in, so training may slow down some.

We have a lot of trainers around the Sacramento area.

BC Trainers...

Brian Cash (Cool, cashb1@gmail.com)

Suzy Applegate (Plymouth, http://www.hoofandpawfarms.com/contact.htm)

Bill Berhow (Zamora)

Northern California Working Sheepdog Assoc (may have list of trainers)

And, many more I don't know about

We are lucky in Sacramento...you have your choice of herding you can do (Open Field or Arena or Ranch Dog or all...) and several trainers to choose from.

Good Luck!

Jennifer Akins

Trowbridge, CA

Bill Berhow gives lessons in Pescadero, too. He is coming September 28th and you could contact me if you want a slot. Also, the Northern California Working Border Collie Association is having a fun/work day Sat. September 27, so that might be a great place to start!

Nancy Bovee

You may want to start contacting instructors now...most have a significant wait list...and winter is setting in, so training may slow down some.

We have a lot of trainers around the Sacramento area.

BC Trainers...

Brian Cash (Cool, cashb1@gmail.com)

Suzy Applegate (Plymouth, http://www.hoofandpawfarms.com/contact.htm)

Bill Berhow (Zamora)

Northern California Working Sheepdog Assoc (may have list of trainers)

And, many more I don't know about

We are lucky in Sacramento...you have your choice of herding you can do (Open Field or Arena or Ranch Dog or all...) and several trainers to choose from.

Good Luck!

Jennifer Akins

Trowbridge, CA

Bill Berhow gives lessons in Pescadero, too. He is coming September 28th and you could contact me if you want a slot. Also, the Northern California Working Border Collie Association is having a fun/work day Sat. September 27, so that might be a great place to start!

Nancy Bovee

Jim,

Yes the annual "meeting/workday " on 9/27 for Northern Ca Working Sheepdog assn would give you a chance to meet some club members . One of the organizers is Patsy, who is from Alamo ( and may be back into a new coop at Forest Home park soon). Introduce yourself to her and also Nicki Rhiel , the other organizer of this event. bring your dog, because by workday they mean work your dog, not paint fences!

If you want to go to Pescadero for lessons on a regular basis I would recommend that you try and work out your schedule to meet up with Derek Fisher there, as he should be about set up to give regular lessons there.

Good luck!

Carolyn

Nancy Bovee

very interested also! Could I go to hang out without having a started dog?

very interested also! Could I go to hang out without having a started dog?

Here is the link to the info on the NCWSA club workday:

http://www.norcalsheepdog.org/events/FunDayEntry08.pdf

I'm sure it would be fine for interested folks to show up and observe. You might get buttonholed into joining the club though! :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings. Just "dropped in" after finding this thread thru a Google search.

I live in Marin and am currently going up to Nevada once a month for a weekend at a time just to work with a patient, soft-spoken trainer (no yelling, no threatening... and a LOT of patience). Would very much like to find a closer place to work.

Can anyone speak to the training styles of Derek or Bill or Suzy? Pescadero is probably closer (and a nice place to visit!) but it's all about the trainer after what we've been thru (my rescue BC went thru a 6-month shutdown period).

Also - I saw someone say that Bill will be in Pescadero on the 28th? Is there a 2nd event there after the FunDay on Saturday?

Many thanks,

CJ & Mitch

I live in Marin and am currently going up to Nevada once a month for a weekend at a time just to work with a patient, soft-spoken trainer (no yelling, no threatening... and a LOT of patience). Would very much like to find a closer place to work.

Can anyone speak to the training styles of Derek or Bill or Suzy? Pescadero is probably closer (and a nice place to visit!) but it's all about the trainer after what we've been thru (my rescue BC went thru a 6-month shutdown period).

Also - I saw someone say that Bill will be in Pescadero on the 28th? Is there a 2nd event there after the FunDay on Saturday?

Many thanks,

CJ & Mitch

Hi CJ& Mitch,

We've had two lesson with Derek and will probaly continue to work with him. He is actually living at Willowside Ranch now. He is very laid back and trains you and your dog to your goal. He is very patient and always eager to share his experiences with you. You can email him at fisherstockdogs@gmail.com or call him at 310-880-9298.

The work day with the club is on the 27th and Bill is giving lessons on 28th. You can contact Nancy if want a lesson with Bill but do it fast because it filling up fast.

We live in SF so Pescadero is probably the closest for us depending on traffic. Good luck. Both of our dogs are rescues. Their personality change even years after you adopt them buts it worth it in the long run.

Many thanks,

CJ & Mitch

CJ and Mitch,

I have not had lessons with Derek, but my trainer Suzy recommended him to the folks at Willowside, where he now gives lessons full time. He has had great success, especially being such a young person , in his training/trialing career. They have many different sized work areas , too.

Suzy's lessons I can speak to and they are very information filled , generous with her time, always there ( meaning doesn't do the " no shows")when you make a lesson date , although it might not start right at the prearranged time. Much better to communicate with her through email than phone. She shuffles a full training group of dogs , many many lessons, and a two year old son! But, in my opinion you get your money's worth and she can read dogs and people pretty darn well. But she will not tell you how great your dog looks as it is slicing at the top or crossing over because it cannot yet go the distance to where sheep are set. She does like serious students, that is to say those who really want to learn and not whine. By serious I do not mean necessarily only those that want to trial but those that want to grow. She is enthusiastic and wants all her students and their dogs to reach as much success as possible. Having had a dog with her for some time and taken lessons full time for two years ( plus taking lessons with my now old-er dog some years ago) I have seen dozens of young dogs owned by Open handlers that are sent to her to start. Her dog husbandry is impeccible, which is easily witnessed as you look at her kennel and turnouts. My dog would not be there if I did not know that to be the case. In short, she loves dogs and is always happy to see her present or former students do well at the trials.

All that said , however, --from Marin it would be a straighter drive down to Pescadero ( and it is so cool and pretty down there! ) possible, but if you are used to driving to NV maybe it won't matter.

Good luck to you where ever you go.

Carolyn

I have taken lessons with both Bill and Suzy (but not Derek) and I like both of them. They have different approaches but are both quiet on the dogs. Bill is in Zamora and might not be that far a drive (certainly closer than Nevada!!!) from Marin. There is also Sandra Milberg 707-539-2414 and Karen Kollgard 707-584-5762 in Santa Rosa which must be closer to you. I haven't trained with either of them, but just went to a trial at Sandra's gorgeous place (she judged) and a play day at Karen's where she was very helpful and calm.

Bill comes to train at Pescadero and if you want to be on the email list send me a message and I'll include you. The 28th is already overbooked and Bill is at the big trial so I don't know how that's going to sort out.

Nancy, Earl and Gus

Many thanks,

CJ & Mitch