BC Boards

Can you help? Am I a BC?

post-9149-1219328678_thumb.jpgpost-9149-1219328731_thumb.jpgpost-9149-1219328281_thumb.jpg

I found this puppy on an old gravel road miles from anywhere. He was pitiful and chased us for a while yelping to get him. We took him home and gave him some RR, food and water, flea & tick meds and dewormer. He's perked up nicely and follows directions very well for such a young pup. I estimate his age to be around 3 - 5 months old. He weighs approx. 8 lbs. l also suspect that he is either all BC or BC Mixed. Can you guess help?

Also any suggestions for neutering too, when? Behavior? etc. Really anything to help!!

Thanks,

Amy in TN

post-9149-1219328712_thumb.jpg

Looks like a mix to me. First glance, I thought- oops border jack. But I can't tell. Let me know what other's think. I'd wait to neuter him until his bones grow, IF you can keep close supervision on him at ALL times. If not, snip away. Thanks for saving this guy. He sure is a cutie pie!!

This might be a long shot, I'm guessing... but he reminds me a lot of a Border Collie/Jack Russell mix. What an adorable pup :rolleyes:

I've asked around a little and that isn't the first time I've heard that combination. What traits make him look like the jack russell? Is this a good combo, temperment wise? I guess I want to do the best I can for the little fella.

Sorry for so many questions.

Amy

If he were younger, I'd say could be all bc. But if he's 3-5 months at that size, then he's most likely mixed with something smaller. Cute as a button! I hope you're keeping him. :D

If he's a JRT/Rat & BC mix, you've two high energy breeds there. People breed this mix on purpose (why, oh, why? :rolleyes:) for doggie sports like flyball. He'll need consistent training and plenty of exercise, but what puppy doesn't?

If he is 3 months old he will still have puppy teeth. If he is 5 months old, he won't. This will make a huge difference as to my breed guess because if he is 8 lbs at 5 months, there's no border collie in that dog!

To be honest, I don't really see border collie in him anyway. That's not to say that he couldn't be, just that I don't see it immediately. And I don't see borderjack either - I could see the jack, but I am not really seeing the border collie.

RDM

If she were younger, I'd say could be all bc. But if she's 3-5 months at that size, then she's most likely mixed with something smaller. Cute as a button! I hope you're keeping her. :rolleyes:

I assume he's 3 - 5 months. I looked at his teeth last night and it looked like MOST of his baby teeth were in, no adult teeth and about 2 molars that were just coming through. Does that seem to be 3-5 months?

Amy

Border Jack was my first reaction... or some sort of terrier anyway... I guess what says JRT to me is his size, how his body is mostly white with a colored head (although I know color doesn't really mean anything), and his long legs. That's JMO though.

I assume he's 3 - 5 months. I looked at his teeth last night and it looked like MOST of his baby teeth were in, no adult teeth and about 2 molars that were just coming through. Does that seem to be 3-5 months?

Amy

Someone else will know better than me, but that sounds like closer to 3 months than 5. I suck at the breed guessing game, so who knows? :rolleyes:

Someone else will know better than me, but that sounds like closer to 3 months than 5. I suck at the breed guessing game, so who knows? :rolleyes:

I'd have to guess that from ground to head he is about 2 feet high. Weight he seems solid 8 - 10 but stalky.

We've fallen in love with him and no matter what "breed" he is. He's been taking direction very well and voluntarily goes into kennel, stopped jumping etc.

Ask your vet to estimate age for you. That'll be a guess, but it'll be an educated guess. USUALLY the puppy teeth will shed and the adult teeth will come in at particular average ages, although there is some individual variation in this. Generally the upper canine tooth is easy to check and relatively consistent; it typically begins to erupt at 5 months of age, and is fully erupted at 6 months of age. If there are still baby incisiors, the puppy is probably under four months old.

Very cute, regardless of age or breed!

I'd have to guess that from ground to head he is about 2 feet high. Weight he seems solid 8 - 10 but stalky.

Measure from the ground to his withers (the top of his shoulders)... that's a more accurate measurement, as their head goes up and down and doesn't give a very good indication of height.

My signature has 4 dogs in it. One of which is a borderjack. He looks like a jack on steroids. Depending on the age, I would say some kind of sheltie mix maybe with jrt or other terrier. It is hard to tell about a mix and what it might be. You really don't see border collie in my borderjack but I know for a fact that is what he is...

No matter what that is one cute puppy.

edited to add pics of Riot

IMG_1366.jpg

IMG_0991.jpg

My signature has 4 dogs in it. One of which is a borderjack. He looks like a jack on steroids. Depending on the age, I would say some kind of sheltie mix maybe with jrt or other terrier. It is hard to tell about a mix and what it might be. You really don't see border collie in my borderjack but I know for a fact that is what he is...

No matter what that is one cute puppy.

edited to add pics of Riot

IMG_1366.jpg

IMG_0991.jpg

I forgot to mention that he hasn't dropped his "BOY" parts yet either.

OK, I was WRONG about the weight, he is actually 18 lbs and 3 months old. With that kind of weight does that place him in the possible border collie breed?

This weekend he was amazing!! He would just sit on my lap with his eyes closed soaking up the LOVE!!! He's just an amazing little guy!

Amy

Going by his weight, he doesn't sound as small as he looks in the original pictures. Going by the weight, it definitely places him in the range of being a medium sized dog, I still personally think he could be a Border Collie/Jack Russell. Because I am involved in flyball, I've seen them as small as a JRT, or up to about 22" tall making them 'average' BC sized. What gets me are the markings - they look very much like a Jack's. The face looks like it might have some sort of border collie in it... but I'm not an expert. More pictures would help :D

As far as personality, etc... High Energy is the first words that come to mind. They are often used in flyball because they are fast, focused, and driven. Where I train there are at least three BorderJacks around, and all three of them are amazing flyball dogs.

My BC girl Nova is 19 lbs at 5 months, and 17" tall at the shoulders. When I got her she was 10 lbs at 11 weeks of age. If that gives any sort of indication of size for a smaller sized Border Collie. :rolleyes: