BC Boards

Movies and their impact on specific breeds

The thought of another border collie movie brings back memories of children asking if they could "Pet Fly and Rex" from the movie Babe whenever I took my guys to a local colleges agricultural weekend. I am sure that bcs were flying off the shelves so to speak with all the marketing that was done for that movie. Will Mr Katz's movie have the same impact who knows. I have noticed however that there seem to be more and more commercials coming out with borders and aussies appearing in the if for no other reason than to have a dog in the background. So they see these breeds being pretty, doing cool tricks, ect, and think "hey what a great dog!" or the kids pester for a puppy like in Babe or this or that commercial or kids program. I dont remember Disney or any other movie company setting up a fund for the backlash impact on any of the breeds being used in specifically dog based movies. Right now the hot breed is the Malumute or Husky ie Sled Dogs and 8 Below. How many kids are pestering for one of them? How much actual research is done by the parent(s) into these breeds before hand? Do they just go to the nearest petstore and say "I'll take that one" Like they're picking a sofa or lamp. Just to stop the whinning and begging of their offspring. Would that before a movie company considered their pocketbooks and how much renown they will receive when the movie is released, they would consider donating a portion of the revenue to that breed rescue..not SPCA or local city shelters but to those specific breed rescues in the major cities that the movie is release. Wishful thinking? A Fantasy? The proverbial snowballs chance in hell of actually happening? You got it! Another alternative could be a simple 15 minute infomercial shown as a teeser to the movie about the featured breed not with the sweetsy cutesy stuff that AKC would put out but talking to actual owners, rescuers and good reliable breeders for that breed? As the saying goes "Noooottt gonna happen". So here we are as border collie owners, lovers, rescuers and respectors of the breed left in a neverending battle to pickup the pieces where irresponsibility will leave off.

Maybe we should try educating adults on the different breeds and their needs
Oh, yeah, that's going to work...NOT! No, Mayor McCheese, I am not demeaning you or your idea, so please do not be offended by my comment. The answer to too many problems and issues, as proposed by our politicians, has been, "Let's educate people." An admirable theory, and I really do wish it would work; after all, this board is made up of those who have chosen to educate themselves about the breed. But if this was a viable universal approach, there would be fewer abortions, people would not use cell phones while driving, substance abuse would be eliminated, more dogs and cats would be neutered, people would drive smaller fuel-efficient vehicles...the list goes on and on. I hate to sound like a cynic; but reality dictates that all the "education" in the world serves no purpose unless people are willing to demonstrate the intelligence and common sense to act upon it.

But then again, that is only my opinion...

Exactly my point Bustopher thank you. Education cannot do everything. You can educate and talk until you are blue but someone must be willing to listen and learn from what you are saying. I am not laying all the blame for any breeds plight directly at the feet of the media but they are not helping things at all. They simply stir the pot to boil when they release these type movies and rescues and shelters are left to clean up the mess.

I agree entirely with you, Bustopher. There's all the information in the world out there, and people simply do not bother to educate themselves. People put a whole lot more research into what kind of car they buy than into what kind of dog they get, which is something that just really floors me.........and also disgusts me. That so many people will acquire an animal--a living spirit with a mind and feelings -- with less thought than that to which they will give to the purchase of, say, a dining room set. If people would simply go to the internet and type in "Border Collie" and read for 30 minutes what comes up, they would know something about the breed; perhaps enough to know whether or not they can handle having one. And then maybe our rescue group wouldn't be already at our 100th dog for this year, only half way through the year.

So...perhaps we need a movie or a television show out there that deals with rescue and hence breed issues. Like an ER for dogs. I'm going to give it a thought. You all do too. The message has to be strong and hip if you're going to change a culture...merchandizing franchises with rescue kick back, MacDonald's Ronald to the Rescue.

Many people are as impressionable as clay, and about as smart.

Finding Nemo influenced a lot of silly people with poor judgement to kill a LOT of saltwater fish, because everyone wanted a Nemo and a Dorie (doris?) and had no idea the knowledge, skill, and patience it takes to start a saltwater tank.

But on the other hand,

What breed do you suggest that hollywood uses?

I would expect to see Huskies in a sledding movie, and I'd expect to see a BC in a movie on a farm.

8 Below wouldn't have worked with, say, Chihuahuas.

But if it did - they should fund Chihuahua rescues?

What about BAD PRESS? In a lot of movies, the villain dogs are German Shepherds and Dobermans. Nothing wrong with either of those breeds - In fact, I think Dobermans are sweetie-pups.

Should they also run a campaign to say "Hey, sure, a Doberman was the bad guy, but these are really great dogs?"

Unfortunately, as long as people are influenced by fictional work to make real life decisions - people will make bad decisions.

At the same time, can we really expect them to be responsible for it? Is it disney's fault that a bunch of impressionable sheeple went out and bought Huskies, Malamutes, Etc?

Why stop at dogs? In a movie promoting children/families, should Disney offer support for people having children before they are ready, because they want what is in the movie?

Though Disney is huge, and has seemingly bottomless pockets, I have a hard time blaming them for people's impressionable stupidity.

*edit

Meg's mom: That's an excellent idea. Make the movie heartwarming, and appealing to kids, combine shelter experience from professionals... People might learn something, as long as its entertaining

Animal planet has a lot of good shows, but its people like us that watch them.

*further edit

Something familiar... Movie starts in a home, a new BC puppy. Kids love the puppy. Parents love the puppy. Puppy pees on the carpet, puppy chews everything, people start getting annoyed with puppy

after a "year elapsed time" puppy has far too much energy, gets very little attention... Kids are sad, adults are uncaring - Puppy goes to a shelter. It's a rough while for puppy. Other puppies are abandoned "too much energy" etc. They think the dog is aggressive because it jumps and nips for attention (True story with my aus. shepherd, she is a friggin sweetie, her previous owners were just clueless.)

Dog gets close to being destroyed... Some people try to adopt it, but the KNOWLEDGEABLE staff sees they have small children, advises against it - etc...

finally, someone adopts the puppy ,gives it plenty to do, and has a lot of hard work ahead of him... Dog grows up to be a champion frisbee dog, or something.

This might be a better plot fo a movie, done from the dog's point of view:

---------------

When I was a puppy, I entertained you with my antics and made you laugh. You called me your child, and despite a number of chewed shoes and a couple of murdered throw pillows, I became your best friend. Whenever I was "bad," you'd shake your finger at me and ask, "How could you?" -- but then you'd relent and roll me over for a bellyrub.

My housebreaking took a little longer than expected, because you were terribly busy, but we worked on that together. I remember those nights of nuzzling you in bed and listening to your confidences and secret dreams, and I believed that life could not be any more perfect.

We went for long walks and runs in the park, car rides, stops for ice cream (I only got the cone because "ice cream is bad for dogs" you said), and I took long naps in the sun waiting for you to come home at the end of the day.

Gradually, you began spending more time at work and on your career, and more time searching for a human mate. I waited for you patiently, comforted you through heartbreaks and disappointments, never chided you about bad decisions, and romped with glee at your homecomings, and when you fell in love.

She, now your wife, is not a "dog person" -- still I welcomed her into our home, tried to show her affection, and obeyed her. I was happy because you were happy. Then the human babies came along and I shared your excitement. I was fascinated by their pinkness, how they smelled, and I wanted to mother them, too. Only she and you worried that I might hurt them, and I spent most of my time banished to another room, or to a dog crate.

Oh, how I wanted to love them, but I became a "prisoner of love." As they began to grow, I became their friend. They clung to my fur and pulled themselves up on wobbly legs, poked fingers in my eyes, investigated my ears, and gave me kisses on my nose. I loved everything about them and their touch -- because your touch was now so infrequent -- and I would've defended them with my life if need be. I would sneak into their beds and listen to their worries and secret dreams, and together we waited for the sound of your car in the driveway.

There had been a time, when others asked you if you had a dog, that you produced a photo of me from your wallet and told them stories about me. These past few years, you just answered "yes" and changed the subject. I had gone from being "your dog" to "just a dog," and you resented every expenditure on my behalf. Now, you have a new career opportunity in another city, and you and they will be moving to an apartment that does not allow pets. You've made the right decision for your "family," but there was a time when I was your only family.

I was excited about the car ride until we arrived at the animal shelter. It smelled of dogs and cats, of fear, of hopelessness. You filled out the paperwork and said, "I know you will find a good home for her." They shrugged and gave you a pained look. They understand the realities facing a middle-aged dog, even one with "papers." You had to pry your son's fingers loose from my collar, as he screamed "No, Daddy, please don't let them take my dog!" And I worried for him, and what lessons you had just taught him about friendship and loyalty, about love and responsibility, and about respect for all life.

You gave me a good-bye pat on the head, avoided my eyes, and politely refused to take my collar and leash with you. You had a deadline to meet and now I have one, too. After you left, the two nice ladies said you probably knew about your upcoming move months ago and made no attempt to find me another good home. They shook their heads and asked, "How could you?"

They are as attentive to us here in the shelter as their busy schedules allow. They feed us, of course, but I lost my appetite days ago. At first, whenever anyone passed my pen, I rushed to the front, hoping it was you that you had changed your mind -- that this was all a bad dream... or I hoped it would at least be someone who cared, anyone who might save me.

When I realized I could not compete with the frolicking for attention of happy puppies, oblivious to their own fate, I retreated to a far corner and waited. I heard her footsteps as she came for me at the end of the day, and I padded along the aisle after her to a separate room. A blissfully quiet room. She placed me on the table and rubbed my ears, and told me not to worry. My heart pounded in anticipation of what was to come, but there was also a sense of relief. The prisoner of love had run out of days.

As is my nature, I was more concerned about her. The burden that she bears weighs heavily on her, and I know that, the same way I knew your every mood. She gently placed a tourniquet around my foreleg as a tear ran down her cheek. I licked her hand in the same way I used to comfort you so many years ago. She expertly slid the hypodermic needle into my vein. As I felt the sting and the cool liquid coursing through my body, I lay down sleepily, looked into her kind eyes and murmured "How could you?"

Perhaps because she understood my dogspeak, she said, "I'm so sorry." She hugged me, and hurriedly explained it was her job to make sure I went to a better place, where I wouldn't be ignored or abused or abandoned, or have to fend for myself -- a place of love and light so very different from this earthly place. And with my last bit of energy, I tried to convey to her with a thump of my tail that my "How could you?" was not directed at her.

It was directed at you, My Beloved Master, I was thinking of you. I will think of you and wait for you forever. May everyone in your life continue to show you so much loyalty.

---------------

Jim Willis of Grand Rapids, Michigan took out a $7000 full-page ad in the paper to present this essay to the people of his community. Anyone is welcome to distribute the essay for a noncommercial purpose, as long as it is properly attributed with the copyright notice. Please use it to help educate, on websites, in newsletters, on animal shelter and vet office bulletin boards. Tell the public that the decision to add a pet to the family is an important one for life, that animals deserve our love and sensible care, that finding another appropriate home for your animal is your responsibility and any local humane society or animal welfare league can offer you good advice, and that all life is precious. Please do your part to stop the killing, and encourage all spay and neuter campaigns in order to prevent unwanted animals.

Great thanks for making me cry good grief... Plain and simple, lots of people dont care. That is why we have so many animals in shelters IMO. They dont care what happens to that dog they dump, because in most peoples minds its just a dog. Its not a living soul that deserves better. Animal planet has some great shows on that if anyone would watch even 1 of them they'd have to be touched or they'd have to chisel the ice off their heart to feel anything. I cant watch those shows. I cry every time I see a hurt animal or especially ones they have to put down. :rolleyes:

What about suggesting to Disney and other Film companies to have an advertisement such as SPCA or Betty White or another animal rights celeb to state before the movie how important it is to be a responsible pet owner before adopting a dog and promote adoption through rescue orgs. We can't just stop them from using dogs it's like saying don't make kid movies using kids.

Could be an idea...

Yay Jojo!!! Thank you for seeing what I was saying. I am NOT saying that Disney or anyother movie company should stop making animal movies, but take the time and responsibility to let people know about the animals that are in their movies. Huskies and Mals are great dogs, but from what I have heard on other lists and by talking to owners they can be very independent, need lots of exercise, can at times be difficult to train.

++++++++++++++++++

Sky92x you wrote:

What breed do you suggest that hollywood uses?

I would expect to see Huskies in a sledding movie, and I'd expect to see a BC in a movie on a farm.

8 Below wouldn't have worked with, say, Chihuahuas.

But if it did - they should fund Chihuahua rescues?

+++++

They should perhaps make a DONATION to rescue. Talk about great press a movie company making a donation to a charity in relation to their movie people would think they were wonderful. Definately they should talk about the breed they are working with. I personally cant stand Chi's, they may be wonderful dogs but not for me

++++++

+++++

What about BAD PRESS? In a lot of movies, the villain dogs are German Shepherds and Dobermans. Nothing wrong with either of those breeds - In fact, I think Dobermans are sweetie-pups.

Should they also run a campaign to say "Hey, sure, a Doberman was the bad guy, but these are really great dogs?"

+++++

YES!! they should! Look at all the reporting by TV and newspaper about dogbites and attacks and the damage it has done to many breeds! Do you know what breed actually had at one point the highest number of reported dog bites? the AMERICAN COCKER SPANIEL!! A friends son was bitten in the face by his grandmothers cocker...from both sides of the story it was an unprovoked attack result - 132 stitches and plastic surgery. I compete in agility and let me tell you I know alot of nice Rotties, Dobes, Pits, Mastiffs. These are breeds that have been long malined by newspaper and tv. SO YES people should know that there are some wonderful dogs of thoses breeds out there and WHERE to find them!!

+++++++++++++++

Unfortunately, as long as people are influenced by fictional work to make real life decisions - people will make bad decisions.

++++++++

It is in our nature to make bad decisions because people we revere ie: actors & actresses hold a special place in our societies heirarchy. To some they can do no wrong, whatever they say it must be right. Unfortunately the ones that do support rescues and shelters are less known to the younger population of our country. SKY did you know that an actress named Tippi Hendren (I cant remember what she played in now) runs a Big Cat sanctuary...thats what she did with her money. She didnt run out and buy a 40 room mansion (I cant figure out why anyone would need 40 rooms in their house to begin with.) How about Betty White? Do you know who she is? She is a very strong supporter of animal rescue.

++++++++

Think about what movies are doing and the quantity of animals used for example: 101 Dalmations the live version how many pups where used in the making of that movie and what happened to them after they out grew their part literally? It takes more than just a couple of months to film a movies and pups grow fast. Where did they go? Did Disney help find them good home? Did they get returned to whatever puppy farm they came from? I AM NOT MALIGNING DISNEY I LIKE their movies but they are the most prominate of the movie makers using animals and therefore should provide a good example

I enjoy movies about animals, all animals. Dogs included. One of my fave moves (as an adult) was My Dog Skip. Having said that, when they make these movies, the frustrating aspect for anyone involved in animal welfare that it has nothing to do with the dogs or teaching a lesson about the dogs, it's about touching the heartstrings or making you laugh at the cost of many dogs without the fore-thought to educate. And of course, most of all, it's to make money/

Katz is making money, he could care less about the impact on Border Collie's as a breed, it's all about him. And even if that is "Understandable" because I'm sure we all have our "all about me" moments, if he truly loved the breed or dogs in general, he would have some kind of announcement at the beginning and/or end of the film as Pat above suggested.

I suppose we could debate on whether or not it's Hollywood's obligation to educate the public, after all, they're only making a movie, and yet some movies try to send a message, try to deal with current issues...why not this one as well?? How better to touch at heartstrings and get attention then to show how many Border Collies are in rescue....or dalamations....or huskies.

Maria

Personal responsibility is a thing of the past for 95% of the population. Thats why we have a cradle to grave welfare system, outrageous lawsuits for burning yourself with coffee and all kinds of other garbage. Everyone thinks they are a victim of the system.

I'm not sure I'm remembering this correctly as it has been several years since I saw the second 101 Dalmation movie. However, I thought that Disney put some type of caution at the end of that movie or the one using live pups about getting a Dalmation. I believe that it was a direct result of the Dalmation parent club as well as a huge amount of Dalmation rescues and shelters letting Disney know the result of the first movie after it was re-released in the theaters and came out on video.

I dont know the name of the Katz book they are using but yes one of his books is being made into a movie. Which is what sparked my thoughts on the whole shebang.