BC Boards

Getting a dogs mind in the right place

1sheepdoggal

Its late right now, but I will e-mail ya both, Becca and Robin after work tomorrow, and we can work some thing out. Thanks, both of you.

Ted has a message for Chris: "Watch out! If you don't settle down your mom will give you sheep so often you will be SICK of them!"

It's complicated, but because our sheep are insisting on coming in the yard, Ted has been out working on his flanking and holding exercises eleven times already today. I decided today to make the yard a place to avoid by training there when I got "volunteers." Funny thing, I'm not getting many repeat customers, but I've got close to sixty sheep and they only are coming half a dozen or so at a time.

The first four times, Ted leaped up the second I moved towards the back door, as usual.

The next five times, Ted leaped up when I said, "Look, volunteers!"

The next two times, Ted just rolled his eyes when I said, "Look, volunteers!" and waited for me to actually call him out the back door. :rolleyes:

This isn't about Darci's situation per se, but it may be helpful. Years ago when I was in SAR, we always kept log books on our dogs. There were legal reasons for this as well as it being a convenient way for certified handlers to review an apprentice's training. I still keep a log book now with every dog I start. I find that it's a really good practice for many reasons. Not only does it help me give my thoughts an order and instill a degree of organization and purpose onto training sessions that they might otherwise lack, but it also lets me review what I have done and have long I have been doing it. Often, something may be really bugging me and I will think I have done everything that can be done -- but when I look at my log, I see that I have only really been focusing on it for a few days. Alternately, I can find that I have been working the same problem for many months, so I know that my approach has something basically wrong for that dog and I need to try something new. I also write down notes from lessons or inspired advice that I have been given. This can be really helpful when I am reviewing an old log, tinking about a problem with a current dog.

BTW, the main lesson that keeping logs has given me is that patience is the most important tool in my box, bar none.

the same problem for many months, so I know that my approach has something basically wrong for that dog and I need to try something new. I also write down notes from lessons or inspired advice that I have been given. This can be really helpful when I am reviewing an old log, tinking about a problem with a current dog.

BTW, the main lesson that keeping logs has given me is that patience is the most important tool in my box, bar none.

I did the exact same thing when i started my first 2 dogs. I mean, i wrote down every single little thing. I also got a small voice recorder and took it along to lessons. Sometimes i'd record parts of the lessons, and many times i'd record myself reviewing the lesson on my drive home.

I haven't looked at those notebooks in years! Maybe i'll take a walk down memory lane this weekend. :rolleyes:

I still keep a log book now with every dog I start.

I, too, keep what I refer to as a journal (I'm an English teacher) for every dog I start, even the ones who are only here a short time. They're both fun and informative to go back and look at as the dogs progress, or after one has been gone a while,

A