BC Boards

Those who feed Canidae.

Hmmmm...I'll be the odd bird. All three of my dogs have been eating Canidae for a couple of years now. I am 3/4 of the way through a bag of the new formula and haven't noticed any changes in itchyness (little to none, as usual), coat, or poop. Firm stool from all three. I'll be sticking with it for the time being, I just can't afford the more expensive foods when I get Canidae for wholesale prices at work.

Olivia

Oh, don't get me wrong, I think it's still a great food. Fly is doing very well on the new formula -- if anything her stools are probably firmer, and that's saying something considering Fly tends to have squishy poop. Solo, on the other hand, becomes a poop fountain every time he has more than a handful. The moral of the story is, they're all different.

I just got a new bag of Canidae two weeks ago, noticed when I opened it that the kibble colour was different. So far I haven't noticed any change with Nova, but I'm keeping an eye on her. I really can't afford to feed anything too expensive, Canidae was a good price for me... So I'm hoping I won't have to change, but I am starting to consider it. This sucks since this is the third food I've switched to. I was finally happy, and now they change it...

Just got my new free bag of Canidae (44lbs.) two days ago. Don't like the looks or smell of it at all. I feed that plus raw. Anyway, despite the fact that I am disappointed in it, the dogs seem to really like it a lot! Even those who usually eat the raw, then just a bit of the kibble have eaten all the kibble I put in front of them the past 2 days. We'll see...

A

I do feed Orijen (the fish flavour). Daisy has been doing well on it, as was she on ACANA, but her nails were brittle. She's been on the Orijen for a good two months, maby three (bad with dates/time) and her nails have improved somewhat, so I am waiting to see if they get really good. The only complaint I have is that is smell REALLY strongly of fish! She loves it! I do feed the min. amount though as she's not really active as far as some BC's go but I have not had any issues with her weight since the switch either. Oh, FWIW, you will also have no problems crossing Canada/US borders with it either.

2 of the dogs here are on Canidae ALS. They both did wonderful on it. We bought a bag about 2 weeks ago and they said it wasn't the new stuff, but the color and size was different than the old Canidae. So I'm not sure.

Though, I'm very unhappy about the bag/price change. That is the main reasons my parents would buy that food.

If the Canidae bag was either a 35 lb. bag or a 44, it's the new stuff. The color is much lighter, and the kibble looks more like "cheap" kibble to me. Smells more like cheap food to me, too. So I just spent an hour or so at my local feed store comparing brands of dog foods, with paper, pen, and calculator in hand. I decided that I would stick to what they sell there, as I won't spend the fuel to go down the hill for food (15+ miles). They have a lot of different brands, and by comparing ingredients along with price, I think the Chicken Soup one looks pretty good (some others looked good, but they were WAY out of my price range). It comes out to .94 per lb., while the Canidae is at .89 (the new price). The ingredients look pretty good--comparable to the OLD Canidae. Has anyone used the Chicken Soup one? What do you think? I still also feed raw, but like to have the kibble I do use be the best I can afford, feeding anywhere from 6-8 dogs at any given time,

A

The ingredients look pretty good--comparable to the OLD Canidae. Has anyone used the Chicken Soup one? What do you think? I still also feed raw, but like to have the kibble I do use be the best I can afford, feeding anywhere from 6-8 dogs at any given time,

A

I fed Chicken Soup for a while and I really, really liked how Maddie and Sammie did on it. Dean ate their puppy formula when we first adopted him and he did well with that.

I didn't stop feeding it because of any problem with it. I wanted to try grain free for Sammie because of his ears and never went back to kibble with grain.

The Chicken Soup, I think, is an excellent value.