BC Boards

Those who feed Canidae.

I was just curious to see if anyone feeding Canidae is going to switch due to the change in formula? I've been researching this alot and I think I may try going for something else. I've been feeding it for months now. I just don't like the "ocean fish meal" which may contain ethoxyquin and "gluten" present now. I'm just having a hard time deciding what to switch to. Seems like Evo , Innova and all the other natura products are excellent but just really high in protein and calcium. I just don't know if that would be ok for 6.5 month old pups still growing. Anyone have any experience with Orijen?

I have been researching foods. I am switching from Medi-cal which also changed their formula. We went shopping yesterday for foods. One store told us that Canidae sales have dropped. We are going to try a switch to Orijen and the store also gave us samples of EVO. I am not sure but I think you will be able to find a puppy formula. I have kept my dogs on puppy foods for 8 months and then make a slow transition to adult food. We have had no problems with this approach.

I am also feeding Canadae and am hoping people will respond to Skylar08's post.

I bought an extra two bags that have the original formula so I have a little more

time for some research. It's a pity. My dog's have done better on this food than

anything else I've tried.

I hadn't heard about a change in formula. I am feeding the lamb and rice, is that still the same? I still thinking raw might be the way to go as we won't be at the mercy of these dog food manufacturers and the companies who sell them the ingredients.

I have a friend who feeds Orijen and she's been quite happy with it; I don't have any personal experience with it, but I would second the idea of Eagle Pack Holistic - both my girls have done well on it.

Unfortunately EP is hard to find since I moved a year ago so we generally just do a rotation between Solid Gold Mmillenia, EP, Wellness (regular, not Core), Proplan Selects Salmon (the only formula I will feed, the turkey doesn't seem to be as high in quality), and Prairie. When cost is not as much an issue I'll likely add in Evo, Wellness Core, and Timberwolf Organics.

I didn't know there was a formula change. When was it implemented? Does it affect all formulas? Solo and Fly were both eating Canidae Platinum (translation: Canidae for Old Fat Dogs), but with the last bag it started giving Solo diarrhea. I somehow did not connect the diarrhea with the new bag of food, which makes me feel silly because the cause/effect relationship was pretty obvious. If I needed to induce diarrhea in Solo, I would feed him some Canidae Platinum.

Fly is still doing well on Canidae Platinum. Solo is now sharing Jett's food (Innova EVO, yellow bag) and doing fine on it. I thought it would make him fat and only meant to use it as a stopgap while I figured out something different to feed the old fat dogs, but he isn't getting fat. I might change him and Fly to EVO for Old Fat Dogs anyway. I am somewhat intrigued by the Kirkland discussion on another thread, but as it is impossible to buy a small bag of the stuff I am not sure I want to take a chance on it.

I am somewhat intrigued by the Kirkland discussion on another thread, but as it is impossible to buy a small bag of the stuff I am not sure I want to take a chance on it.

You can return the huge bag to Costo if your dogs don't like it or don't do well on it. Costco pretty much takes back anything and guarantees all of their Kirkland brand products, so you can return the food if you are not satisfied.

Canidae was bought by another company and that is when the formula change happened.

My friends that were feeding Canidae say all their dogs were having diarrhea.

Melanie - awhile back Evo switched their bags and the senior food was in a bag that looked like the regular food bag. The regular food was switched to a different look. Well I did not know the of the bag change and well all my dogs lost way too much weight. I figured it out by accident about the bag switch and then felt guilty. So if you are worried about weight gain, the senior version is a good food for not adding weight :rolleyes:

The Canidae new formula lamb and rice gave every one of our dogs diarrhea--they've seemed to do fine on the regular formula, but, like Mary, I've noticed that several of them are pretty itchy lately--I thought it might be dry skin as they don't have fleas. We just finished the second bag of the new formula Canidae, so now I think we'll go back to Wellness or try Eagle Pack. bummer--they've been doing really well on Canidae up to now.

I buy Canidae lamb and rice, but about a month or so back, I brought home a bag, and noted the kibble color was different. I looked on the bag and it did note a change, that they now used fresh lamb. My oldest dog turned up her nose at it so thought maybe she was just getting bored with the flavor. I bought a bag of the original and all four of my dogs liked it, but they all seem to be getting picky now.

Samantha

I have one guard dog that is eating Canidae ALS. The bag before the current one had strange-shaped kibbles, not just the nuggets it usually is, and it had a sheen to it that the nuggets usually don't. Zeus was ambivilent about it at first, but did eventually eat it. The most recent bag I got was looked like the old stuff, and Zeus eats it much more readily. If the strange kibble is the new formulation, I will probably try to find something else to feed him. It costs too much to be only semi-palatable. I've also heard (maybe on this board?) that Canidae is about to switch to a 33 or 35-lb bag. If they follow the pattern set by other dog food manufacturers, it will be less food for the same money. Very disappointing.

I've been feeding Canidae in my rotation for several years now. Yep, all of their formulas are changing, and I don't think for the better from an ingredient profile standpoint, but I'd think it would be a case of trying it before ditching it. I wouldn't have made an immediate switch, but Zippy starting itching INSANELY. He was waking me up in the middle of the night scratching even. June and Linc seem to be doing fine on the new formulas but it's time to rotate anyway, so when they finish this bag of the L&R we'll do something else for a while, until I figure out what to do.

I'm not sure that is correct. As far as I can find out, Canidae had production problems and outsourced all their production to Diamond. I don't think they ownership has changed.

This is correct. And since Diamond has such an awful reputation, both of the major holistic food suppliers in this area have dropped Canidae from their shelves. I've also heard numerous complaints about ingredient changes resulting in allergies (skin itchy, hair loss).

In response to Orijen I don't know many that use it - but those that are are very happy. It's currently being considered the replacement for Canidae by holistic kibble suppliers. We'll see.

I am trying Orijen now with my guys and so far nothing out of the ordinary. They like the food and the transition is going as expected. I have noticed an increase in itching so I am watching for skin problems carefully. Will keep you up to date.

I had three dogs on Canidae at the time of the formula change. I switched my own dog over to Wellness Core before opening the new bag of Canidae and he has been doing really great on it. I wanted to try a grain-free, but I've heard that some are too high in protein. Wellness Core is lower protein. He used to have loose stools every few weeks, but not once since I switched him over a month or so ago!

Both of my fosters who were eating canidae got diarrhea when they started eating the new formula. It seemed to clear up after a few days though. I don't have either of them anymore, but I think both are still eating Canidae and doing fine.

I guess I'm not sure what I'll do yet either. I know we still have about 20 lbs. left of the last bag of the old formula that our garden store had. And they also told me that yes, they are making the bag sizes smaller and the price is going up also. What a bummer, oh well I'll find something good for the girls. I guess I'll have to ask what they can get at the store, I checked Eagle Packs website and they weren't listed as a supplier, but with Orijen they were. I also saw that Orijen was like 60$+ for a 20-30 lb. bag?

I had just switched over to it and really liked it, then the last bag I bought, the color was different. I noticed this because I put the last of the old bag on top of the new in my "bin". Usher's poop turned the same color as the nuggets and wasn't as solid. I wouldn't say runny (here we go talking poo again) I thought I had finally found a food that I could stick with for many years and now this. I swear, I never paid this much attention to my kids baby food as I do my dog food.