BC Boards

dogs from 911

I've been thinking about the SAR dogs today from 911. I think the stories and pictures about the dogs that day are so touching--and I read an article that most of them have suffered no ill effects from the exposure. Has anyone else heard that? I saw a picture of "Cowboy," the bc that worked that day, what a beautie! Charlene

I saw that on the news!!! I was just looking for that article. In fact there was a dog named Annie (I think) that was on cnn or fox or some news station, and she was a golden retreiver. A beautiful dog. I think its wonderful what dogs can do, and great if they havent suffered the ill effects humans have. I've thought a lot about 9-11 today, it still touches my heart.

On the news today they had a lady who has written a book featuring 9-11 SAR dogs. She said the most of the the dogs had suffered little to no ill effects from their time at Ground Zero. I was surprised to hear that.

Here is a website of the Search Dog Foundation they were responsible for training/placing 13 of of the dogs who were deployed to Ground Zero.

I know of one GSD that was a SAR dog there and he died a little over a year ago due to health problems resulting from working at Ground Zero. I'm really surprised to hear that few dogs have suffered from ill effects when so many of their human counterparts have - and I believe they had masks which the SAR dogs didn't.

I got to meet several of the SAR handlers and their dogs. I worked with a group that put on a sheepdog trial where we did a tribute to the 911 dogs and handlers. I made their flight arrangements and drove them around to their hotel and the trial grounds. I took a couple to my kid's Civil Air Patrol meeting. One of those dogs was Pepe the dog in the picture shaking "paws" with President Bush. I got a picture of Pepe shaking paws with my husband. If I can find it, I'll post it later. They told the kids what they had been through and let all the kids meet the dogs. They were wonderful people and of course the dogs were great. I met "Cowboy" too.

shemp spent 13 days on the pile with me and now suffers from siezures.they come in clusters every 2 or 3 weeks. i cant breath on hot and humid days.shemp is a large golden @100 lbs.730 dogs worked the pile, 5 died while working.12 still work the surrounding blocks still searching for remains.over 300 people were never recovered.my doc says to expect asbestosis or copd from it.shemp is a retired sgt with chicago pd he is my pal!!!!!!