BC Boards

AAC Questions

Hi all

I'm a LONG time lurker ... I delurked last summer, but then life got busy again and back into lurkdom I went :rolleyes:

Anyway, I do primarily USDAA here in the States, but I am originally from Canada and my parents still live there. I am thinking about maybe doing some AAC agility next year which will allow me to see my parents more often. As there are people who compete in AAC here on this board as well as USDAA, I figured this was a good place to come out and ask some of my questions:

1. Steeplechase .... I see that several trials offer more than one round of Steeplechase ... can you enter all of the rounds? Is it a one round class like any of the titling classes or is it like USDAA Steeplechase where you have to qualify out of round 1 to run in round 2? From reading the rules it seems like it is a one class thing, and where trials offer 2, 3 or 4 rounds of Steeplechase, that is an opportunity for that many Q's.

2. In one of the other threads I read that AAC allows training in the ring? Really?!? That would be SO cool .... not that I really want to drive 8 hours to Ontario and then have to resort to training in the ring, but who knows what my younger dog will be like when he finally gets to start to trial :D

3. While looking over trial premiums, I noticed that all of the classes aren't always offered at the Starters level. For example, one trial had all classes offered for Masters and Advanced, but Starters didn't have Team (which sounds like USDAA Pairs) and something else (can't remember if it was Snooker or Gamblers) Is this usual?

4. It has taken quite a while, but USDAA's Performance program is slowly but surely mirroring the Championship program. Is the Specials program/level/division the same as the equivalent of the Championship level in AAC? It looks like it is from the rule book .... my current agility dog, Luce, will be 9 :D this fall and she has been in the Performance program in USDAA almost her entire career due to the old 6'3" aframe. Just last year I moved her from her championship height of 22" to 16" so I would put her in Specials if we did AAC.

5. What is the difference between Specials and Veterans other than the jump height (I take it I could jump her at 10" in Veterans? She is about 19-3/4" tall)

Thanks for any questions you guys can answer!

Helen

1. Steeplechase .... I see that several trials offer more than one round of Steeplechase ... can you enter all of the rounds? Is it a one round class like any of the titling classes or is it like USDAA Steeplechase where you have to qualify out of round 1 to run in round 2? From reading the rules it seems like it is a one class thing, and where trials offer 2, 3 or 4 rounds of Steeplechase, that is an opportunity for that many Q's.

Yup, all Q'able. Some trials have 8 rounds of Steeplechase! You need 10 Qs for a title, and it's time plus faults, though you cannot exceed 30 faults no matter how much under time you are!

2. In one of the other threads I read that AAC allows training in the ring? Really?!? That would be SO cool .... not that I really want to drive 8 hours to Ontario and then have to resort to training in the ring, but who knows what my younger dog will be like when he finally gets to start to trial :D

Have at 'er! When you go into training mode, the judge signals to the timer that you are to be buzzed off at SCT.

3. While looking over trial premiums, I noticed that all of the classes aren't always offered at the Starters level. For example, one trial had all classes offered for Masters and Advanced, but Starters didn't have Team (which sounds like USDAA Pairs) and something else (can't remember if it was Snooker or Gamblers) Is this usual?

Clubs can choose what classes to offer and at what level. Since Gamblers (stupid Gamblers!) is what a lot of dogs need to ATChC, it's not unusual to see 3 rounds of Masters Gamblers. So it's up to the host club.

[4. It has taken quite a while, but USDAA's Performance program is slowly but surely mirroring the Championship program. Is the Specials program/level/division the same as the equivalent of the Championship level in AAC? It looks like it is from the rule book .... my current agility dog, Luce, will be 9 :rolleyes: this fall and she has been in the Performance program in USDAA almost her entire career due to the old 6'3" aframe. Just last year I moved her from her championship height of 22" to 16" so I would put her in Specials if we did AAC.

Specials has no spreads, lower frame, and you jump one height below your measurement. HOWEVER, once you enter Specials you cannot move back to Regular. Dogs over 7 can move to Veterans, . You can drop an additional jump height in Vets, and you get some time allowances.

Very cool, thank you for the info!! I am definitely going to make an effort to do some AAC next year.

And I hear ya about "stupid Gamblers". We only need 3 gamble legs for Luce's Performance ADCH (the APD). She will be 9 soon so I hope she will last long enough to get them :rolleyes:

Specials has no spreads, lower frame, and you jump one height below your measurement. HOWEVER, once you enter Specials you cannot move back to Regular. Dogs over 7 can move to Veterans. You can drop an additional jump height in Vets, and you get some time allowances.

Veterans also has no spreads, lower frame. You are given more time for Standard, Jumpers, Steeplechase and Team. You are given more time for your closing for your gamble, and require fewer points in your opening. Vets in snooker require fewer points but are given the same time as Regular and Specials dogs.

You can go directly to Vets once your dog is over seven, or if your dog is five and has competed in Specials for at least one year. Since your dog is 9, you can run in Regular at 22", Specials at 16", Veterans at 16" or Veterans at 10". Once you enter your dog in Veterans, you cannot move back to Specials or Regular, however you can choose to trial at 16" or 10" for each trial.

If your dog is running at 10" Vets, you also get mini dog time in addition to the extra time for vets. Doesn't help with Gamblers unless your dog is slower :rolleyes: