BC Boards

laugh or cry or both?

I've been feeding Buzz homemade food since his diagnosis, and he's loved it. Until NOW. Since his 2nd round of chemo this past Monday, he's not wanted the rice and meat mixture. Will not eat it. Period. End of discussion. It might be the supplement powder, but it sits in the bowl while he looks at me.

He will, however, eat his regular kibble, California Natural. So, just now, I mixed some kibble with some of the meat mix, and put it down for him. He sniffed, he pondered, he looked at me. I said, "Eat your dinner, Bud." He sniffed again, looked at me again. I said, again, "Go on, eat your dinner."

He nosed the placemat that is under the bowl up, so that it covered the bowl. Then he pushed the whole little package over to the refrigerator and tried hard to push it all the way under. A clear statement has been made.

I put down some kibble for him and he ate it right up. Not eating is not an option, and it's not like the kibble is oreos and potato chips. But - how wierd is it for a dog to refuse meat? :rolleyes:

I'll give the dog nutrition lady an email and see what she says. And I'll try some meat without the supplement mix, (calcium powder and some other stuff) to see if that's what has offended His Highness.

He also won't chew on a dried lamb's ear or a regular raw hide stick, and he loved them. :D

Wish I had a video camera for the whole covering up the nasty food display.

Ruth n the BC3

:rolleyes: Here's hoping Buzz feels much better soon.

Maybe he just feels like the kibble is more bland and starchy, or something.

He nosed the placemat that is under the bowl up, so that it covered the bowl. Then he pushed the whole little package over to the refrigerator and tried hard to push it all the way under. A clear statement has been made.

Ruth n the BC3

You're right Ruth - you don't know whether to laugh - what a character he is! My guess would be nausea related to the smell of the meat -- but that's just a guess. Esp if he's also turning down rawhide and other meat-related 'goodies'. Hopefully it was pass. But great that he's eating nutritious kibble.

Ailsa

Just a thought, I am an RN and have nursed lots of humans after chemo and have had family members having to have chemo and alot have said that some of their previously favourite foods taste yucky or like metal .Chemo kills some of the tastebuds or disturbs them anyway, so its great Buzz is still liking his kibble and I hope he will start enjoying the yummy food you make for him some time soon, I am guessing that dog chemo does the same things to them as it does to us.

Yep, thats exactly what my Bob did. A day or so after the chemo. he would not eat ;-( for a few days. I tried everything I could think of to get him to eat just a little, as he had lost quite a bit of weight. Grilled cheese sandwhiches would usually get a nibble out of him ; -) I;m sure your boy will be ok, just have to get over the hump.

Betty

The mystery is solv-ed, as Inspector Clouseau would say. There is kelp powder in the supplement mix, a whole teaspoon for a week. Warmed the rice and meat just a little, mixed in some supplement stuff without kelp and Voila - he ate it all up!

Sigh of relief. He won't chew up a frozen kong, but will lick stuff out of a plain one, so I'm sure his mouth is sore. He didn't have this response with the first round, so I imagine that each round gets a little harder on him. We'll be prepared next time.

Thanks, guys, it's nice to come here and be a worry wart and read all the supportive replies.

Ruth n the BC3