BC Boards

[size="3"]I wanted to quickly thank everyone who gave me some early help with Mirk - I ran in in Novice for the first time a few weeks ago and the took 3rd & 2nd.

Anyways, the problem I have been having with Mirk is that he will do a farly nice outrun & lift, but then trys to bring me the sheep at a dead run. He'll lessens to his down commands so I can control the situation, but he's not learning to pace himself.

I have tried,

A) downing him, asking him to walk up and if he comes on too fast downing him again. Approach A is getting him too far off contact and then he rushes to cetch up. This approach seems to help some of my other dogs, but Mirk is not "getting it".

:rolleyes: Doing more wearing in hopes that he will figure it out on his own. This results in Mirk's brain shutting down and an annoying windsheald wiper aproach to herding that make me sea sick.

Is there a good plan "C" I should try?[/size]

[size="3"]I wanted to quickly thank everyone who gave me some early help with Mirk - I ran in in Novice for the first time a few weeks ago and the took 3rd & 2nd.

Anyways, the problem I have been having with Mirk is that he will do a farly nice outrun & lift, but then trys to bring me the sheep at a dead run. He'll lessens to his down commands so I can control the situation, but he's not learning to pace himself.

I have tried,

A) downing him, asking him to walk up and if he comes on too fast downing him again. Approach A is getting him too far off contact and then he rushes to cetch up. This approach seems to help some of my other dogs, but Mirk is not "getting it".

:rolleyes: Doing more wearing in hopes that he will figure it out on his own. This results in Mirk's brain shutting down and an annoying windsheald wiper aproach to herding that make me sea sick.

Is there a good plan "C" I should try?[/size]

This dog has never learned how to take the responsibility for how the sheep react coming towards the handler since the fetches have been based on a commanded performance. Getting the dog back underneath you is a complicated process; this procedure can't really be broken down to an easy series of written steps. Please email me for a number so that I can give you some ideas of how to appraoch this.

THanks -

Vergil

This dog has never learned how to take the responsibility for how the sheep react coming towards the handler since the fetches have been based on a commanded performance. Getting the dog back underneath you is a complicated process; this procedure can't really be broken down to an easy series of written steps. Please email me for a number so that I can give you some ideas of how to appraoch this.

THanks -

Vergil

PS - not trying to shut the list out here :rolleyes:; a short version could end up doing more harm than good...

Is there a place in your book where pace is explained? Will check it out as we are having the same issue with our Aussies. Thanks. Didn't mean to steal the topic. Narita

Let me double check! :rolleyes: ...the article on flopping in the recent Working Border Collie might help also.

Much of the time the "windshield wiper effect" is due to the dog being in too close.

Vergil