BC Boards

yellow vomit

mandakay

Isnt yellow vomit with nothing in it stomach bile? My boy throws up every other day around 5:00pm. its yellow and there is nothing at all in it but a little grass. I feed my dogs twice a day, 7:30am and 9:30 pm. Does anyone know if this is common or if maybe we should see a vet? I feed him more than the dog food bag recommends. Someone told me they vomit bile when their bellies are empty. How can that be so with my feeding schedual?

Thanks for any help!

-Manda

I am not certain why he would throw up every day but I am certain that if I was faced with this I would consult with my Vet. I do not feed full meals twice per day and I have never had a problem like this but I certainly would look into it, thanks for asking.

Isnt yellow vomit with nothing in it stomach bile? My boy throws up every other day around 5:00pm. its yellow and there is nothing at all in it but a little grass. I feed my dogs twice a day, 7:30am and 9:30 pm. Does anyone know if this is common or if maybe we should see a vet? I feed him more than the dog food bag recommends. Someone told me they vomit bile when their bellies are empty. How can that be so with my feeding schedual?

Thanks for any help!

-Manda

One of my dogs does this when there is too much time between feedings - hence empty stomach OR when he is over-stressed - like when the pack changes dramatically, which is pretty frequent at my house.

How big is the dog in question? I only have this problem with one of my Shih Tzu dogs...but it is the bigger of the two, so go figure :rolleyes: I also feed twice a day - at 6 and 6 or 5 and 5, depending on the day...Maybe some dogs are just more sensitive than others.

What helps my dog is to feed snacks in between meals. I work during the day, so I cannot easily feed 3 mini meals a day, but I do give Innova Health Bars before bed time or leave them with a Kong during the work day.

When it is stress, it just has to work itself out and generally resolves in a day or two. He is my "worrier" dog and has always been insecure about his status.

Hope that helps.

ETA: I should add that what I was told by my vet was that sometimes the trigger is something like chewing on a bone, which gets the digestive juices flowing and causes the stomach to expect food....I never really understood it, but an in between meal helped when this was happening with Sam...it was actually the other dog that does it when he is stressed. It is still probably worth a call to your vet to see what he/she thinks though.

When I first got my dog, I fed at 5 a.m. and 6 p.m., and he would always throw up during our afternoon hike, which was right before dinner. Always yellow foamy bile. I mentioned it to my sister, who said that HER dog had previously done the same thing when first getting up in the morning, before she had eaten anything. Her vet had told her to just give her a bit of food to put something in her stomach.

So, taking that advice, I started feeding Buddy right before our afternoon walks, so his stomach had something in it. He has never vomited the yellow bile since. Not sure if he would start again should I start to feed later, but I haven't seen any reason to try.

I'm obviously not a vet, but since both me and my sister had this problem, and since her vet's advice fixed it in both cases, my guess is that it's not something to worry about. Try googling "dog yellow foam vomit" and you'll find lots of hits where people describe the same thing, with the dog frequently vomiting like this when on an empty stomach.

Good luck!

Mary

I feed twice a day, too, 6 AM and 6 PM. When Jack was younger, he'd vomit yellow bile late every night, like clockwork. So, I started splitting his dinner, giving him half at 6 PM when I fed the other dog, and the other half later in the night. He stopped the nightly vomiting, and even when I stopped splitting it later, he hasn't had the problem since. I wouldn't invest in a vet visit until you tried adjusting his feeding schedule to see if that solves the problem, first.

My dogs will throw up bile when stressed, over excited, or after exercise if I don't cool them down enough before plopping them into the car, it's actually pretty predictable for us.

If your dog, like Buzz, can get so over excited that he urps, then you need to work on self control and keeping things calm. If it's just an empty stomach for too long, then half a rice cake, a few pieces of kibble, etc, will work.

Ruth n the BC3

Thanks for the help everyone. I dont feel worried at all anymore! Yesterday I gave him a few biscuits when I first got home from work, and then again before our long walk. He didnt even try to eat as much grass, and of course did not get sick.

all4paw- Ruckus is 35lbs, and he doesnt chew on anything, so i guess he was just hungry. Ruckus is also easily stressed, but i do not recall him vomiting because of a stressful situation.

I was worried that something was not right with him, since I have never heard of a dog vomiting bile this much. Thank you all!

Any recommendations on a filling healthy treat? We feed mostly milkbones

• 3 months later...

As noted on another post, my Sophie does this with alarming regularity. I always let her out to potty before her breakfast and she either burps up then (can't call it vomiting because it's more like a liquid burp) or as soon as she comes indoors. Once she eats, she's fine. In fact, other than the liquid burp (which stains the carpet like hell if she does it indoors) she's fine, period.

Sophie also suffers from colitis issues. Just like her "mommy." Some of us human types respond to stress by getting migraines or breaking out in hives. Sophie and I just do tummy bummies.

• 5 years later...

sorry to bump the very old thread - my border collie has been doing this on and off. I started to give him a little snack before bed, but it still happens once in a while. probably a mixture of giving him too spread apart meals, and he does have an antler he chews on a lot..

I give my dog 10 mg of famotidine every night (plus a dinner meal) to prevent the bile throw up in the mornings.

J.

same here - just more feeds closer together and a snack at night and 10mg of pepcid. The bedtime snack here is 1/2 cup of almond milk with a few squares of bread soaked into the bowl.