BC Boards

Does your dog do tricks? venting!!!

I have encountered this many times. Oh, the dog can "speak" on command. Mine remains silent- because I "taught" him to do so. Oh, can your dog shake. NO- I DO, that's why my dog picks up things for me and keeps my balance.

So- as many herding dogs and SD's and other dogs might acquire. Does your dog do tricks?

No- my dog does obedience and that's why he's not jumping in your lap and clawing at you. My dog helps me and maybe he won't "shake your paw" but he sure helps me from shaking mine!

And to the guy at the bar, when you fall down, which would probably be pretty soon, who would be there to pick you up? The dog that shakes hands? Or the dog that WANTS to help you get to your feet and help you, no matter what a##hole you are- YEP- my dog doesn't do tricks, but he will help you when you need it.

Dianne & Usher- the famous "help the drunk dog"

Sorry............venting.

Dianne,

My BCs don't do tricks either, but I don't understand why you're venting. Hopefully not because some dogs (herding included) are taught tricks... Owners who are teaching their dogs tricks are interacting with their dogs. Dogs learning tricks are being kept busy and out of trouble for at least a little while. We do obedience, frisbee and agility...could be seen as an extension of trick training.

Barb S

I think Dianne is venting about being asked if her working dog does tricks over and over, like that's more important than the job he does for her.

I teach my dogs tricks since they often work with kids in either therapy or education settings and I will say that's the one question we get from people reliably when they're doing their "job". It can be kind of odd, especially when you just did a presentation about agility or spent 10 mins talking about how a dog becomes a therapy animal - seems simplistic.

Yeah, my dog knows some tricks (sit/shake/lie down/crawl), but they're pretty much useless to me EXCEPT in situations where we meet strangers who want him to do a trick.

The behaviors I love wouldn't be cool enough to be tricks: freezing by the side of the road, listening to "leave it" in the middle of a snarl at another dog, approaching little kids with an immediate "lie down" for gentleness' sake, asking strangers for a treat by sitting firmly in front of them instead of jumping or lunging. Those things don't look like tricks, but they make our life together much easier, and I'm very proud when he performs them for me. :rolleyes:

I will admit that showing a small child the hand signal for "sit" and having him delight in watching a dog listen to him is pretty cool. And it's good people socialization (for a skittish dog) when I can have strangers ask Buddy to perform a behavior and then reward him for doing it, as I do. It sort of gives a "common language" to strangers and the dog.

Mary

My theory when it comes to obedience, agility and tricks is that it's all tricks. The general public doesn't understand dogs very well or have the first idea how to train them. I'm not surprised that you get asked these questions about your service dog. My sports friends and I often take photos of our dogs posed together. When we meet to let the dogs play (and us yak), we usually take a photo of the whole group of 10 dogs posed for the camera. We find that what many friends, coworkers and family find most impressive about our extensively trained dogs is not the advanced obedience tasks or blazing weave poles or distance handling. It isn't being able to work stock. No, what most people seem amazed by is that our dogs will do a simple sit stay when told. I often get asked if I "photo shopped" my dogs so that they are in one picture.

My response is always, "No, I trained them."

People are astonished.

The behaviors I love wouldn't be cool enough to be tricks: freezing by the side of the road, listening to "leave it" in the middle of a snarl at another dog, approaching little kids with an immediate "lie down" for gentleness' sake, asking strangers for a treat by sitting firmly in front of them instead of jumping or lunging. Those things don't look like tricks, but they make our life together much easier, and I'm very proud when he performs them for me. :rolleyes:

Those sound like great tricks - and more difficult to get solid than a shake, anyway. I am a fan of tricks, but would have never asked the SD of the blind girl I used to tutor to do them. It would have seemed really trite and undignified to me. If she had offered them, well, that would have been fine too. But way more impressive was seeing that dog work while leading her around a busy university campus. Any dog can learn how to shake - that is nice but not even the same realm as training working behaviors.

We do find that having Dr. Benway do a few tricks always makes people less scared of him. Yes, he is scary to many guests. But roll over, jump, and speak on command are cute and unexpected from any cat, and really take the edge off the swarming, unpredictable land-shark thing he's got going on. And I'm sure he enjoys the attention. I also enjoy teaching Odin tricks, it is fun for us.

There is definitely two categories of tricks, daily obedience that needs, or should, be instilled in a dog and there are the entertainment tricks. Petey knows both, the first because they are crucial, and the latter because, well they're cute. And while they are certainly not critical, Pete and I have a great time teaching and learning them so we'll continue to do so.

Dianne, don't get aggravated by the people who continue to wonder if your dog does tricks. He does the things that helps you, and that's all that matters.

I am a fan of tricks, but would have never asked the SD of the blind girl I used to tutor to do them. It would have seemed really trite and undignified to me.

my 2 working dogs think exactly the same way. Mick would look at me if I asked him to do a cute trick with a "where's the sheep look"

I've had people ask me to make him do tricks becasue he must ba able to do them since he does so much more. Well, he doesn't. He does the good stuff like no jumping on people, sitting for a pet or staying where I say looking good for a treat. but I've never had time to teach them tricks.

Now that I've sold my sheep I've been teaching them a few tricks just for something to do. I have a whole new form of respect to trainers that do this all the time. Mine are learning but without any gusto that they show for sheep work. I was suprised at Mick the other night. I was teaching him and Dew to give me their paw. Dew thought is was stupid but did it anyways...or at least the dumb look on her face made me think that but Mick had it down with 3 trys. The cheese was good!

I like what someone said about it giving your dog and a stranger a way to coumminate a bit. Becasue they sure wouldn't listen to anyone but me for anything else and there's nothing better than that feeling you get when communicating with a nice dog.

Dianne, teach Usher to raise his leg like he's gonna pee or mark something, then when the dumb bar dudes ask, show them that trick! :rolleyes: At least you'll get a laugh!

Kristen

Jade does tricks... mostly just for reinforcement of NILIF stuff. She knows her obedience commands (sit, stay, down, doesn't jump, etc.) and she knows a lot of tricks as well (bow, cover nose, speak, roll over, play dead, etc.). Just something fun to do with her... if I was more able to work Jade with sheep as much as I would like to, she probably wouldn't know as many tricks as she does. But as it were, I'm not able to work on the herding much at this point in time. Until then, I'll continue teaching tricks just because they're fun... they're great for bonding too. I hope that Jade can learn at least half as many tricks as Dazzle :rolleyes:

I'd have very boring Freestyle routines without tricks!

There is nothing wrong with, or undignified about tricks. I go out of my way to teach them, and I am pleased when my dogs learn to perform them. Solid performance of tricks on cue is a true talent that some dogs have and others do not. Teaching them well is a skill that I hope to become better at in the future.

I'm not saying that anyone should, or is obliged to teach tricks any more than anyone is obliged to go herding or to do Agility. But I certainly have great respect for the time and training that some people dedicate to training tricks for whatever reason he or she chooses.

Of course, the training must suit the needs of the dog. You don't need tricks for your dog to perform his or her job. I do need tricks for my dog to perform his job (entertainment) well.

Methinks that the person who does not enjoy the company of drunk people should probably stay out of the bar.

RDM

:rolleyes:

My dogs don't know any tricks, 'cept maybe for "shake" or "gimme five", which my DH taught them. I'm too lazy to teach tricks.

ETA: I guess I decided I didn't want you guys to think I'm *totally* lazy. :D All my dogs are trained in basic obedience, some play agility and flyball and some are taking sheep working lessons. I just don't prefer to spend my time teaching tricks.

Maybe your response to "does he do any tricks?" should be, "Yes. He's doing one now." Then sit back and watch them try to figure out what it is! :rolleyes:

Maybe your response to "does he do any tricks?" should be, "Yes. He's doing one now." Then sit back and watch them try to figure out what it is! :rolleyes:

That's evil. And funny!

:D

No, what most people seem amazed by is that our dogs will do a simple sit stay when told.

People are astonished.

Right now, it's way too hot for much else, so we spend time at the dog park practicing stays, because Senneca still needs more practice when there are distractions around. Most people seem amazed that a dog will actually do anything on command. This is a park where dogs are supposed to be "under verbal control", yet I rarely see a dog with any sort of recall at all; the only "Sit" they know is if you hold a treat in front of their nose.

Most people seem amazed that a dog will actually do anything on command.

That's true!

We were at my parents house back in early July and we took Dean along because I was concerned about leaving him home with fireworks going off. My parents are not dog people, so Dean had his company manners going.

We were playing ball with him at one point and he got interested in something that had fallen on the ground from the table. My Dad got very agitated, so I said in a conversational tone, "Dean, leave it alone". He left it. I said, "Get your ball". He picked up the ball. I said, "Bring it". He brought it to me.

They were blown away. They said they had never met such an obedient dog. To me that was no big deal - it was just everyday stuff, but it made a real impression on them.

They enjoyed seeing his spins, backing, and his paw work, but they were most impressed, I think, when he left that thing on the ground alone on cue!

My theory when it comes to obedience, agility and tricks is that it's all tricks. The general public doesn't understand dogs very well or have the first idea how to train them. I'm not surprised that you get asked these questions about your service dog. My sports friends and I often take photos of our dogs posed together. When we meet to let the dogs play (and us yak), we usually take a photo of the whole group of 10 dogs posed for the camera. We find that what many friends, coworkers and family find most impressive about our extensively trained dogs is not the advanced obedience tasks or blazing weave poles or distance handling. It isn't being able to work stock. No, what most people seem amazed by is that our dogs will do a simple sit stay when told. I often get asked if I "photo shopped" my dogs so that they are in one picture.

My response is always, "No, I trained them."

People are astonished.

That's the same response I've had when people see photos of the dogs all lined up and sitting quietly. At obedience trials it seems like people are really amazed by the out of sight sits and downs. I've also really impressed people with how well trained my dogs are when they will kennel up in their crates in the car on the first command-Ooooo, Ahhhhh! I try not to laugh=)

Janet

Tell the next guy who asks that

"no, they told me at his kindergarten that it would drop his IQ and prevent him getting into college"

:D:rolleyes:

A read a discussion recently about an American visiting England who asked a friendly Brit dog to "shake". The owner was appalled, and so was everyone around that "you would teach a sensible dog such things".

In the discussion that followed most of the Europe/UK people admitted they don't teach tricks and aren't particularily found of doing so. Could be that Board...maybe cultural?

Anyway....the discussion came around to the American Joe Public view of dogs. Its definatly skewed. Personally I can't tell you how many people have seen dogs do a great demo on stock, or some sport demo...and the first thing they do is tell the exhibitor with great glee "my dog can shake!"

This apparently is the great equalizer. Open trials, National level agility, service work, shaking hands, balancing biscuit on nose. All the same :D:D

Most people seem amazed that a dog will actually do anything on command. This is a park where dogs are supposed to be "under verbal control", yet I rarely see a dog with any sort of recall at all; the only "Sit" they know is if you hold a treat in front of their nose.

Hence, why I avoid dog parks like the plague.

A read a discussion recently about an American visiting England who asked a friendly Brit dog to "shake". The owner was appalled, and so was everyone around that "you would teach a sensible dog such things".

I've been teaching Suka what you might call 'shake,' but the command is 'give paw,' with a touch on the leg in question - I want to be able to check her paws after walks in the park, and this seems like a nice cross between making that easy, and something I can incorporate into NILIF. But it's not a party-trick 'shake,' though some people might confuse it with that.

In the discussion that followed most of the Europe/UK people admitted they don't teach tricks and aren't particularily found of doing so. Could be that Board...maybe cultural?
What, cultural differences..?! Never! :D

This apparently is the great equalizer. Open trials, National level agility, service work, shaking hands, balancing biscuit on nose. All the same :rolleyes::D
Do tell... Thanks! Now I can make a big name for myself, go on the talk show circuit, and become fabulously wealthy with my infamous 'give paw' dog!

:D

We find that what many friends, coworkers and family find most impressive about our extensively trained dogs is not the advanced obedience tasks or blazing weave poles or distance handling. It isn't being able to work stock. No, what most people seem amazed by is that our dogs will do a simple sit stay when told.

Agreed! There is a beginner obedience class that is after my advanced class. People always come in a little earlier and when we are doing stays. People are AMAZED. They can't believe their eyes! Its crazy.

But anyway, I too LOVE teaching tricks. They are fun for me and the dog make them really think. Plus they are great for getting a dog to calm down and focus on you before an agility run. It helps me as well, since I'm concentrating on the dog and not on the many ways I may screw up a course!

I agree than any real work or obedience (done well) is more impressive than (most) tricks, but I don't understand the viewpoint that tricks are "undignified" or not worth teaching a dog. Sure, any dog can learn to "shake" and so maybe that's not very impressive to people who have truly trained dogs (though the pet home in which I recently placed a foster was thrilled to pieces that their new dog already knew this trick), but lots of tricks are just an extension of obedience and lots of obedience is not much different than teaching dog tricks--its all learning to perform behaviors on cue. My dog knows "paw" and "other one" (give the other paw). It's a fun trick, but I also find this very useful for wiping off wet paws when he comes inside. "Back up" is great for getting him out of the way when he's blocking my path. "Roll over" is useful for having him roll from one side to the other when I am brushing him. I taught "step" which means to touch something with his paw. This has evolved into shutting doors on command--which would be a service dog-type function, but since I don't need him to do it for me, it's just a trick for us. Leg weaving, backwards leg weaving, "scoot" (turn 180 degrees and back up between my legs), spin and twist . . . all of these things, in addition to being elements of our disc routine, are just plain fun to teach and show off, and since we don't have sheep to work, they are a good way to exercise my dog's mind and build our relationship . . . which in turn helps strengthen his inclination to do the "obedience stuff" like coming when called.

I am a big fan of teaching "tricks". In my opinion, it's great "quality time" for Cody and me. He loves it, he gets excited and I enjoy it too. And teaching "tricks" has been a real positive in other ways:

1. Since we constantly work with Cody due to his reactive agressive behavior with other dogs, I find that running him through some 'tricks' instead of the boring "watch me" command over and over really keeps him focused on me and on him doing the fun trick.

2. Cody's "trick" of doing figure eight's (we call it Infinity) through our legs has also taught him to be comfortable around us.

3. "Wave byebye" has helped him feel comfortable with me (or anyone) handling his paws. So important when you have to inspect for broken glass, imbedded things, etc.

4. "Right" and "Left" identification using cups has been amazingly helpful in "real life". When we're walking, when we're running, I tell him the upcoming direction I want to go and he turns that way. I don't tumble over him anymore.

5. It's FUN. It gives him a "job" to do. Since we don't have the luxury of owning sheep or working with sheep this is one of his "jobs". Maybe in the scheme of the universe it's not as important as being a Service Dog or SARS Dog but it's a great way to spend great time with him.

6. My 13-year old daughter is constantly teaching Cody new tricks. She doesn't like walking him. Feeding him. Taking care of his needs. But she loves spending time with him teaching him to do tricks. What is so bad with that? Cody gets full attention from another family member for at least 30 minutes a day. And they have fun together.

So I am venting that whatever one chooses to do with one's dog to keep him/her busy, happy, socialized, working, etc. is the right thing for that family and that dog.

My theory when it comes to obedience, agility and tricks is that it's all tricks.

I was just about to post the same thing. It's all tricks to me, too-- I'd call any of the skills I trained for agility tricks. I'd hold off on calling certain tricks useless, too. There are ways to make them so. For example, training a dog who jumps up to sit in front of someone and wave to be petted, or training a dog who rushes to the front door to back up when you touch the door.

I shape a new behavior every few days with my dogs. They mostly turn out to be silly tricks, like putting toys in a box, turning lights on and off and whatnot-- but it's fun and is not only good mental stimulation for the dogs but also good practice for when I want to train something serious.