BC Boards

This might confuse some people...

First off, my name is Deetra and I'm new here. I don't have a Border Collie yet, but after my wedding this fall I will be getting one (I can't wait!). Anyway, this might sound weird, but when I was growing up, my family had an absolutely beautiful dog. He was a collie breed, although I'm not sure exactly what kind, but he was pure bred. His face was the most beautiful face I have ever seen on any animal. There was something about his face, especially his eyes. When I look into my parents Rat Terrior's eyes, I can kind of see the same thing in him, although not as enchanting as our old collies'. When I look into the two females my parents have (a Jack Russel mix and a Yorkie), I don't see the same thing at all... So I was wondering if anyone understands at all what in the world I'm talking about and if they could tell me if that is a gender specifc quality, or a general collie quality. I've never been up close to a female collie of any sort, so I really don't know. But I absolutely love Border Collies' and I cannot wait until I finally have one of my own... sigh. If I've confused you all please let me know. Thank you. :rolleyes:

I think I know what you mean - my Maggie has such expressive eyes!

I have noticed this expressiveness most in herding breeds, but also in a few others. I don't think it's really limited by anything other than the individual dog.

My Maggie is a rescue and I wonder if that might have something to do with it as well - she's lived a lot more than her 7 years I think. I noticed the expressiveness in prob about 20% of the dogs at the shelter I volunteered at for 6 years, of those dogs most caught my eye due to it and all my really special favorites fell into that catagory as well. Most were herding breeds or mixes there as well.

My conclusion at this point is that it is the intelligence behind those eyes. The result of the adamant effort so many of these good people on this board are trying to make. In selectively breeding the dog solely for excellence in the work it is designed to perform, they have have honed its faculty to the point at which we recognize the divinity of sentience without its guile.

Many of us look into our dogs eyes and feel an otherworldy communion that we rarely find in the world of men. I've seen love in other kinds of dogs eyes, but not such a straining to understand.