BC Boards

Puppy had a Seizure Today.....I'm very Worried!

Hey. My 12 week old BC had what I could only compare to a severe seizure today. She was playing inside with my brother and I and all of sudden lost all muscle control, lost her bowels, and couldn't stop drooling. I immediately carried her to the vet and they sedated her in order to put in a catheter, take blood work, and test the fecal sample I brought with me. Has anyone ever heard of something like this happening to a dog or BC? I'm supposed to call back in an hour to find out some results (hopefully).

- There is no chance of her eating or drinking something toxic..... I'm hoping it wasn't some version of a doggy stroke....Pray for Lily.

-Jeremy

If she had been playing for a long time in the heat, then it could easily be heat stroke. Temps were in the mid-90s in NC today, so I'm guessing the weather was similar in SC. That is, she could have had a seizure, but rather than being something like epilepsy, it could have been the result of overdoing it in the heat and humidity.

J.

God, I remember the horrible fear when Popcorn started having seizures. (His are heat related- could she have gotten overheated?)

But most are treatable so keep your head up. Good luck. Keep us updated.

A friend was telling me about a genetic defect found in some red or sable BCs which means they cannot regulate their temperature like most dogs.

I wish I'd paid more attention to what she was saying.

No help - sorry.

Pam

My normal vet is closed on Wed. for surgeries. I had to carry her to the reserve vet, but she didn't have a guess right off (or at least she didnt say). They are doing blood work and fecal tests right now. Ill post when i hear, but as of right now it looks like she is staying over night :rolleyes: . I wish I was with her.....She's a daddy's girl

A friend was telling me about a genetic defect found in some red or sable BCs which means they cannot regulate their temperature like most dogs.

I wish I'd paid more attention to what she was saying.

No help - sorry.

Pam

Popcorn's siblings were red and white as well as black and white. Wonder if that also applies to him, and if it is why he has heat induced seizures?

My old boy Toby (he was a BC cross) started to have seizures when he was about 3 months as well, unfortunately with him it turned out to be epilepsy. Initially they were very infrequent maybe once every 8-10 months the vet didn't want to medicate him at that time but as he grew older they got more frequent. The seizures he had were quite violent grand mal seizures , terrible to see but fortunately once we figured out the correct dosage of medication (in his case phenobarb) he remained seizure free for the last 5 years I had him. Epilepsy is scarey if indeed that's what it turns out to be but it's usually fairly managable. I'd strongly suggest you check with the breeder/people you got the pup from to see if any of the other pups have had problems?

Not overly familiar with how puppies deal with fever or heat but in human babies a febrile seizure is not all that an uncommon event, terrifying to see but easily treatable.

My fingers and toes are all crossed for you that it turns out to be nothing too serious.... keep us posted....!

It's been 6 hours since the initial seizure and I just picked Lily up from the vet. She seems to be on the road to recovery, although a little timid/woozy from the meds. The vet really had no guess/explanation for the seizure.....I guess I'll have to keep a really close eye on her over the next few days.

NO SHOTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am not anti-vaccine, but you simply cannot assault her system right now.

Does anyone remember that episode of Emergency vets where all those Corgis came in - two younger pups, and one older, all seizing within minutes of eachother? The thought was that they had to get into something- the odds are against idiopathic epilepsy. I would be thinking along the lines of this pup having gotten into something (I might have her liver values checked), and until proven otherwise, by the pup having another seizure- go with the possibility that she got into something. Check your yard carefully. Don't have her out in the heat playing either for a while, and watch her. What was her blood sugar when she was examined?

She had her 8 week shots, 3 weeks ago and she is do for more shots tomorrow.

Shot(s) ?? Which did she get, do you know? You are not getting anymore for now are you?

Hope all was quiet through the night and that Lily is doing better!

Karen

Sorry missed your reply. Was the vaccine a multi one or do you know?

Edited by Journey

I am happy your puppy is doing better, i know it is so hard to go through this, because i went through it with my last BC. she had a very severe seizure when she was about 5 months old, and she couldn't walk anymore, and the vet said there is nothing they can do, so we had to put her down, we couldn't see her suffer more, especially when the vet said there is nothing they can do. it was very heart breaking.

Best of luck with your puppy