BC Boards

Come

Remy

Remy is 4-1/2 months old, she is a qucik learner, sit, stay, get, hand signals speak and a few others. She is also very willfull as my wife puts it, i call it stuborn. The problem i have is she does not want to "Come", she does most of the time but not consistant, i have used treats and a "Long Line" seems to help.

Is this typical of a young BC? Any suggestion would help!

thank you in advance

Darwin

I think for pups at that age, they will start testing you to see how serious you are, so I do think it rather typical of the age. But I have learned that using the word come, isnt as much fun to use or to hear for a pup as the commands That'll do or Here. Its easier to put more upbeat emphasis on those words and makes them more interesting for a pup than the word come. Ive used both over the years, and settled on those as I can use them with a more upbeat, and enticing volumes that makes the pup more interested in me and what Im saying rather than the ant its stalking across the side walk.

During this period of testing, Id reccomend never allowing the pup to ignore the command, or to use the command more than once without then, going to get the willful little pup. Along line is a good course of action as long as you are consistant in always using it, and making sure the pup understands the command.

What a cute pup! I have two twelve week old pups that Im working on recalls with. One I have to can be very willful too, so am making sure she understands that when I say "That'll do" that I mean it, and I make me having to go get her an unpleasant experience. Now, if she doesnt adhere to my call quickly, she will check me, and if she see's me take a step towards her, she's on her way. I work on this with my pups everywhere, and under all sorts of distractions, so that they understand, anytime, and anywhere I call, they need to come now. Best advise, Be consistant, and do not allow her to ignore or cheat you or test you.

You might want to post this in either the General section or the Obedience etc. section, as this "Training Discussion" is oriented towards stock-working dogs. (I get the impression that that very cute but willful pup is not necessarily a stockdog-in-training - if she is, then this might be a reasonable place to ask your question.)

Sheepdog! thank you for your reply, these little things really help!

My apology for posting this in the wrong place, I did not intend to waste your time, I’m new to this board, I will make sure the next post goes to the proper location.

You didn't waste anyone's time, but you would be more likely to get the kind of feedback and advice you want and need in the appropriate section.

Best wishes with that cute pup!