BC Boards

Agility and Herding Trialing

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

. Not only that- a dog can excel but not have a title- not everybody likes competing. I did obedience, dog excelled- but i didnt bother getting a title- didnt see a point.

With all due respect, how do you know your dog excelled in obedience if you didn't actually get out in the ring and trial him/her? My dogs(like all of them) have 'earned' backyard 200's. But that's WAY different than actually trialing your dog. JMHO~

Janet

It's nothing for a light-framed dog with a good build. I occasionally practice at 26" for Wick (19.75", 35 lbs). However, when you are talking about a 24" border collie who weighs 54lbs (and not a scrap of fat on him)

Sounds very much like Ollie - the one I mentioned that is bigger than mine. I know he weighs around 25kg - all power.

I suppose it depends what you've learnt to expect. If there is a culture where the received wisdom is that high jumps = bad then I can see where you're coming from.

Most of us over here have competed over 30in jumps with all sorts of dogs for years without any ill effects.

Recently our top jump height was reduced to 26in to conform with FCI heights and it's too low for some dogs. They go too fast and that puts more stress on the shoulders and the body when turning than a higher more rounded trajectory.

Most dogs have adjusted OK though.

Pam

I think it's very interesting how some people can do so much with the dogs they have

So true.

A good friend of mine has the talent to get the best out of everydog she has. She may not be an internationally known agility name (because she cares more about her dogs' welfare than to cart them around the world and doesn't suck up the the KC suits) but she's more than capable of whupping the pants of those who are.

Perfect dog versus what you have?

Her latest 2 BCs could be sisters in appearance and attitude. One is an accidental farm dog and cost peanuts, the younger is from a very successful sport line. (She says she was drunk when she agreed to buy her.)

The youngster is doing great and shooting up the rankings but the farm dog has the edge over her in talent.

Latest addition is a Cairn Terrier (rescue) adopted as a lapdog. She jokes about him but actually he's doing very well in agility too.

Pam

I suppose it depends what you've learnt to expect. If there is a culture where the received wisdom is that high jumps = bad then I can see where you're coming from.

I look at it as bad = dog grunting on take-off or landing whilst navigating 26" jumps. Quite frankly, the effort a dog with a height/weight ratio over 2.0 has to exert to clear a jump versus a dog with a height/weight ratio of 1.7 is quite different. Ditto the physical make-up of the dog. A long-legged dog like a lurcher probably makes 26" look like child's play. For a well-conditioned Lab or Golden Retriever, or Scotch Collie, it might not be as easy. We have myriad height choices in our venues. It's not a good/bad thing, it's what's right for *your dog*.

The higher you go the further you fall.

I wouldn't subject my dogs to ridiculous heights if they can fairly jump something lower. The second I start hearing grunting or "oofing" on landing, the bars come down. I like my dogs (except Tweed) and that's more important than playing agility with them.

My pal's greyhound had a hell of a time at agility because her stride was so big she couldn't get her down contact on things like the A-Frame, and sometimes didn't have room to gather between row jumps once she had landed. Besides, she really preferred napping on the sofa anyway.

RDM

Perfect dog versus what you have?

It's not for everyone, but there is something very satisfying about training an "unlikely" dog in Agility and eventually doing well with it.

The whole time I was training Maddie, I looked forward to the day I would have a Border Collie to run. Now that I have one - and I love training him and learning to run with him - I appreciate her so much more!

The higher you go the further you fall.

I wouldn't subject my dogs to ridiculous heights if they can fairly jump something lower. The second I start hearing grunting or "oofing" on landing, the bars come down.

If you jump off a chair, do you land with your legs straight or do you bend at the knees?

Watch the trajectory of a dog jumping low jumps - it will most likely land with outstretched front legs, sending the impact right up into the shoulders.

Compare that with the flexing that occurs on landing over higher jumps.

http://www.agilitynet.com/health/jumpingheightinagility.HTML

As for grunting - this little dog always did.

Carrie24905.jpg

Jumped 30 ins all her agility career and never knocked poles - must have been about 11 here. Retired at the age of 12 because her eyes and ears were giving out before the rest of her.

14 now and still pretty fit.

She isn't even a particularly good build for agility. Good height to weight ratio but quite short backed and poor shoulder angulation.

Pam

If you jump off a chair, do you land with your legs straight or do you bend at the knees?

I'm 35 years old dear. If I am ever standing on a chair for any reason and I need to get down, I do it carefully!

When Tweed was jumping 22" he had a reoccurring lameness problem and was often landing on his face, not to mention the many dropped bars. Now that he's down to 16" he is running beautifully, he lands soundlessly and the bars are staying up.

*shrug* Jump your dog at whatever height you like. I still jump Piper at 22" because she seems to do it easily. But as soon as she looks like she is having an issue, she's coming down too. That's WHY we are given the option of dropping heights.

RDM

I think i will be better about wording things- people here take excelling to a different meaning. I think excelling is doing well at something- not average- but well. Like i can excel at my job, but never win a prize, or even acknowlegement- but i can excel.

But "excel" means far more than doing well - being better than average.

It means being right at the top of the tree.

After all "excellent" doesn't just mean "pretty good".

That's why everyone has answered on the basis that we are talking about getting right to the top in both herding and agility - a misunderstanding justified by the OP's stated desire to make the World team.

Pam

Jump your dog at whatever height you like.

We don't have a choice thank goodness. Shows would be even more of a nightmare to run. Going to quite a small one this weekend - only 6 rings, probably around 400 runs in each. 18 rings at the next one.

If you have a choice, just make sure it's based on evidence rather than what seems on the face of it to be common sense. I don't think it makes much difference unless you have a fast dog, though.

Don't suppose you checked the link I gave or the research on which it was based?

(I wish I could remember 35.)

Pam

If you have a choice, just make sure it's based on evidence rather than what seems on the face of it to be common sense. I don't think it makes much difference unless you have a fast dog, though.

My dog is 8 years old.

Why on earth do you think I should push her to jump higher than the height at which she is obviously jumping comfortably and naturally?

What evidence do you think I should consider that would be compelling enough to cast common sense aside and ignore my sense of what is best for the long term health of my 8 year old dog?