BC Boards

Dog Walk

Guest SweetJordan

Guest SweetJordan

My dog walk sits outside from spring until the end of fall or just before the first snow fall. It's always been fine sitting out there, but now something is eating it. :rolleyes: Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm thinking that maybe covering it with a tarp when we aren't using it would work, but short of that I don't see what else I could do.

Hi!

What I use as a dog walk I bought second-hand and is made of wood with chickenwire over it and painted. It is left out all year and gets repainted (striped down, dried, the wire checked/replaced, dampened with insecticide, dried and repainted with undercoat and two coats of weatherproof paint) every year. The center beam is supported by two small (4'Hx3'Wx3'D) storage units which also get treated/painted a the same time. Having a big back yard I do not have to move it (the central plank) but do move the ramps so my girl has to approach the central plank from different directions. I would suggest you find out what is eating it, treat that, and paint it with at least two layers of weatherproof paint.

Peace

Guest SweetJordan
Hi!

What I use as a dog walk I bought second-hand and is made of wood with chickenwire over it and painted. It is left out all year and gets repainted (striped down, dried, the wire checked/replaced, dampened with insecticide, dried and repainted with undercoat and two coats of weatherproof paint) every year. The center beam is supported by two small (4'Hx3'Wx3'D) storage units which also get treated/painted a the same time. Having a big back yard I do not have to move it (the central plank) but do move the ramps so my girl has to approach the central plank from different directions. I would suggest you find out what is eating it, treat that, and paint it with at least two layers of weatherproof paint.

Peace

I can tell you that it's not insects that are eating it. It's got to be either a rabbit or squirrel.

I've never heard of a dog walk having chicken wire on it. Though chicken wire might deter the chewer.

Hi!

The main center board is attached to the storage units (which are ideal for storing outside toys and treats) and the three ramps have hooks on them that allow me to connect them to the main board in a lot of different styles. It was designed and built not by an agility trainer but by a farmer who had dogs that worked at stock sales and that often worked above the stock. He had two other storage units that he mainly used but they were 6' high but 4' is just right for up as I am just on 5'. The fact that I cannot easily move it is fine by me as I have a large enough back yard to it.

The chickenwire is slightly hammered into the wood and has three coats of paint (one undercoat and two weatherproof coats) which means it is not hard on her pads. Once a month I check to wire by wiping it with a cloth - if it gets snagged or does not wipe easily I check the wire and hammer-n-coat it till it is smooth. This coming summer I will add an extra layer of paint - deck matt varnish as I have been told that it is good weather

By being able to move the ramps I can crate different layouts - like an M or K type - which gives her variety and also mental stimulation as she has to figure out the route.

PEACE

I can tell you that it's not insects that are eating it. It's got to be either a rabbit or squirrel.

I've never heard of a dog walk having chicken wire on it. Though chicken wire might deter the chewer.

Here is your problem.

beaver.jpg