BC Boards

Staring Contest?

Yesterday I noticed something I had not seen before between my two BCs. Now Zak has this thing where he creeps from down the hall at Koda and then it ends up in a chase and burst of play. However, yesterday I noticed Koda in the creep stance staring back. They both must have stood there frozen for at least a full minute or better as I watched wondering if it was going to end in a scrap or play....not to mention how much longer this could possibly last!

This morning it happened again and they stood frozen in the creep stance for at least another minute - it seemed like FOREVER. Both times Koda bolted off in the opposite direction and Zakky followed plowing as he normally does. Koda ends up taking a shoulder dive into the ground and fending Zakky off from below.

Its probably the oddest thing I have seen out of these two goofballs yet and I have never had this happen with any of the BCs I have had before. I have seen them crouch at each other separately but never a contest! Anyone else have their dogs do this?

I have my camera sitting here at the computer desk hoping it will happen again :rolleyes:

Ryan

My two boys do it all the time. Usually one will start staring at the other (stalking him to intice play), then when the "staree" notices he's being stared at, he'll stare back. They'll do that until one breaks off in a run, and then it's game on!

The lab mix is less subtle, of course. If she wants to play, she just launches herself at the unsuspecting victim. :rolleyes:

Yesterday I noticed something I had not seen before between my two BCs. Now Zak has this thing where he creeps from down the hall at Koda and then it ends up in a chase and burst of play. However, yesterday I noticed Koda in the creep stance staring back. They both must have stood there frozen for at least a full minute or better as I watched wondering if it was going to end in a scrap or play....not to mention how much longer this could possibly last!

This morning it happened again and they stood frozen in the creep stance for at least another minute - it seemed like FOREVER. Both times Koda bolted off in the opposite direction and Zakky followed plowing as he normally does. Koda ends up taking a shoulder dive into the ground and fending Zakky off from below.

Its probably the oddest thing I have seen out of these two goofballs yet and I have never had this happen with any of the BCs I have had before. I have seen them crouch at each other separately but never a contest! Anyone else have their dogs do this?

I have my camera sitting here at the computer desk hoping it will happen again :rolleyes:

Ryan

Hi Ryan,

My youngest BC and our pit bull do this....It's really funny to watch=) It usually starts when they are across the yard from one another, staring and slowly walking towards one another, then the pit will take off running with the bc in hot persuit! The pit LOVES to be chased and the bc is happy to oblige-LOL! Silly dogs=)

Janet

My dog doesn't love all dogs. If someone bounds at him, fast and goofy, he'll typically snarl to drive them off. If the other dog approaches stiffly and seriously, it's very tense. But! If the other dog sees him from 20 yards, freezes, and the two of them have a one-minute (or two-minute, or three-minute) stare-down, then it's yippee hi yay, let's go play! For whatever reason, that distant staring stand-still thing is a gigantic, immediate friendship sign to Buddy. I think the conversation goes something like this:

"Hey... Look! I'm not going to invade your space."

"Me, neither."

"But wouldn't it be so cool if you came and chased me around in big circles?!"

"Yeah, that would be so wicked much fun."

"When should we suddenly move?"

"Wait a minute... It's gotta be just the right time..."

"How about now?"

"Not yet."

"OK. Let's stare for another minute."

"Now?"

"Um... not yet... Wait for it... Wait for it..."

"Now?"

"NOW! Heeeeeeeeeeeheeeheeeeheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!"

"CHASE ME CHASE ME CHASE ME!"

Mary

Allie and I do this (can't have a second dog right now). She seems to enjoy it immensely. Other dog owners we meet on walks seem to not like this, so I discourage her from trying this on strange dogs.

Mine do this daily. Usually, Charlie will stand in one room and Skittles will stand in the room across the hall and they will stare until one makes a mad dash for the other. It's usually Skittles who breaks first. Skittles also stares/stalks my friend's yellow lab (arch nemesis) at the beach all the time. But in that staring competition, it's the yellow lab who almost always breaks first.

:D Mine do this quite often. I call it 'the Mexican standoff'. Mind you, it can be a pain when they do it (like they did the other day) when you've taken them out to have a quick run in the park at lunch time - limited time frame, and they spend a few minutes completely stationary :rolleyes: /

We've been playing this game with Ouzo since he was 3-4 months old.

The first time I posted this video of him as a pup playing the stare, walk, pounce game, I remember someone commented that they think it's a very rude behaviour and they wouldn't imagine allowing their dog to do such unthinkable! To that, I say: "Pbbbbblwwwwwwbbbbbbbbpppppppp!" :rolleyes:

th_3defac65.jpg

We often have three dog with us in our Jeep. It is common to stop at a traffic light and the dogs will all stare at the car next to us. They will not stop staring until the car moves. Some people get a kick out of it and others appear to be a little nervous. We think it is quite funny, I would love to get a picture of it.