BC Boards

Astra Border Collies

Going back to the OP - compare this with Astra's web site -

http://www.mydogs.co.uk/aboutus.html

(I'm not in any way suggesting importing a dog at all.)

Please ignore the unfortunate recent sport mating of one of the dogs. I do hope they resist the temptation to go down that line.

The dogs could end up doing all sorts of activities and plenty do agility at various levels but the emphasis of the site is on working ability and breeding for that. No fancy colours.

Referring to the Agility/Herding thread, the breeder does do agility and flyball with some of their working dogs, but not to top level. It's a hobby.

Please don't pick holes in the detail of the information. I don't claim to be a judge of trialling quality or breeding working lines. However, if I were (see that flying pig?) looking to buy an agility dog from working lines, I'd be more interested in following up something like this than the Astra site.

Probably be even better going by word of mouth and getting one from someone who doesn't need a web site, I suppose but in fairness, this breeder does have another online business to promote as well.

Pam

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a dog who is Astra lines - both parents bred by Astra.

He is shaping up to be a good herding dog despite his novice handler. His working style is definitely more suited to a large paddock not an arena, though despite this he has competed in 4 arena trials for 2 high in trial and one reserve high in trial. He is very high drive but biddable. I have started him at agility for fun and he is not going to be a good agility dog as he simply doesn't enjoy it as much as sheep work.

Would I buy another from the same lines - probably not unless the breeding was what I wanted.