BC Boards

lost bordercollie

so I'm here in CO looking for a place to live. My dogs are between St. Louis and Ft. Smith AR.

Raven my 9 year old fearfull/shy dog went missing from my daughters house yesterday afternoon. The wierd thing is after walking around calling her all afternoon a neighbor came out and asked if she was looking for her dog (DUH) my daughter said yes and the neighbor said that was strange becasue she saw the dog right before Chelsea (daughter) came out and Raven slippid off behind a corner. So it looks like she's not lost but hiding. Raven is very shy. She was raised in a kennel till she was 10 months old with no socialization. the man that owed her just threw the food in her kennel. She took 3 months to even let me pet her. BUt in her old age I've had people say how freindly she has become. Some can't even believe it's the same dog. I think she does not like my grandson, he's 1 1/2 and you know how that can go. But Chelsea said she was smiling and warming up to everyone right before she took off. said that was why she let her off lead in the first place.

I'm not due home till Sat. I only hope she can make in with no food till then. there is food out for her but she hasn't touched it. I've had my other daughter come over with her dog and walk the neighborhood but no luck. I had my friend who's keeping Jazz, one of my other dogs go over and walk the neighborhood. Jazz and Raven are like old sisters. they kiss each morning when they wake up. They are very bonded. No luck.

She is putting posters out but the pic I could send from here is not to good. She's called and emailed a pic to the local shelter and animal control. I really don't think Ray has been picked up as she's a sneaky devil and won't be caught if she doesn't want to.

She is my only dog that's not chipped but has a collar with my info on it. I'm having my real-estate agent check my phone messages at home each day. This is a hard lesson learned. Put your cell number on thier collar and even if you think your dog won't run, get them chipped anyway.

If anyone has any ideas, please speak up. I'm just heartsick. Unfortunatly I can't get an earlier flight home (free tickets, and no extra money) so I'm stuck here till Sat.

Please send all your mojo to Raven in St. Louis tell her it's ok to go to her human sisters house and I'll be home soon.

Thanks

Kristen

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It sounds like you've taken a lot of positive steps towards bringing Raven home. Alerting the shelters/animal control and having Jazz go on walks to possibly lure Raven out are both great ideas.

I don't have any added advice, just sending lots of good mojo your way. Please keep us updated!

Please send all your mojo to Raven in St. Louis tell her it's ok to go to her human sisters house and I'll be home soon.

Thanks

Kristen

Oh no - I am so sorry you are going through this - I know you must feel absolutely sick.

Lots of BC Mojo coming from Maryland...Stay positive - Like you said, if she's naturally shy anyway and her mom is out of town, she is probably hiding not lost.

She'll be fine - I just know it ;-)

I'm so sorry--you must be sick with worry.

Is there a coat or clothing that smells like you that can be put out by the food? Does she have a favorite squeaky toy that might lure her? It sounds like that you are covering all bases...and I would for sure knock on all neighbor doors and let them know to be on the lookout for her and give them contact info in case they spot her.

Sending good thoughts your way.

Charlene

Oh how awful to be so far away and have your dog lost. I'm sure you are worried sick. I think you have done all the positive things you can do. I'm glad I had my cell phone tattooed on Usher's thigh. Sending lots of mojo from Idaho. Let us know!!!!

mojo from Canada...I know how this feels. When Brandy was 13 she left my dad's place and was missing for 36 hours. She had travelled 17 km!! but we did find her. It was weird because she loved my dad. I hope you find Raven safe and sound waiting for you!

I am so sorry to hear about Raven... Hope your sweet dog makes it to home sweet home (your daughter's place). You're in all our thoughts/prayers that she will be home very, very soon! You must be so worried, heartsick about the disappearance. I think Raven just wasn't as familiar with her new environment and that hopefully her shyness will make her decide to wait/stay in one place right by your daughter's home until you return. Hopefully, hopefully, like Bailey 44 suggested, your daughter may have an item of yours that Raven would recognize that could be placed by the food. Keep hope, faith, we are sending tons of our mojos for you!

This is my worst fear. I know this horrible feeling. Please have everyone you can get on the phone to shelters, the police, anyone who can help, put up posters and see if you can find as many people as possible to get out there and look everywhere. Can you put together a large group of people to help. Check the local area and as far as you can. If she is hiding she will do a very good job. I like the idea of recording your voice. I am going to do that very thing today. In fact I am going to provide authorities with the dogs pictures and information, I am going to have them chipped and new tags. My best dog listens to no one but me, he does not even respond to my wife. If I leave without him he will try to get to me. I love how attached he is but I can never let him out of my sight. He cannot be outside alone with my wife, he will come looking for me. He is prone to wondering off and she cannot get him back. Is there a chance Raven has gone to look for you at your house or anywhere you normally go. I feel so badly, I pray Raven gets back to you, I wish I could come and help you.

I've always been worried about this my self. Daisy is also shy. We've come to the conclusion that she would just hide, so this is our pre-planned course of action, god forbid it ever happens;

-Go door to door in the entire neighbourhood, not just the block, with a picture and her info.

-Post pictures with her info (all her tag #s) offer reward - note that she is shy and loves hotdogs

-Call the vet and let them know (this won't help you I'm sure)

-Call animal control & Humane Society and give them pictures

-Place an ad on our local cable chanel with her photo

I think you are already doing most of this, so I will keep my fingers crossed that she shows up safe and sound. Keeping food out is a good idea, and someone mentioned something with your scent. I know that may be difficult to do since you are not where she was lost, but it could help.....

My thoughts are with you!

Thanks guys

It must be working some. My daughter saw her last night around 1am. She ran out to call her and Ray ran the other way. So I konw she's still in the area.

She has food and water out at the end of her driveway. But as of the last time I talked to her Ray has not eaten any of the food. They were going to put hogdogs in the bowl last night. I'm a bit worried that other stray dogs will start coming around to eat what they set out for her. But they are at least trying.

There are posters out, my friend with the my other dog (Jazz, Ray's best dog friend) canvesed the whole area last night, went door to door. Jazz took the lead and lead her to a creek close by but no luck. I'm pretty sure Ray is going to stay in hiding till I get back there, I just pray that she doesn't try to make it home. We lived close to there about 2.5 years ago. My cousin bought my old house so I've called them and they are keeping a look out for her. Otherwise Ray would have to travel 365 miles to get home to AR. St. Louis people have contacted all the shelters around the area and animal control but I'm sure she's not there since Chelsea saw her late last night. They are all still working on it.

My other daughter is going to go back over tonight when it's quiet and try again.

Everybody has been so wonderful, makes me cry thinking how loved we are. Crying is pretty easy at the moment. Not good for looking at housing but that's the deal so I'll manage.

Thanks again for all the thoughts and mojo. I feel better that my daughter at least saw her last night. Please keep the mojo going.

Kristen

Kristen,

May I make a suggestion, tell you daughter not to call her, when she sees her just hang out, don't walk toward her, see if she will come to her on her own or atleast stop running away. If she will stay put, then try to walk a little toward her, if she starts to retreat, have her step back and see if she will be drawn in back to your daughter. I have a little female that was like that, the more you called the further she ran. It sounds like she wants to stay close, but calling her is blowing her out.

Deb

I am very glad to hear she was seen last night, lets hope she stays in the area. I agree with Debbie, do not try to call her or move quickly toward her or generate any excitement. If she is seen again try to determine where she is going. Perhaps you suspect a place she may be hiding. If you can locate her hiding spot grab a blanket and a handful of hot dogs, sit down some distance from her and wait her out. I would have somebody stay at the spot at all times. Also try to determine if she has another escape route. Perhaps some very gentle talk will bring her out and if someone is there with her all the time she may start to feel secure. About a thousand things are going through my head but my instinct is to locate where she is hiding and never take my eyes off that spot.

I hope the next few days go by really quickly so you can get home! There is nothing worse than feeling helpless. But you have been doing all the right stuff from afar ... the smelly clothing idea makes sense to me as well.

We're all hoping she comes home soon -- I'm sure she's just waiting nearby for your familiar face.

Best wishes from us,

Ailsa

update...

She was spotted by the neighbor this morning in a fenced in area (of course with lots of holes) so I assume that's where she's hiding out. Yes the idea of calling her or going after her is not helping but my poor daughter is just sick with worry (as am I but I'm not letting her in on just how upset I am) I've told her to just hang out on her deck with lots of hotdogs...maybe even BBQ some so the smell is really tempting. She's not a dog girl so it's hard for her to understand why Raven is slipping past when she calls or tries to catch her.

Yesterday the other daughter went in the enclosed area and looked under everything but there is a creek right next to the spot so I'm sure she just slips in and out as she pleases.

I now know I can't afford to change my plane tickets (my younger son is with me so what ever I do is x's2 so I will keep sending her messages though the clouds to hang on I'm coming.

Ya know...I always hurt for people who lose their dogs or they go missing. I say a prayer and hope for things to work out. I've never been in this position, it gives a whole new meaning to me.

The love that is pouring out of St. Louis makes me just sit back and cry. I don't know if I'm crying cause I'm upset or so impressed with people going out of their way for Raven and me. Probably both. It comes in waves. Knowing I can't get to her is the worst. I've never been this far away from my dogs.

On a good note, Dew amd Mick say if I don't come home barring gifts of ice-cream and hotdogs, I can just leave them at their favorite new Aunt and Uncles in AR.

Jazz has lost a pound or 2 (she's what I call a fluffy dog, not fat;) walking with my friend looking for her sister. I'm sure she'll be glad to get home too. She's gonna want hotdogs for all her help.

Keep sending thoughts of hotdogs and staying where she is for us. I'm hurrying as fasts as the plane will fly. To bad it's not till Sat. Morning. My parents will be waiting for me at the airport with my shepherds whistle so I can call Raven home as soon as I get there.

Thanks again and I'll keep you posted

Kristen

ps. my son and I went to the local shelter and loved on the cats and dogs there, just so I could smell them. It felt bitter sweet. None smelled like Raven but sharing some love was the best medicine I could get besides getting my RayRay back.

Kristen, I am so sorry to hear that your girl is missing. Glad though that it sounds as if she's stickin close to home. If your girls will set up a routine for her over the next couple of days, she will be more likely to continue to hang around, as she will know she has some thing to look forward to. IE. HOTDOGS !! Good luck and God Speed getting back home and geting her caught. I lost one of mine the other day, it was only for a couple of hours, but I still understand your anguish. Keep us posted, and I'll be thinkin bout ya!