BC Boards

How hot is too hot???

Are you just doing one run? Or doing an hour training class?

I guess the better question would be, do you have the means to cool your dog down and keep your dog cool? Ie, hose dog off, kiddie pool, fans, etc.

While I haven't had this situation yet... I would provided I had the means to cool my dog properly.

If there is no way of cooling down the dog, no way allow them to run in this heat.

AK Dog Doc would probably agree???!!!!

I would not run or even exercise for more than about 10 minutes at a time and then only if I had a means to cool him down...pool, hose or AC.

NO! If your dog is used to the heat, ie he stays in a kennel outside, you could work him a little. I do know some dogs can work in high heat. Mine isn't one that could! Even in an A/C house, a few minutes of chasing a toy will get him panting! So, in answer, no, I wouldn't work mine. Just remember heat/stroke/exhaustion can be deadly. So, you will be a better judge on what your dog can handle. Is there a reason you can't wait till it's cooler, like early morning or late evening?

Only reason that I can't move this class later is that we have another class starting at 7:45....so there is no time to move the class too.

Would anyone worry about their dog's feet being wet while running a course if we were able to get a kiddy pool for the dog to cool down in?

Personally, I would not run my dogs, even if there was a place to cool down. I wouldn't take the risk of heat exhaustion etc. Besides, you also need to consider the handlers as well who might not be in any shape either to deal with that kind of heat.

I routinely run with my dog at temperatures in excess of 95 degrees.

I will never look at the temperature on the thermometer to tell you it is too hot to run. I watch the dog, how she is doing her actions, and feel her temperature on her lips and mouth. I watch this constantly. I have had days where it was less than 90 and she just didn't seem right. At that point... I call it off and go home.

I also will not go anywhere without a place that I can easily cool her down. Temperature is not the best gauge. Is there shade, a cooler breeze, etc, in the location? Lots of factors make a difference between a 95 day along a spring fed river and 95 on hot tarmac with no relief.

Safety of the dog is more important than class. You need to take into account the types of dogs in class. My dog would be fine but we have flyball tourney this weekend so I won't take the chance taking him to his beginner agility class (makeup tonight) and won't go on Wed if the temps are still like this.

If the dogs in class are not in shape then cancelling would probably be best. They are likely to over heat a lot faster. You also have to think about whether the people are dog savvy about such things and if they will give their dog the break it needs. Some folks like to keep pushing which I have seen too many times whether it is 70 degrees or 90 degrees.

I personally will not take the chance with my dog since in the past I had a dog who overheated once and from then on, she was not tolerant of heat and we had to be extra careful.

So, no way to cool off the dogs....

Yep, that's just how my agility classes go in the summer. They are cancelled. The courses are in 8 week increments and they just push forward as classes are cancelled. Thus making the start date for the next session a variable.

I think around 90 degrees is the cutoff point of our classes... which is HOT for Pac NW dogs.

I suppose that it depends on what type of temps. your dogs are used to. Today here in VA for instance, the heat index is soaring to 106! No freakin way I would allow my dogs to run in that kind of heat. I dont even take mine out with me (on car rides) in temps like this. But if you live some place like AZ, and deal with these types of temps all the time, then I guess that your dogs could be more accustomed. Still though, they need a way to cool down. Bring some tubs and fill them up with water if you absolutely have to go through with the class. JMO. . .

Here in SE Pa we had a heat index of of 105. NO WAY I will run my dogs in that temp. First my aussie doesnt handle heat well and second my female border will go until she drops heat or no heat. With no way of cooling them down I would forgo the training. I normally lay off July and Aug for trialing and minimilize training. They need the down time to be dogs anyway.

I have a limit of 90F as the maximum temp where I will let my dog stay outside. He is not exercising; he is just sitting in the shade. He can handle that heat for a short while, but he is panting a lot to try to cool down. But with the humidity, the panting doesn't work well.

I have been doing my exercise bicycling every day in 90F temps. I drink water constantly and that allows me to handle it. But I don't think dogs can handle it very well and it can't be much fun for them. At least I am making the choice myself when I exercise in 90F weather.

Side note: just lost electric power. My computer, modem, and router are all staying up thanks to a battery UPS. That is a good device to have around here. Recently we have had power drop regularly due to summer thunderstorms.