BC Boards

Evil Plan comes to fruition - Film at 11

PS- re her name, nothing is a secret when you have access to Google :rolleyes:
I suppose not.

But, then one of my sisters named her horse P.I.T.A. Oh, I don't suppose that was the horse's real name, but no one ever called her anything else that I heard. A family friend named her dog "Puppy." Down the street, there's a dog named Deeohgee (Dee Oh Gee). Suka keeps her name - It's unique, it's what she knows, and its easy to call. Besides, my sense of humor runs that way anyway.

Congrats on your new friend! So, do we have to google it, or are ya going to tell us what her name means? Inquiring minds and all.....

Thank you Julie, I reckon thats just about cured me for even thinking I want to know about the Russian translation! :D

I did however once know a dog named Pinocha (sp?):rolleyes:

I think it was all a plot involving AKDD and your wife - your wife really wanted Suka and to get the house cleaned. You fell for it lock, stock, and barrel. It was, however, just a matter of time - you've been with MABCR and playing with fire for too long to not get burned.

Females united will get their way - resistance is futile!

Very best wishes!

I think it was all a plot involving AKDD and your wife - your wife really wanted Suka and to get the house cleaned. You fell for it lock, stock, and barrel.

Hah! As may be... I'm getting well-paid for it, though!

It was, however, just a matter of time - you've been with MABCR and playing with fire for too long to not get burned.

Point. :D

Females united will get their way - resistance is futile!

Words of wisdom, indeed! :rolleyes:

Truthfully, as happy as I am to be adding Suka to my household, I'm really made all warm and fuzzy by how happy everyone is for me. All the love is wonderful - thanks, people!

:D

I just reread the posts about her name. Maybe I missed something the first time through but I was thinking it was pronounced "Sooka" and was some sort of Inuit-sounding kind of name, all authentic Native Alaskan and all that, with a really cool meaning. Please don't burst my bubble and make it what I think folks are saying it is.

Ahhh, yes, my nefarious plot has come to fruition! BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! ::waggles eyebrows, twirls imaginary Snidely Whiplash moutsache:: Truthfully, it can't ALL be blamed on me.... Tranq has dog lust. I've seen it. It was only a matter of time.

Suka (indeed pronounced "Sooka" - that would be like "Sue-ka" not like "took") is (and I do hate to burst any bubbles) actually named accidentally after a Sibe belonging to my nurse Jill. As she came into my hands, her name was Sukie, which I think is a cute name for a Shih Tzu or a Lhasa, but NOT for a BC. And I just couldn't make myself say it. I kept accidentally calling her Suka (from knowing Jill's dog) and Jill didn't mind me copycatting (copy-dogging?) one of her dogs' names, plus Suka comes to it readily, so there we are. It didn't occur to me to ask Jill what "Suka" meant, but I will. I thought about calling her "Sitka" (a good Alaskan name), but she seems to like Suka, so there she stays... unless Tranq et al want to change it. Meanwhile.... Uh, Suka is an obscure word of a little-known Yupik dialect which means "sweet bird of the snow" and is sometimes used to indicate the color of ptarmigan when they are in the middle of their molt from the russety browns of summer to the white of winter. Yeah. That's the ticket. (Yes, I AM a member of the PLO... Pathological Liars OOOoooononymous.) :rolleyes: Or, it could be some derivative of Susitna, which is the name of a mountain and a river and all kinds of other things up here. It could be SU from SUsitna, and KA from MatanusKA, another native place name (Suka's earliest known history having sourced from the Matanuska-Susitna borough.) See? We can make it all KINDS of Alaskan!

I suspect Suka is a BC/Sheltie cross or else a BC/Sammy cross, but it's a guess. Short of DNA testing, there's no telling; she could be all BC for all I know. Her early history is unknown, having come to the prior owner from the pound. She was a patient of mine several years ago, at which time there was a chance her (divorcing) owners might need to place her. At the time, I had 2 fewer dogs than I have now, and I told them that I'd consider taking her if they couldn't work it out (although as she had a little boy at home who is mad for her, I didn't want to break that up - and they did work it out that time.) Several years later and a re-marriage/newly pregnant new wife down the road, the owner was again facing a problem with keeping her. He hated to do it - he kept saying that she was the best dog he'd ever had - but the little boy had moved to CA with the first wife, and with a new baby on the way, and the man being a trucker and not home all the time to help with the baby and the dog, Suka didn't have anywhere to land. So I bailed her out temporarily, and Tranq and family are going to see if she'll work out for them long-term. But we should all give Tranq a BIIIG pat on the back, because I struck out on finding other homes up here. So he bailed her out even more than I did... I'm just his long-distance minion.

(See? It really ISN'T my fault.... Entirely.) :D

She's a sweet dog, extremely affectionate, and generally gets on fine with other dogs - but there are just too many dogs here right now, and I personally think that as much as she loves to snuggle, she would be best in a single dog household. It does my heart good to know how excited Tranq and all the Mrs/mini-Tranqs are about her. She deserves a home where they're excited about her and can make her the center of the dog-attention (and here, even if I was NOT over the borough limit on dogs, she would have to share.)

I love it when a plan comes together! :D

Your world will never be the same again...
Ain't that a fact!

Sue, I'll cut to the chase:

'Suka' is the Russian word for Bitch. It's not actually commonly used in its original context, but is more often used as an agressively derogitory word for people. Only my sister could accidentally name a dog with the correctly descriptive word/name, in an area where Russian-language names are entirely appropriate. Anyway, I find the name charming, and it suits my sense of humor - kinda like John Wayne calling his dog "Dog" in that one movie. In fact, I kept catching myself almost calling my transportee today "Suka," which is silly - her name is Marly (update in Rescue Adventures thread, shortly).

Of course, only my sister could also successfully execute BC-ownership judo across some 4300 miles, either. Oh, she say's it's my doing, and that's true... Just as a successful judo throw is the victim's fault, using the victim's energy and motion. She merely put the leverage at the right spot, and wham!, here I am, wondering what hit me.

:rolleyes:

My wife, who has professed at reluctance, called me today... Out of the blue, she's asking me what size basket she should be buying for Suka's bed.

:D

Sue R is now shown to be a prophet! Who knew? :rolleyes:

Suka looks very much like my sister's BC (cross?) Canadian resuce dog. At somewhere between 14 and older-than-dirt, Brandy is stone deaf, but still pushy, cantankerous, and full of it.

I think you're in for it :rolleyes:

What is it "they" (we?) say about BC's? They're like potato chips- you can't have just one!

Uh, Suka is an obscure word of a little-known Yupik dialect...

Hey, AK Dog Doc...

I know you were kidding here, but where are you located? I lived in St. Mary's (Yup'ik village) on the Andreafsky River for a couple years. Rarely run into the work "Yup'ik" in everyday life here in Massachusetts. Do you get out to the YK Delta often?

Piura!

Mary

Ah, but I *don't* have just one - I've got all the dogs at the Farm, plus Suka, once she arrives!

mbc1963, She's in Wasilla. Those of us who love sled dogs use that word every now and again, along with Tlingit, Athabascan, and Inuit, among others.

Suka's on her way!

AK dog doc has taken her to the airport, and she'll be coming in, in about 16 hours... A long day for a little dog, and no doubt she's very worried right now, but she'll have the rest of her life to settle in and make a home when she gets here.

I can hardly wait!

Suka's on her way!

AK dog doc has taken her to the airport, and she'll be coming in, in about 16 hours... A long day for a little dog, and no doubt she's very worried right now, but she'll have the rest of her life to settle in and make a home when she gets here.

I can hardly wait!

Woo Hoo...I can hardly wait either!!