BC Boards

disposing of dog waste

Sorry for the yucky topic, but in the heat of summer I was wondering what everyone used. We scoop, bag and put in our garbage can outside. Unfortunately, with the heat, it tends to smell and attract tons of flies until garbage day. Does anyone do something different that is better?

I'm not sure this is much better, but I definitely know what you're worried about. To avoid the smell build-up and flies, I don't put the bags into the trash can until trash day. I actually hang them from a branch near the trash cans. (Not visible to anyone who might be bothered by the sight.) The air circulates around, dilutes the smell, and lets things dry out a bit, as it were.

Of course, it's even better when Buddy poops before we get to a public trash can on our walks. It's so thoughtless of him to wait for the close road home.

Mary

One trick done by some people is to first place the droppings in a paper sack, put the sack on the porch of your least favorite neighbor, light the bag on fire, ring the doorbell and then run. :D

I'm sorry, I couldn't resist.

I see you knew my dad! :rolleyes:

Although I usually just dump it in a pile where it composts, whenever I need "fill" for the holes that sometimes appear in my yard I"ll use it to partly fill the holes and then rake the soil back over the top and pack it.

Something I"ve never used for the dogs but I do use for the livestock (poultry, and in the horse sheds) is a product called Stall Dry. Another one is Stable Boy. They're designed to neutralize odors and have a drying effect. If you use one garbage can just for dog waste (loose, not each poop bagged), you could sprinkle some of that into the can and it would help. It's available to many farm supply stores. I find the Stall Dry also has a nice fresh odor. It makes a big difference in the horse sheds, helping to absorb urine and cut the smells and flies way down.

One trick done by some people is to first place the droppings in a paper sack, put the sack on the porch of your least favorite neighbor, light the bag on fire, ring the doorbell and then run. :D

Oh, good grief. The temptation . . . :rolleyes::D:D

I just scoop & throw into the flower beds around my yard. That is when I scoop...most of the time it just gets mowed over and mulched into the grass. Makes for good fertilizer IMO and its free. But my yard grows so fast that I usually have to mow at least twice a week so there really isn't much time for it to accumulate in the yard. What the mower doesn't get the rain usually washes down. Then on the other hand my dogs usually have a "favorite" spot to go so I pretty much know which areas to stay clear of bare foot. :rolleyes:

Definitely one of the good things about raw fed dogs :D :D :D

Ditto. If you start feeding raw you could just wait 3 days till the poo turns to a white powder and blows away.

That's what I do. :rolleyes:

Lucky me, my dogs poop doesn't stink! Well, up intil yesterday, Jonah took a dump and PU!

Anyway, I just keep raking the poop into a pile. Dries out pretty quickly. As I mentioned, the poop hasn't really smelt before, and what ever odor there was is gone the next day after sitting in the sun with 100 degree temps.

Oh besides, with all the fires we've been having the poop gets that smoked flavor -- yumm!