BC Boards

My bored collie

I am not an all positive trainer. I use a pinch collar and do give corrections. I consider myself middle of the road type of trainer, but am always still trying to learn.

The two best obedience trainers I know use both positive and corrections. They are also give 150% attention to the dog when they train and make things incredibly interesting and exciting for him. Not to mention they're also incredibly talented and skilled. The woman I was training with made obedience unbelievably fun for the dog but she also really made the dog think and work. I was amazed at how much she could demand from my Lhasa who not only didn't revolt on her but ate it up with a spoon.

As an aside, she had me using collar pops with a flat collar for the Lhasa and a pinch for Quinn but they were light, motivating pops, never for correction. In fact, I had to be careful how I used the pinch with Quinn because he quickly went over the top in excitement and wanting to play from those pops.

As far as Usher anticipating the stop, I'd make a game out of halt doesn't mean halt until I come to a stop. Dogs easily get caught up in a happy "ha, ha! gotcha!" type approach to working through a problem. That might even make him more interested in heeling which can be very boring for many teams.

Thanks Liz-

I'm trying to keep him excited. I always use my happy squeaky voice. The neighbors must think I'm nuts- LOL. I really do appreciate all the input. This has turned out to be a great learning tool for me with ALL of your answers!!

He knows what's expected. He is simply bored.

Another thing to keep in mind is that you need to keep him guessing. It's important is to make him KNOW that a treat is coming, but he doesn't know when. Try giving him treats at scattered times and in different places. For example, try doing a few commands before giving him a big treat, rather than giving him a small treat after each command. And vary it a little.

Furthermore, what kind of other activities do you two engage in? If your schedule is just: lounge at home, for for a walk, go to obedience class lounge at home, rinse and repeat, then I would be bored too. If you engage in a lot more activities (playing frisbee, doing some agility, working on tricks, going hiking, etc.) then he will have other activities to look forward to that will make him excited/make him think and obedience may not be as bad.

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted to add, that Usher is now doing great off leash- this is something that happened with my first dog "UDMiss Lacey CDX CGC etc......etc....." she was a mix and we did what we did. Once I took her off the leash, she was "TA DA" total different dog. My trainer actually asked me.......What are you paying me for? You know when to correct, you know what is going on, WHY do you pay me? ........I don't know? I enjoy the lessons. What more can you say?