BC Boards

Sweet surprise from Buzz's diagnosis

DH is a veteran w/PTSD, and one of the things this causes for him is a real difficulty in attaching/relating to other people, and a very reclusive, nothing makes any difference attitude. Buzz charmed his way into DH's heart early on, but Terry took no interest at all in activities with the dogs or their day to day routines and needs. He'd feed them if I asked, let them out into the yard if they needed it, etc, but nothing else.

Well, since Buzz has had his cancer diagnosis/amputation/chemo, Terry is taking a lot more interest. He walks Buzz every afternoon, making sure without my checking that he's got a poop bag. Earlier this week Sam had an upset tummy. I had to leave for work, and Terry re arranged his morning get together w/a friend so he could stay home and keep an eye on her. Then, Buzz had a rough night Friday night, (I think the chemo caught up to him, he had to go out and poop twice, and just couldn't settle and rest), and Terry got out of bed when I left for work and kept Buzz in the living room with him. This is , like, unheard of. No grumbling, no coaxing on my part, he just got himself up to be with Buzz.

THEN! This morning, we're just sort of having a lazy Sunday morning, and Terry, out of the clear blue, says, "The sheep dog trials are coming up, I thought I'd go with you this year." I was speechless. THEN, AGAIN!!! He says, "I wish we'd gotten Buzz to sheep."

Well, it's knock me over with a feather time. THEN, he says, "It scared the s**t out of me for Buzz. Don't want to let it slide anymore."

You may not know what a miracle this is for Terry and for me, but it truly, truly is.

YIPPPPPEEEEE!

Ruth, Terry n the BC3

Isn't the old expression, "Every cloud has a silver lining"?

Sometimes it takes realizing that we very well might lose something or someone before we realize how much they mean to us.

Best wishes to all of you!

If I may say so.."Praise God!!" :rolleyes: As I'm sure you've heard many times, and I believe it to be true, "Dog spelled backwards is God." I also have a Terry who's very remote, nothing like yours, just his personality! He adores Scooter and it's really the only time he'll loosen up enough to be silly and vulnerable. Tells me often that getting Scooter was the best idea I ever had. We had a scare with Scoots about a year and a half ago with a suspicious lump. When the vet called to tell us the biopsy was negative, we both cried like babies. They're amazing animals. I'm so happy for your breakthrough. May they both continue to make progress and heal. :D

Sometimes it takes a kick in the butt for us guys to wake up and see what we really have. I know how blessed I am to have Black Jack, but even I get into a rut and start to slack on agility pratice, training, etc. That's why I always wake up to his picture by my bed. That way first thing in the morning I can remember how blessed I am to have him.

Way cool Ruth; if you mean Sonoma County it is July 31 at 6 PM. See you there; maybe a black and white dog and I can pull off a good run with you watching.

I hope Buzz continues to improve. It is amazing how much these dogs bring to our lives.

That is really a silver lining, I bet it makes all the heartache with Buzz just a bit easier. Continued good mojo for you all. Thanks for sharing such a deeply personal story, it's a great reminder to fully live each moment we have.