BC Boards

Semi runny stools?

I've noticed something that baffles me. I'm feeding both Skyler and Piper Canidae and they love it. Skyler has been on it for months now and Piper made the switch about 2 wks ago when we got her. The thing is, and it isnt every time they go. When they poo the first half will be solid and then the last bit will be kind of runny. I don't know if they have any allergies as of yet, so I don't know why this is happening. My fiance is going to ask the vet tuesday when they both go in. Anybody have any ideas?

This is my totally uneducated and personal opinion - I've noticed that in both my Thoroughbred mare (she raced for six years) and my working-bred Border Collies, that they have a tendancy to "go" when they are either anticipating activity (a ride for her, work for the dogs) or right after being active (right after working livestock).

What I think is happening is that the digestive tract is emptying - fecal matter that moved through a bit more slowly ("normally" and without excitement of anticipation of a special activity) is firmer as more water has been removed in the intestine, and matter that moved through more quickly (excitement and anticipating building) is softer as it contains more water. When they void prior to activity (or right after), the poop contains some of this more-firm material at the beginning and the less-firm at the end, reflecting the passage of both slow-moving and faster-eliminated waste material.

I think that same thing may happen during "normal" elimination - the "drier" material is that which has moved through slowly and was in the rectum, and the "moister" material has moved more quickly through the last part of the intestine.

This is based on no knowledge whatsoever, just my wondering the same thing, too, as I've observed in my dogs (and others') as well.

Thanks Sue for your opinion. I think it completely makes sense. We currently take them out 1 t a time to go potty and the other will sit in the window just watching us until we come back in. Maybe it's the anticipation of either going back inside or for the other comming outside. We also were free feeding and maybe that had something to do with it also, because they both poop alot. Now we are trying three feedings a day, breakfast lunch and dinner. Then we will move to 2, not sure when you are supposed to but they are both almost 6 months.

You're welcome.

I think yours are easily old enough for just two feedings a day, measured out, and given about 5 or 10 minutes to finish, and then the dish and remains are taken away.

Free feeding could be part of the problem, and isn't really the best feeding approach at any age (barring a very good reason for it).

I don't think your "problem" is really much of a problem. If you haven't had their stools checked for parasites (worms, giardia, coccidia, etc.), you might want to take samples to the vet for a fecal check (make your samples as fresh as possible for the best results).

Best wishes!

yes, I read on these boards that there WAS a change and when I bought my new bag and emptied it into my bin, I then poured the older bag on top of it. I noticed the new stuff was lighter in color. Usher had a change in poo, I thought it was just due to our little trip, but it could be the food.

I have reason to question the food I have been using and if something has changed. I have tried to contact the company but they have not gotten back to me. All of my dogs had stool problems for about a month. We did not find anything wrong with them. The vet questioned the food but we have been using the same Medi-cal food formula for years. Last week they ran out of food so we opened a new bag and they have not had a problem since. The situation cleared up immediately so I am curious. I am reluctant to switch foods but if I could find a very high quality food I would do so. I am no expert on the subject of dog foods so I would welcome any suggestions.

• 10 years later...