BC Boards

2 BCs - not on a farm though ....

I have seen numerous topics regarding multiple BCs or dogs in general, but have a bit of a more specific question. Currently have a BC (14 months or so) and 'discussing' getting a 17 month old BC from a rescue. Still in the early dicussions and seen the posts on multiple dogs but we don't live on a farm. Single home, have some land but not acres just looking for any feedback of someone in a similiar situation. Thoughts, issues, goodness, badness of a situation like this. Our current dog is great, doing this more for a 'playmate' / pack perspective. Also current dog is a female the new one is a male.

Thoughts - feedback will be appreciated

Nobody *needs* a farm to have more than one border collie. I believe as long as you've got the time, energy and resources necessary to devote to multiple dogs, you can make it work wherever you live.

I have 3 dogs (not all border collies) and we live in a 1500 square foot house, with a smallish yard, in a mid sized city. I sure would love a farm, though. :rolleyes:

I have 3 dogs (not all border collies) and we live in a 1500 square foot house, with a smallish yard, in a mid sized city. I sure would love a farm, though. :rolleyes:

A friend of mine recently acquired a farm, and her tales of the things like "moving shit in a wheelbarrow" and other exciting adventures have turned me off farm life forever.

RDM

4 border collies(ish) in a studio apartment in downtown Vancouver.

A friend of mine recently acquired a farm, and her tales of the things like "moving shit in a wheelbarrow" and other exciting adventures have turned me off farm life forever.

:rolleyes: Hey, I could say I love things like moving shit in a wheelbarrow. But that would be a lie.

I could make it work, though.

I do have a farm but my BC's aren't allowed to run free anyway. They are in a fenced yard unless I have them out under supervision. Before that, I lived in a tiny house with a fenced yard in town. As Paula said, time and commitment is what really matters.

"moving shit in a wheelbarrow" and other exciting adventures have turned me off farm live forever.

Gee, RDM, you mean I couldn't convince you to help me live trap a family of skunks like I did last week???? :rolleyes:

Gee, RDM, you mean I couldn't convince you to help me live trap a family of skunks like I did last week???? :rolleyes:

If by "trap a family of skunks" you mean "go to the nearest bar and drink cocktails and tell people I am avoiding trapping a family of skunks" then the answer is YES.

Otherwise, the answer is NO.

We have oodles of skunks in my hood. Skunks and raccoons. To my knowledge, Wootie has never been skunked but he still won't go after them. It's like he knows ...

Fine by me!!

RDM

Now the bar idea sounds good to me!! Unfortunately (or fortunately..it's all in the way I look at it!) both the terrierests got sprayed by a juvenile skunk. I managed to get Jazz & Cricket to stay clear so at least I didn't have to bath all the dogs! and juveniles aren't quite as pungent as the adults!

Call me crazy, but I wouldn't mind one bit having to move shit in a wheelbarrow if it meant I could live on a farm. I actually have some experience with moving shit in a wheelbarrow from when I used to have a horse many years ago. So, I could put that I my farm resume, I guess. But, alas, I live in town in a 1300 square foot house with a dinky yard that is mostly swimming pool. I have one bc, one bc mix (most likely) and one Skittle(s) (devil dog). I also usually have anywhere from 1-3 foster bc's at any one time. When I exercise my dogs, we leave my house to do so. We usually go the the park or the beach. Yes, it would be nice to be able to step out into my back yard acreage to play soccer or frisbee or practice agility, etc., but its not in the cards for us right now. I'd bet my boots, though, that my dogs and foster dogs get as much or more exercise and interaction with me than many, many people who have large yards or farms.

I completely agree with Mary. I like the fact that I have to take my dogs somewhere to exercise them too. It keeps me motivated, because otherwise I might just sit out on the deck, have a margarita or 2, and throw a ball for them if I had endless room for them to run. But my dogs love to get out and it's good for them and their social interaction as well.

In the OPs situation I'd probably wait, but just because I like the current dog(s) to be mature and trained before adding another dog. Land or lack of it would not be a deciding factor.

I have my dogs (and BCs at that!) because I like to be active with my dogs. I just happen to live on a farm with sheep right now. But I will continue to have high energy herding breeds even when I don't live on a farm with sheep.

In the OPs situation I'd probably wait, but just because I like the current dog(s) to be mature and trained before adding another dog. Land or lack of it would not be a deciding factor.

Totally agree with that. Also, any additional dog should be first and foremost for you. There is no guarantee the first dog will be happy sharing his home with the second dog in particular or any dog in general.

I think you will find that the BC's on these boards live in a wide variety of situations. The success of those living arrangements hinge largely on the amount of time, effort and dedication the owner has to give. I live in a subdivision, on 1/4 acre, the larger portion of which is out front rather than my fenced in backyard. My BC draws raves from vets when they feel his lean, well muscled body. Most of his exercise comes from playing in the backyard.

Would he love to be a farm dog with sheep of his own to work every day? You betcha! Would he be happier than living with a middle aged woman, a middle aged Sheltie and a Lhasa who was a cranky old man at 3 months of age? Could well be. But is he happy with his life as it is? Sure seems that way -- other than putting up with the annoying Lhasa. :rolleyes:

Same here, and they do fine, actually, they're doing great. It wouldn't matter if I had a 4,000 sq ft house, they'd all still be up my rear anyway. Time is the important thing, if you have time and finances for two, it can work.

The farm is definitely not the issue. You want to think about the age and training levels of the two dogs though. I had enough problems with one adolescent dog and definitely wouldn't want two at once.

RDM: Actually, mucking stalls is a very relaxing activity. You can really tell that you are doing something! My health keeps me from mucking anymore and I actually miss the job. So yeah, I'd LIKE to be driving shit in a wheelbarrow.

OK, sluj, bexie and MaryP are invited to the Kelly Hayes Farm for as long as they'd like to stay. :D I'll supply the wheelbarrows but Mary must bring her own devil dog, so we can have a Skittles-and-Faith reunion. :D

Shetlander - This kind of creeps me out to admit it, but do you know Faith actually enjoys living with a Lhasa? :rolleyes: She flattens herself on her belly to play with him, so she can be at his eye level. What's even weirder is that Lhasa Arlo - I swear I'm not making this up - plays with Faith as though he were a normal, pleasant little dog. :D Violet keeps telling me No Good Can Come Of This. :D I'd be really freaked out if he weren't still consistently nasty to all the rest of us. :D

OK, sluj, bexie and MaryP are invited to the Kelly Hayes Farm for as long as they'd like to stay. :rolleyes: I'll supply the wheelbarrows but Mary must bring her own devil dog, so we can have a Skittles-and-Faith reunion. :D

It's a deal! Seriously, I'd take long days, dirty work, and physical labor any day over my life-draining desk job. Unfortunately, my desk job pays my bills, which makes it possible for me to play with my dog. :D

It's a deal! Seriously, I'd take long days, dirty work, and physical labor any day over my life-draining desk job. Unfortunately, my desk job pays my bills, which makes it possible for me to play with my dog. :rolleyes:

I know, right? :D I look forward to my weekends on the farm when I get to do all that dirty physical labor. Only right now I have to get up at 0500 to do it, because by noon it's so freakin hot you can't do anything outside. Well, you live in Florida, so you know how it is.

Anyway, whenever you and Skittles can come visit, please let me know. I'd love to see him again, and Faith would be over the moon. :D

Sally, thanks for the invite but I have a shed I could muck here if my health permitted. But it doesn't.

We have 7 horses and my mare is now at the stallion so we're hoping for a foal from her next year, too. So no lack of manure that could benefit from being moved. Lack of health instead.