BC Boards

Male or female?

I personally have a preference for males dont know why just do, hubby has a preference for females. He grew up with a female, so did I, but my picks have been males, his female so we ended up with 3 males 2 bc,1 aussie and 1 female bc. Love them all for what their personalities are not their sex, although our girlie can be a bit snarky at times.

If I could only have ONE dog I would generally go for a male (personal preference). For many years I had 2 male BCs who were best buddies. Then I added 2 females to the mix. The females were fine when I was around but I put them in different rooms while I was gone because I didn't want to take any chances (they did give each other the evil eye from time to time). Right now I have 3 males and 1 female. I kept 2 male pups from the litter because there were 2 bitches to choose from, one I didn't feel very attached to and the other was a clone of her mother. There was only room for one Freya in my life so I went for males instead. My next BC I am hoping for a female (in a perfect world she will be a smoothie with radar dish ears).

I realize that I have kept myself somewhat distanced from my dogs since my heart dog died 2 years ago. Like Melanie I realized that because my heart dog was a male that I was having a harder time bonding with a male. Recently though I have found myself allowing a strong bond to form with my 2 new males, perhaps allowing my next heart dog in.

Not to hijack, but aren't most "turn in's" males?- for rescue people- I noticed that males are mostly returnee

Actually, I think I've found the opposite. Females have complex minds, while males are more simple. Therefore, their problems follow that rule as well. Male problems tend to be digging and growling at children (sort of, run-of-the-mill problems), whereas female problems tend to be more mind-generated and more intense. There are more cases of dominance problems in males, but if there is a case of dominance in a female, it's way more intense. A boy will most always use his body to get what he wants, and a female will use her mind :rolleyes:

Actually, I think I've found the opposite. Females have complex minds, while males are more simple.

LOL!! :rolleyes: Kind of like the human animal!

On the weekends I end up with 4 dogs. Ruger my Border, Casey our Springer, BC/ACD mix, and a Chihuahua. Ruger is the only male. Our Springer and the BC/ACD both suffer with incontinence. Casey is on medication which works. They are both female as well. The Springer is the oldest and is the top dog. Nobody messes with her or her food. She will eat the other dogs food if she wants as well. You don't mess with the boss.

The Chihuahua is just plain nuts but I love her. She is the ultimate lap dog unless she is exercising her authority over the other dogs, except Case. I would never buy anything but a Border but the Chihuahua is a neat dog in her own way.

Ruger is just plain happy go lucky. If another dog eats his food, big deal. He has a frisbee which satisfies every desire. Take his frisbee, he goes and finds another one. However, don't come in his yard univited. :rolleyes:

Moral of the story, my next BC will be male.

Ruger is just plain happy go lucky. If another dog eats his food, big deal. He has a frisbee which satisfies every desire. Take his frisbee, he goes and finds another one. However, don't come in his yard univited. :rolleyes:

No way would Quinn or any of my dogs let another eat his food. Nor would I allow it. However, I put a lot of time and effort into training them not to fight over a dropped scrap or stray piece of kibble and Quinn is the first to back off from that sort of contested prize. But I can't attribute that to his basically sunny temperament. All my dogs are very intense about food.

When I did my Border Collie hunt, I wanted a black tri male. I ended up getting a red tri female. :D Dont pick just one sex and base your decision on that. You might end up passing up the greatest dog for you. I always said I didnt want a female dog, but my Foxy is everything I could ask for, shes affectionate (attached at the hip and wont leave me alone!!! lol) and playful and loves everyone and everything. She has never been a moody grumpy female, or snarky. She is willing to share everything of hers with any dog....she is just one big goofball.

Its cool if you let the dog pick you. My Sheltie did that. It was one of the coolest things I ever got to experience. He was the best looking pup out of the whole litter to me, I was so suprised that he hadnt been snatched up already! :rolleyes: and my dear Foxy was one of the last of her litter left.... I guess she was always meant to be mine too :D