BC Boards

Male or female?

I have heard and read so many different things about male and female BC's, I need a second opinion. Which is your personal preference? I don't care if it is a biased opinion :rolleyes: Is there any traits you have found to be consistent through a certain gender?

I have liked and disliked individual dogs of both gender. For me, it would be more about which dog to choose than which gender to choose. My first dog was a female and for my second dog, I set out looking for a female and ended up with a male. Both were/are great dogs.

theory is that females are usually better to train since they're more concentrated on you while males want to sniff around and stuff.

Although people say females are also more moody than the males that when they're good they're highly consistent.

i read something that in "scores" it would be something like this:

males 9.5 9.5 9.5

females 10 8 10

I agree with Ninso!

I had my heart set on a male and a sure fire plan to pick him. I was allowed to pick from a litter of 8 BC's (5 males and 3 females) and narrowed it down to my 2 favorite. When I checked the sexes, wouldn't you know they were BOTH female!!!! So, I figured it was a sign and just picked from those two. I went with the more independent female.

Just go with your heart..and don't worry...he/she will probably pick you.

I have a male BC and he is very cuddly, loving, smart, and ready to play at any time. I haven't had any female BC's before, so for now I like males :rolleyes:

This has been on my mind as well because I'm coming close to getting my next dog in the next year and I have since decided that I'm going to let the individual dog shine through even if it is a female (I had started out looking for a male) I'm still not totally convinced a girl can win my heart but we'll see.

If you're going to be picking a pup from a litter, my best advice is to pick a pup that you like, then see if it's a girl or a boy.

not so fond of going for a walk and a male always having to mark, mark and then mark again...

If you have an affectionate female, they are gentler toward other dogs which I like. I just love the gentle female dog/B.C. Eluane is very gentle; a perfect balance of activity for a Border Collie. and has never ever had these notorious bored B.C. destroy the house kind of behavior, chew up the shoes, etc. However, again it's the personality of the dog. I feel somewhat safer with a female because I feel like I have to be like a marathon runner to keep up with a very active male B.C. and I am very slight in physique.

I have had both sexes and been around many of both genders. As other posters have said, it is best left up to the individual dog. That being said, I do find that I have always prefered males and that they tend to have the personalities that I want. Males tend to be much more affectionate and goofy and glued to your side - a spay/neuter helps here with either gender.

Just remember that either gender can have dogs that are behavior challenged and it is best to pick from a litter if you can. However, every time I have done so I have always picked a male. Both my BCs are males - one from a litter and the other from a shelter but I searched and searched for the right shelter dog.

As far as training goes they are both Border Collies! Sheesh, if a male is harder to train (which I dont really believe) you then have the second easiest dog in the world to train :D The only exception would be with potty training as in general males are easier and take less time. But again, it really depends on the dog. If it were me, I would go and see the litter and look for a fun loving goofy boy preferably. But in all honesty I think I would let the dog pick me and let them steal my heart. Isnt that what its really about anyway? :rolleyes:

Ryan

not so fond of going for a walk and a male always having to mark, mark and then mark again...

Only if you LET them!

If you have an affectionate female, they are gentler toward other dogs which I like. I just love the gentle female dog/B.C. Eluane is very gentle; a perfect balance of activity for a Border Collie. and has never ever had these notorious bored B.C. destroy the house kind of behavior, chew up the shoes, etc. However, again it's the personality of the dog. I feel somewhat safer with a female because I feel like I have to be like a marathon runner to keep up with a very active male B.C. and I am very slight in physique.

Actually, many females can be quite bitchy. Give me a male dog fight over a female dog fight any day! The calmest, most laid back BCs I have owned have always been males. Activity level has much less to do with gender as with the individual. Really, there are not many generalizations you can make about male vs female BC. A few of them are...

Bitch fights tend to be worse than dog (male) fights.

Bitches can sometimes be moody, males on average are more "even" tempered.

Bitches tend to show aggression more often than dogs.

It has been my personal experience having owned and fostered many BCs that males are more focused on the handler and are more willing partners. Females tend to think a little more highly of themselves.

But it all comes down to personal prefernce. I like having some of both.

In my experience, any gender differences seem to follow the family lines and are not breed wide.

We have found it easier to manage a large pack of one gender; we prefer females because they are less likely to be into marking (note; females will mark just like males).

In the lines we prefer, we find the males mature slower then the females.

Mark

For some reason, when we were looking for our BC, I wanted a male, which is what we ended up with. He's a very sweet and loving dog. Funny thing though...for some reason, almost everyone who sees him says, "Ohhh...she's such a beautiful dog!" :rolleyes:

I have had more females, as pups, than males. I find males are slower to mature. Once mature, there really isn't much difference. Males tend to be a little more cuddly, as a whole, but it's still the individual dog. I'd go by the parents if it's a pup. It's also how you raise them. Either way, you'll love them no matter what sex they are.

Really, there are not many generalizations you can make about male vs female BC. A few of them are...

Bitch fights tend to be worse than dog (male) fights.

Bitches can sometimes be moody, males on average are more "even" tempered.

Bitches tend to show aggression more often than dogs.

It has been my personal experience having owned and fostered many BCs that males are more focused on the handler and are more willing partners. Females tend to think a little more highly of themselves.

I may only have one BC of my own but I do know an awful lot of them and I think your assessment is accurate as a generalisation.

Ours unfortunately is an exception - he isn't a cuddly male in the slightest.

Pam

They don't call 'em bitches for nuthin'!

I have two (well 3 at the moment) males and one bitch. I wouldn't mind another girl one day, but I just find the males a little easier to manage. Piper is a little firecracker!

My dogs do not "mark mark mark" on walks because I don't allow this.

RDM

One more thing I do love about male dogs is that when its time to go to the restroom they do it quickly. In my experience, females sniff and sniff and sniff as if they have to find just the right spot to go - like they are afraid to offend certain patches of grass or something. Its really aggrivating when a dog takes their sweet time to go when its pouring down rain! Speaking of which, both females that I have had hated the rain. It was a pain to get them out the door in the rain. But once they were out there they piddled around forever but looked as if the rain were making them melt. :rolleyes:

All of the males I have had have gone quickly and would instantly do so 100% of the time on command by the time they were 2. My Skyler was the best at this and would try to go even if he didnt have to just by telling him to "finish up".

Ryan

Alex is a female and the only BC I have ever had. She marks her territory more than our male Labs do. Like Mr. Snappy said about Piper she is a firecracker, but I knew after seeing the litter that she and I were meant for each other.

Funny note. Jackie wanted a female Black Lab and got Elwood, a male. I was set on a male BC and got Alex, a female.

You'll know the right dog when you meet them.

Mary

Among the BC's I know, I see a bit more snarkiness in the females and the males being slightly slower to mature and having what I think of as a certian loveable goofiness to them. All my dogs but one have been boys, so my prejudice is towards that sex. But I've known many girls, including my own, that I think are wonderful.

My husband's female, Pepper is more aggressive, independent and bitchy. Marks way more than my male, popcorn. But loves people and other dogs.

My male, Popcorn, is cuddly with me and family. Ok with other dogs or else chases them out of yard. Either ignores people or else, or is A BIG crab with people who push themselves on him.

Trust me let the dog pick you. Each time I was set on a certain gender,either the opposite picked me or else I ended up with the opposite gender, and it worked out wonderfully and I never regretted it for an instance.

I think if you have a single dog it makes no difference which gender the dog is. Get the dog you like best.

If there is an existing dog in the household it's usually a good idea to take that dog into account. If there are two dogs I like one each gender. Now I have one male (my favorite) and two bitches, and I will not have any other male Border Collies while Solo is around, because I don't think he'd tolerate them, and because there is no space in my heart for another male.