BC Boards

Murmur and bordetella vaccination

toffeeman

Hello,

I recently took my 7 year old Border Coliie to be vaccinated against bordetella (kennel cough) as she was going in kennels and she hadn't been vaccinated since she was a puppy. I was aware that she had a "mild" heart murmur but she wasn't on any medication and the vet wasn't concerned and she had no visible signs of having any problems with it. About a week after having the vaccine she developed a cough, which after the initial concerns about the heart murmur I assumed to be due to the vaccination, but the vet said she required a heart x-ray which subsequently identified an enlarged heart.

It seems to me a strange coincidence in the worsening of her heart condition so soon after being vaccinated for kennel cough having gone in a perfectly healthy dog and I'm upset and guilty about what I may have done to her in getting her vaccinated. I can't get any reasonable explanation about the reason for this nor for the possibility of a link between the vaccination and the enlarged heart condition. Has anyone had any similar experiences, what do other BC owners think ?

Thanks,

RM

Welcome to the USBCC boards! I am sorry to hear that you are having health concerns about your dog.

Had you had a baseline or periodic heart x-rays taken so that you know whether or not the enlargement was a new development, ongoing, or "all of a sudden" at the time of the vaccination? I am not at all familiar with this condition and so I have not a clue as to whether heart enlargement can be gradual or sudden, or what might cause it.

What does your vet say about the condition and his/her feelings about how such a condition might proceed over time?

I am sure folks will contribute advice to help you with your question and wish you the best with this worry you have about your dog's health.

IMO, bordatella is the least likely vaccination to cause problems. I've never heard of a dog developing an enlarged heart as a result of bordatella. It is common for dogs to develop a symptoms of bordatella after the vaccine, one of which is coughing. That said, coughing and lethargy are the two most common symptoms of heart problems.

How old was your dog when she was diagnosed as having a heart murmur? When was the last time (if ever) you had her heart x-rayed? This could just be a natural progression of heart disease and the timing of the vaccination was just a coincidence. I do minimal vaccines for my dogs so I'm not pro-vaccine by any stretch.

Dogs with heart murmers may not display any symptoms until their condition suddenly worsens - coughing, fluid retention, etc. There are drugs that can help keep your dog comfortable, including digoxin, lasix, ACE inhibitors and diuretics. You can also modify your dog's diet, reducing salt and adding heart/circulation support like CoQ10 and taurine.

Sadly, congestive heart failure is eventually fatal :rolleyes:

IMO, bordatella is the least likely vaccination to cause problems. I've never heard of a dog developing an enlarged heart as a result of bordatella. It is common for dogs to develop a symptoms of bordatella after the vaccine, one of which is coughing. That said, coughing and lethargy are the two most common symptoms of heart problems.

How old was your dog when she was diagnosed as having a heart murmur? When was the last time (if ever) you had her heart x-rayed? This could just be a natural progression of heart disease and the timing of the vaccination was just a coincidence. I do minimal vaccines for my dogs so I'm not pro-vaccine by any stretch.

Dogs with heart murmers may not display any symptoms until their condition suddenly worsens - coughing, fluid retention, etc. There are drugs that can help keep your dog comfortable, including digoxin, lasix, ACE inhibitors and diuretics. You can also modify your dog's diet, reducing salt and adding heart/circulation support like CoQ10 and taurine.

Sadly, congestive heart failure is eventually fatal :rolleyes:

Thanks 3dogslater and Sue R for your comments; I've never had a heart x-ray done on her until now. The murmur was diagnosed when she was a year or two old but she's never shown any ill-effects up to now and hasn't been on any medication for it. She was seen by the vet quite recently, before the vaccination, who said the murmur was mild and nothing to be concerned about (at the moment). Now she's on medication for the murmur and to reduce fluid on the lungs. The cough now seems to be clearing up and she's due to go back to see the vet in a few days. Apart from that, she seems her usual energetic, playful self. I guess I'll just have to keep an eye on her.

As someone who recently started taking an ACE inhibitor, I would caution against putting a dog on them willy-nilly. I spent the first several weeks unable to stand up without taking about 15 to 30 seconds to catch my balance, couldn't concentrate, couldn't stay awake for more than four hours. They can also cause kidney problems and severe muscle pain on exertion. They tell me they're a wonder drug -- sometimes I wonder what's so good about them. I guess they reduce cardiac remodeling, and supposedly I'm less likely to have another heart attack or sudden cardiac death because I'm on them, but they are a solid kick in the pants until you get the dose right, which I would think would be very hard to do with a dog.

• 9 months later...
Lucy was taken from us on Saturday - such a short life of 8 and a half years. We can't come to terms how sudden this was from the initial diagnosis just over 6 months ago. RIP Lucy - you'll be in our hearts and minds forever

Oh, gosh. That is really a tough one. I am so sorry.