BC Boards

Juno wants to chase cars!

I'm glad its working for you. The only caution I will add is that you can actually hurt a dog far worse with a halti than you can a well fitted flat or prong collar. My vets hate the halti, and my chiro vet says she's had a client break a dogs neck with one. Remember "power" steering comes with a price, and just because it looks "nice", and feels "easy" doesn't mean its gentle or safe. That's up to your hands, an if she hits it hard...well, just try to prevent it.

Journey I've had dogs hit the end of the lead with a prong and I've never seen anything "driven" in. Somewhere uneducated people have built a myth about prongs being "sharp". It's not ideal for them to hit the end of it, but its far safer imo, than a head halter. At least it's not wrenching their head around at the brain/spine connection.

What I like about the prong is that you can get effects with little actual movement on your part. You don't have to let them go through a big yank to make a good strong point (pun, so intended)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No problem. However, where in the h*** did I say or imply that the "prongs" were "driven" into the dogs neck??

You didn't say that, but what you did say was that the dog wearing the prong hit the end of the flexi while running full out and flipped over. That kind of force will drive the prongs into the neck. I don't mean break the skin, although that could happen if the dog hit the end of the leash hard enough.

If the prong doesn't cause pretty significant pain to make quite an impact in this instance, why use it at all for this purpose? I am truly curious about this, not being contrary or judgmental.

If the prong doesn't cause pretty significant pain to make quite an impact in this instance, why use it at all for this purpose? I am truly curious about this, not being contrary or judgmental.

How would you know until you try? If it didn't work the first time (or even a second time) I would try something higher on the list of serious corrections. In life or death situations I'm willing to take a correction pretty darn far to ensure the long term safety of my dog.

Jan good to hear that it is working with Juno. I hope you get through her tough shell (its seriously the thickest I have ever seen), I think she will be a great partner once you do! I can't wait to see how big she is when you guys get back!