BC Boards

Was I right or wrong?

Just had rather a bad experience at the park. I was exercising my two and we were playing with a rope ball and a bouncy ball. A large, friendly rottie puppy 4 to 6 months I'd say - wanders up to us. His owner is some way off. At this point both my dogs are relaxed and focussed on me. I let the poopie say hello, but don't touch him myself . Meg tolerated him and then wandered off, but he got too 'in your face' with Rhiw, who responded with a snarl and a chase. It was just what I call 'handbags'. Nothing sinister about it. Poopie runs off. I have my two both sit and focus on me again.

Thought it was over, but no. Mr Rottie Owner starts yelling that I have a vicious dog, that collies are viscious and rotties have a bad reputation they don't deserve and people call for them to be put down. That I should have my viscious dog on a leash etc etc. I just say 'No my dog isn't viscious' then have both my dogs walk calmly to heel, and out of sight.

It wasn't an unprovoked viscious attack of the kind I read about all too frequently. If it had been I'd have been mortified. Rhiw was just signalling that the poopie had overstepped the mark, surely.

It rattled me though. :rolleyes:

Don't you just love people who leave their dog/pup loose to get in some other dog's face, and then it's all your fault that your dog "told him off" in proper dog language, and you have vicious dogs, too?

I have only ever had my dog to one large dog park and, based on our experiences there, I won't be bothered going to one again. We had other dogs taking his ball and the owner couldn't get the dog to obey ("he won't give you your ball back and never listens to me") and return so we could get our ball back. Other dogs/pups were left to their own devices while their owner spent the time on the cell phone and couldn't be bothered doing anything with their dog/pup, so the animal spent its time bothering my dog who didn't want to play with it; etc.)

I realize though that not everyone has an alternative place to take their dogs for exercise and play. Most people who love their dogs and frequent the parks I am sure are responsible owners but some are just run-of-the-mill jerks. Too bad you had this experience. It seems to mirror too many other folks' negative experiences with dogs and owners in public dog parks.

Sounds like you did right to me, and that rottie dad needs to watch his pupper better, and get a grip about being overly sensitive about the breed he owns.

I also agree that you and your dog acted perfectly appropriate. The rottie needed and received a correction, as did its owner. This sort of experience, or worse, unfortunately is a risk we run if we are out in public with our dogs. Just walking down your own street can be problematic, depending on the dogs and owners in the neighborhood.

I also agree that you and your dog acted perfectly appropriate. The rottie needed and received a correction, as did its owner. This sort of experience, or worse, unfortunately is a risk we run if we are out in public with our dogs. Just walking down your own street can be problematic, depending on the dogs and owners in the neighborhood.

I agree.

You were 100% right. Part of growing up in dog-world is learning what behavior is appropriate and inappropriate. Your dog was playing teacher.

I always yell ahead of me, "My dog might not be friendly" when ignorant owners have young frolicky dogs off-leash. I could actually yell, "My dog is going to try to teach your dog a lesson," and be completely accurate. I figure if I give them a warning and they still let their pup charge me (or have so little control they can't catch him), it's their problem.

Mary

One of my dogs, a mature bitch who had raised a litter, was tackled and knocked flat by a 10 month old Golden puppy. She snarked in his face and chased him briefly (maybe 10 ft) but never actually made contact. The owner promptly told me off for having a vicious dog.

It happens ALL the time. I think it partly has to do with BCs being fun police type dogs who want all other dogs to behave properly like they do. Many other breeds are happy go lucky and couldn't care less.

Wow, that guy better lose that chip on his shoulder or he'll have high blood pressure before his pup's a year old! :rolleyes:

Of course you were right. But lots of novice dog owners freak out when an older dog corrects a pup for being too full of itself. I think I remember one or two on this board (no longer around) who posted about their older dog suddenly turning "vicious" when they brought in a young pup. This fellow probably had never had a dog before, and loves his little tub o' feet and fur beyond all reason, and just didn't understand what was actually happening.

I'm sure it was unsettling for you to get hollered at, though. You did the right thing by not engaging in like manner, and just leaving. Much better than I'd have done, I have to admit.

Of course you were right. But lots of novice dog owners freak out when an older dog corrects a pup for being too full of itself.

Like many have said already, Elizabeth, your Roo was well within his rights to correct said puppy. Skye does this all the time, esp when there's a toy involved. What the owner needed was a lesson in doggie-dynamics, not to mention social graces :rolleyes:

You acted like the adult. Don't fret - if you see him again, I'd let him know that Rhiw was teaching him doggie manners and he would have gotten a lot worse IF in fact your dog was vicious. I usually tell approaching puppy owners that if Skye has a ball, she will in no uncertain terms not be interested in playing with their puppy. Heck, she even growls when she's swimming with a ball in her mouth if another dog siddles up to her in the water!

Ailsa

You showed considerably more restraint than I would have! After owner "confrontations", I've often told the clueless human to "read a book."

In this case, the other person was certainly more wrong having their pooch so far away and not calling for them BEFORE they approached your pups.

Thanks for the reassurance folks. What I needed to hear. The poopie wasn't in danger of pinching their toys - I had both of those - but yes, I bet Rhiw saw it as an unwarranted intrusion by a boisterous upstart.

The irony is, I rather like rotties!

This sort of experience, or worse, unfortunately is a risk we run if we are out in public with our dogs. Just walking down your own street can be problematic, depending on the dogs and owners in the neighborhood.

AMEN!

That's why we don't go to dog parks very often any more. You never know who is going to be there. Last time we were there someone let their child in the park running with a ball in their hand... I need not say any more except thank goodness Poke has been through obdience training.