BC Boards

Puppy Concerns!!!

I have had my puppy for just over a week now and she (8.5 weeks old) is starting to show some concerning behaviors.

-In terms of obedience:

Lately, she has begun wandering further and further away from me on walks and when being taken out to "go potty". She is also more resistant to coming when being called. (hence, Why I'm working on the "here/come" command like crazy. I'm on 16acres of land so traffic/roads are not a problem. I just don't like the willingness to venture so far off. Is she just getting comfortable and wanting to explore the many smells, sights, and sounds? OR should I be concerned at her willingness to leave my side?

-In terms of emotions:

Lily absolutely hates to have a leash attached to her collar. She immediately screams and resists, followed by a complete "shutdown". She lies motionless unwilling to budge and gives me one of those pouty looks you see in animal rescue commercials...you know the ones.... :rolleyes:

Also, is it normal for her to be very affectionate one minute (Loads of kisses!) and then not want to be touched the next....to a point where she backs away when you go to pet her. I have never "popped" or hit her, so I know that is not a concern of hers. Is she just displaying a "female moodiness" that some female bc's can have?.....hot and cold.....

-Jeremy

First thing... SHE IS A BABY!!!! Of course she is going to want to check out the world, it's all new.

Secondly... Have you done anything to make putting on the leash a positive thing?

Now is the time for her to start learning that YOU are the source of everything good in her life...

and work on socialization. It's THE best time for her to be meeting people.

- Yea she I always give a "sit" command followed by lots of treats while attaching the leash, however, I never have a chance to do anything fun with her once it's on. She immediately wigs out.....

in regard to socializing, yea she is meeting lots of people and animals, socialization with my people has gone really well. She gets smothered with love by all my friends and family.....no lack of love and affection for this little lady....

with the leash the best thing to do is get her to a flat place where she can't get tangled, put the leash on her and let her drag it around.

Even if she "shuts down" she'll eventually move and will probably even start playing around with it. It's a strange new things, it's alright that she does this.

Regarding her driffting off it's being a pup and also personality, it's one of the ways to see what type of dog you have...the one that sticks close to you and lets you take control of situations, and the one that has the courage to venture off alone.

One thing you can do when she wonders off a little is to fall back (hide if possible) when she finds herself alone she'll get scared and look around, after a few seconds call her from your hidding spot...she'll come running back (hopefully :D) do this a couple of times and she'll understand it's not too fun to run away from you, and that the fun lies with the owner.

It's a great way to build bond with your puppy and it's the perfect age to do it too.

Good luck..let us know how you get along :rolleyes:

She sounds like a typical puppy to me. And at 8.5 weeks, she is a baby, BABY puppy in need of much patience, consistency, training and management. It is totally normal for puppies to dislike the collar and leash at first. I find that a flexi leash often helps puppies get used to the concept. There is much less tangling of feet, getting jerked to a stop, etc. On the other hand, I couldn't use a flexi with Quinn because he was sawing through most leashes I put on him when he was very young. When you have Lily on a leash, use lots of treats or a toy to help her keep moving along and focused on something else. Keep "leash breaking" sessions very short and very fun. Most puppies have tiny attention spans and Quinn had the attention span of a strobe light at Lily's age. I would attribute Lily's on and off affection to normal puppy ADHD. Quinn was rarely affectionate with me until he was 5 or 6 months old. Now he is full of BC hugs and kisses -- though he'd still rather play than cuddle.

Have you ever done puppy recalls? This is where you sit with one, two or more people and take turns calling the puppy to you. When she comes you give lots of praise and a treat. Then someone else calls and she runs to them for lots of praise and a treat. Puppies love this game and it is fun for humans too. :rolleyes: Whenever you are outside (or inside for that matter) have treats in your pocket or a bait bag to reward the puppy for coming when you call. And never, ever, ever punish her after she has come to you -- no matter what she just did before she came, no matter how angry you are. You want her to associate coming to you with only good things.

Since she sounds like an independent little girl, I would work on getting her used to the leash and then keep her on leash when you go outside so she does not practice disobeying your command to come. In fact, unless you are very confident she is going to obey, do not call her but instead go to her. Again, don't let her practice unacceptable behavior. If she is on leash, you can call her and give very gentle tugs towards you and then reward when she reaches you. But don't even do that if you think she is going to fight about it. You do not want to drag her towards you or get rough in any way because -- the recall should always be a fun, positive thing for her. One last tip... practice doing recalls and then sending her back to explore or play. Too often smart little puppies quickly figure out "come" means the fun is going to end. If "come" means a quick check in and treat, then back to what she was doing, the recall will stay positive for her.

Welcome! This is all good advice and I would heartily second Liz's suggestions absolutely!

The foundations you lay with her as a young pup will be the most important ones in her life so now is the time to get it right. Puppies are like little children - they may fuss and squirm and squawk and holler, but you have to have more patience and perserverance than they have, and you will win in the end, and have a well-behaved and well-socialized youngster as a result.

Keep "lessons" fun and positive (remember that everytime you are together, it is a lesson, whether you think you are training or not); don't allow her to disobey (keep her on lead outside, and you can even have her tethered to you inside - a great way to keep an eye on her and catch her before she might have an accident in the house or get into trouble); keep training short and sweet and frequent ("attention span of a strobe light" - I love it); and expect her (like all babies) to wildly vacillate between activity and sleep, wanting attention and independence, cuddles and rowdiness, etc.

Remember also that pups go through definite stages at different times of life - fear stages, adolescent stages, and so on. Be prepared to see big mental changes as well as physical changes, and be ready to deal with them. You can use the search function at the top of the page to find many good topics concerning puppy-raising.

Liz's last paragraph is particularly helpful and well-written. It should be a great help to you.

Best wishes!

I am guessing this is your first puppy? Welcome to the wonderful world of border collies. Sounds like you have a nice bold little girl on your hands. I too suggest attaching the leash while you're at home and then let her be. She's going to fuss and shut down let her go, she's got to figure out for herself that its not going to hurt her. After she's up and moving around the house with it for10-15 min take it off and let her relax w/o it, then later put it on again. As for her wandering off another thing you can do is when she's off in her little world trot the other way calling her in a high pitched happy exciting voice. As soon as she comes running lots of reward and happy praise. As for running hot and cold dogs vary as much as people. I have 3 bc's and an aussie, my eldest bc is a snuggler, as is my female, my youngster comes for snuggles when he's ready and my aussie is on his own terms at his own time. Remember she's a baby has a short attention span and training sessions should be short and sweet 5-10 min at a time a couple times a day

O.K. .... Well, I'm doing things mostly as I should. I just didn't want to set a bad example for her early on. I read all the typical BC/puppy books and was worried after re-capping Swann's "The Complete Border Collie" because her pups were "supposedly" constantly at her side at 6 weeks of age.....

I will absolutely try letting her run around the house with the leash dragging behind for periods of time.

And I tried the "continue walking away and hide ideas"much like Pat and orion mentioned....it worked very well....I'll keep that up. I found that jogging a little further away really helped (the distance really caught her off-guard). I'm thinking the willingness to wander is also because I walk her down the same path a lot and she feels like she knows the area, as well as, her way home. :rolleyes:

When I first got Foxy (she was 12 weeks old) she wanted to wander quite a bit as well. I worked through this, and tried to stay calm, because sometimes its hard to relax and remember they are just babies. Now at 9 months, I can have her off leash at a farm and she wont wander. She wants to stay around the same area I am at. Dont worry, theres nothing wrong with your puppers! Just try to be patient...I know it can be difficult!

As for the leash, I go along with what everyone is saying...let her get used to dragging it first.

Sounds like you are definitely on a good track to having a great companion. =) Good luck!

Can I ask what type of leash you have her on? I ask because the lead I bought first for our little one was too heavy for her and she resisted, once I saw a puppy acting really well on a really light and thin nylon lead I realised the error, I think a small and light lead might go down better, that way she shouldn't even notice that she has it on. Try putting it on her when she is just lying down, in her crate or playing. Should help. Cali didnt like her lead for the first few weeks but is better now, although she still bites it from time to time.

Kat x

It's a 4 foot long, 1/2 inch thick generic Petsmart leash.

-Although i'm fairly sure that's not the problem at this point. She just hates the restraint aspect of it. She tugs wildly against it about 5 or 6 times yelping wildly...then shuts down as mentioned earlier. I'll give an update though later in the week after I've let her drag it around the house for a few minutes each day. She doesn't mind the actual leash...she even tries to play with it, but as soon as the metal hook clamps onto the ring on her collar......it's war!

-If she continues in this regard...I may try the body harness style so at least the leash does not pull against her neck...

Have you tried letting her actually drag the leash rather than you holding it? That would reduce the restraint aspect to nil...

Try making the leash experience very positive and letting her chill with the leash on her, just dragging on the ground for short amounts of time until she gets used to that, then try picking it up and praising for the one tiny second she doesn't freak out. Then drop it again, keep doing this until you're handling the leash and she's okay. Don't push her, she's a little baby still.

As for your concerns towards her affection levels. You have a stereotypical female, haha. She may grow out of it, some pups are too busy exploring to want to sit still for hugs and kisses and may become more "cuddly" as they grow up. But she may not, just love her for who she is and she'll be the most loyal dog you'll ever know.

Good luck with your little girl and take lots of pictures! (Secretly that all we want here :rolleyes:)

Awesome! I'm looking forward to trying out the leash tips through out the week. They are very appreciated!

Here is a photo upon request:

She is a tri-color (the only one in her litter of 8) with tan on her back legs, cheeks, and eyebrows.

post-8938-1215382399_thumb.jpg

You've been given lots of great advice about dealing with your very cute little 'madam'. I would just add - use a very light leash - probably lighter than the one you've got - and also get yourself a long light one for use outdoors so she can have lots of independence, but you are still in a position to make sure she doesn't practise behavior you don't want.

The other thing I would do is put her leash on each time before you feed her. Get her food ready, put it down, have her some distance away but where she can see her food, put her leash on, and let her go. I'm betting she won't even notice the clip going on.

I would also do lots of clip leash on, high value treat and praise, then unclip leash - rinse and repeat.

She sound like a smart cookie - remember, as Pat Miller says "If you're not training your pup, your pup is training you." :rolleyes:

Awesome! I'm looking forward to trying out the leash tips through out the week. They are very appreciated!

Here is a photo upon request:

She is a tri-color (the only one in her litter of 8) with tan on her back legs, cheeks, and eyebrows.

post-8938-1215382399_thumb.jpg

OMG she is sooo cute!!!