BC Boards

We need your thoughts

Everything has been going good for me and Black Jack over the past few months. Until Tuesday. We had to make a run up to Casper for a Dr. appt. He stayed in his crate all the time, but with the A/C running all day. So I know he didn't get hot. But half way home he started whining and when we stopped he had bad diarrhea. After another stop later on and more cleaning up we made it home. He got some Pepto and half supper. He was better by this morning but around noon he got it again. He has a touchy stomach so I figured it was probaby something he ate. He has been really different tonight. He just walks around the house trying to find a comfortable spot, but won't/can't say there for very long. I take him out every so often even though he doesn't have to go. If he's not better by tomorrow I guess we will take a trip to the vet. Do you guys have any idea why he would be feeling bad? He hasn't had any food change, no change in treats, and hasn't eaten anything outside. I'm a little worried about him. He's never jumping off the walls, but he is normaly happier than this.

Please keep an eye out for any attempts at vomitting that are unproductive - that would be a key sign of bloat and something that requires emergency treatment. The inability to get comfortable generally indicates some form of stomach/abdominal pain. Is he standing funny? Trying to stretch out? Maggie did both those things when she got into too much dog food; the vet had us keep an eye on her and it all worked out, but I also fasted her and the vet had us limit water, so I'm sure that helped a lot.

Good thoughts for Black Jack - keep us updated!

Thoughts are with you. We've been through many trips to the ER in the middle of the night with Scooter with vomiting and diarrhea. Sometimes no reason was ever found. One time he had all the symptoms of bloat, but tests revealed nothing. Soooo stressful when your buddy is sick. Hang in there. :rolleyes:

He still has diarrhea today. It's a little worse than yesterday even with the Pepto. He stumbled a couple times last night before bed, and woke me up twice to let him out side. Today he just doesn't have any energy. He moves from place to place trying to get comfortable. He hasn't thrown up so far. He wanted to play this morning but tired out in two or three throws. He doesn't have the spark in his eye. I made him an appt for the vet today. I didn't want to go all 4th weekend without seeing the vet. Thanks for the good thoughts. I'll let you know what I find out.

Has he been swimming lately, or drinking from pools of water in the wild? Annie has just gone through the same thing. Due to heavy rains, wild animal feces that contains parasites to which the wild animals have developed a resistance (in the same way that Mexicans can drink local water without becoming sick, while those unaccustomed to the water can become ill) were washed into the water in a local river. Annie went swimming, and contracted the parasite. With medication to kill the parasite, she is okay now, and will be more resistant to the infection if she encounters the same situation in the future.

Just a thought...

Good luck - hope all goes well. It's always tough seeing a dog having troubles or discomfort. I've often pleaded - "Just this once, say something and tell me what hurts!"

Ohhhh yess!! If only!

When we lived out west I traveled a lot with the dogs for goose work. My best dog came down with the same thing you describe several times. We had him to the vet but we could not find a reason for his problem. One evening he was acting much the same as your dog and my thought was that he was in pain. The following morning I took him out of his crate to go to my vets house for some work on sheep. I told my vet I did not want to work him hard because he has been feeling ill. My vet checked him out and took his temp. It was out of site. He called his office and told them to expect me and get my dog in immediatly. This lead to a further investigation. It turns out that the dog has an intestinal paristite that I can't remember the name of at the moment. In any case this is the cause of the problem and it still happens. It seems to happen more frequently when he has been traveling with me. He has a medication we use for several days when this flares up.

He still has diarrhea today. It's a little worse than yesterday even with the Pepto. He stumbled a couple times last night before bed, and woke me up twice to let him out side. Today he just doesn't have any energy. He moves from place to place trying to get comfortable. He hasn't thrown up so far. He wanted to play this morning but tired out in two or three throws. He doesn't have the spark in his eye. I made him an appt for the vet today. I didn't want to go all 4th weekend without seeing the vet. Thanks for the good thoughts. I'll let you know what I find out.

AJ,

Have you seen the vet? What did you find out? We're all thinking about you and BJ. It sounds like he's just miserable ...

Ailsa

He saw the vet this afternoon. She looked him over and figured out that he has an intestinal infection. I'm supposed to hold food for 24 hours. Which is hard as heck becuase he loves to eat. I feel terrible for not feeding him, even though it's what's best for him. He's on Endosorb and Tribrissen for the diarrhea and the infection. He is a little bit better tonight. He played frisbee for a few minutes in the yard. I sure hope he's better tomorrow. I miss the happy go lucky Mr. wiggles :rolleyes:

Good thing you saw the vet before the long weekend and that she prescribed him something for his tummy. I am glad Black Jack is already feeling better and wanting to play.

We've been having a simmilar "party" for the last week, with Ouzo having diahrrea so bad that yesterday and last night he asked us to take him out 10-15 times. After two dosages of PeptoBismol caplets last evening and strict food regimen of plain kibble and rice, he seems to have gotten over it. Crossing my fingers he won't wake us up again tonight :rolleyes:

Glad to hear Black Jack is starting to feel better. Ouzo, too.

But it is weird--Sophie had diarrhea last night, too. First time she went in the house since she was dx with hypothyroidism and put on meds. And it was right after I posted how her diarrhea had completely stopped after starting the Soloxine. Too strange. Fortunately, she seems to be feeling better now, too.

Last night was long at best. I got to bed around 12:30 am and was back up at 2 am, 4 am, and 5:30 am. I didn't sleep much in between that either. He could only get to sleep on my bed. So he slept up with me all night. He still has diarrhea after four diarrhea pills and no food since yesterday morning. I'm hoping that they start to help him more. I'll see how he is today. If he's not better today I'm supposed to take him back tomorrow morning.

That's what I told him too. So unless the ball gets kicked by accident he hasn't been playing.

AJ, make sure he drinks plenty of water, he can get dehydrated very quickly while he's having so many watery stools and it's hot outside. You might want to give him just a bit of rice, if he seems hungry - it can only help with his stomach.

It took about 12 hours for the meds to kick in when Maggie had colitis (stress related, which caused bacterial overgrowth); hope Black Jack is on his way to feeling better.

Try freezing some half chicken broth/half water mix and giving him an ice cube rather than drinking straight water on an upset tummy. The chicken broth will tempt him if he doesn't want a plain ice cube.

You can cook rice with extra water, (like a 4 to 1 ratio instead of 2 to 1) and make a kind of creamy soup that is soothing for the tummy as well. If you try to feed him anything, only small amounts.

Poor guy, I hope he feels better soon.

Ruth n the BC3, who have been through this sort of thing many times